It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fascinating Portraits of Micronations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
A Micronation is a Nation claiming to be independant or sovereign but not officially recognized by other governments of the world.

In 2012, fascinated photographer Leo Delafontaine began documenting them, visiting six countries and three continents to capture life inside the unique mini-states. The people he met were eccentrics determined to carve out their own place in the world - and so they did exactly that.

There are many reasons for the founding of the micronations, ranging from symbols of defiance, to boost tourism or solely for fun. Current reports put the number of micronations scattered around the world at approximately 400, with more being created every year.

Delafontaine hoped the pictures would not only shed a light on the little-known phenomenon, but also provoke 'the need to think about the geopolitical, national, and cultural questions that micronations generate'.

Republic of Molossia
Where-Nevada
Population-27

Kingdom of Calsahara
Where-Pennsylvania
Population-Varies between 3-10
(Friend And Ally of Molossia)

The Conch Republic
Where-Key West, Florida
Population-24,909

The Principality of Sealand
Where-About 8 Miles Off The Coast of Suffolk, England
Population-4

These are just a few of them, feel free to visit the article to see the rest, and click the photographer's name above to visit his website to see even more I'm sure. This is so incredibly fascinating! I didn't even know we had 3 micronations here in the US! Though, with as disillusioned some are getting, it wouldn't surprise me to find more and more popping up down the line. I love the Danish Teacher one, The Kingdom of Elleore. If you bring the book, Robinson Crusoe, it's an automatic 11 minutes and 17 seconds in jail. LOL It's essentially one week away from school, so no schooling is allowed. LOL Some of them are very cute, and some have a social message. Some are no longer in effect due to a founder passing away. Still, all are very fascinating!

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Hmmmm I recall earlier about an unofficial nation called the Republic of Lakotah.

www.republicoflakotah.com...
edit on 22-3-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Kingdom of Calsahara

Is that the great desert of southern Pennsylvania? WTH?

It sure doesn't look like Pennsylvania. Looks like New Mexico or West Texas.

V

Oh I think it is in California. Cal Sahara i get it now. Need to update the OP

edit on 3/22/2015 by Variable because: I found it!

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Very interesting. I had previously read a very similar article which may have been the source. You always find great little news crumbs out there! S&F.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

They left out the Republic of Cascadia. At first, I was bummed but then I realized we aren't a micronation because we are a real one. Yeah... that must have been why they left us out.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Hmmmm I recall earlier about an unofficial nation called the Republic of Lakotah.

www.republicoflakotah.com...

I actually prefer Republic to "Reservation". I'm glad they changed it. It sounds better and more Proper. Good for them! It has a Thumb in the nose to the US if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Variable

Kingdom of Calsahara

Is that the great desert of southern Pennsylvania? WTH?

It sure doesn't look like Pennsylvania. Looks like New Mexico or West Texas.

V

Oh I think it is in California. Cal Sahara i get it now. Need to update the OP

It said it was located in PA, it's possible the photo was taken in the fall near farm land???

The Kingdom of Calsahara was founded by passionate micronation fan Travis McHenry, who declared himself king of his plot of land in rural Pennsylvania in 2009 and took the title of King Montague. He had previously also exploited a legal loophole to declare a huge swath of land on the Antarctic continent for himself. The name 'Calsahara' comes from a combination of California and Sahara.

So this photo could have been taken near his rural PA home, or when he had the swatch of land in Antarctica that didn't have snow.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Very interesting. I had previously read a very similar article which may have been the source. You always find great little news crumbs out there! S&F.

Thank you for the compliment!

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

They left out the Republic of Cascadia. At first, I was bummed but then I realized we aren't a micronation because we are a real one. Yeah... that must have been why they left us out.

If you have pics, feel free to share them, where you're located, and roughly your population. I'll add you!

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

If you have pics, feel free to share them, where you're located, and roughly your population. I'll add you!

ROC

Here's the Wiki on Cascadian movements in general: Republic of Cascadia

It almost happened for real at one time. Initially, we weren't even supposed to be part of the states, much like Texas.

Wanted to add that Bigfoot is our national animal. How cool is that?
edit on 22-3-2015 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-3-2015 by Cuervo because: added stuffs.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

It said it was located in PA, it's possible the photo was taken in the fall near farm land???

I looked at Wikipedia (source of all infallible knowledge) and it say this:

The Kingdom of Calsahara was founded on 24 November 2009 on a barren tract of land a few miles south of the unincorporated community of California Valley, California.

It appears we have a mystery. The photo doesn't look like Pennsylvania at all.

V

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

ROC

Here's the Wiki on Cascadian movements in general: Republic of Cascadia

It almost happened for real at one time. Initially, we weren't even supposed to be part of the states, much like Texas.

Wanted to add that Bigfoot is our national animal. How cool is that?

Ok, definitely cool! Do you have a leader? I'd love to learn more!

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Variable

I looked at Wikipedia (source of all infallible knowledge) and it say this:

The Kingdom of Calsahara was founded on 24 November 2009 on a barren tract of land a few miles south of the unincorporated community of California Valley, California.

It appears we have a mystery. The photo doesn't look like Pennsylvania at all.

V

Hmmmm, we do indeed.......Makes you wonder, anyone frisky enough to get in touch with the King? LOL

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Well you missed Transnistra. Which is a breakaway from Moldova. They still worship the Soviet Union and long for the good 'ol days of communism. I don't go there as an American although I have been in Moldova for most of the past 10 years. Far as I know it is not officially recognized by anyone except maybe Paranoiana (Russia)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubSea
Well you missed Transnistra. Which is a breakaway from Moldova. They still worship the Soviet Union and long for the good 'ol days of communism. I don't go there as an American although I have been in Moldova for most of the past 10 years. Far as I know it is not officially recognized by anyone except maybe Paranoiana (Russia)

I only know of the ones mentioned in the article, but truthfully I'm thrilled to add more! Feel free to add any you might know of. Post any pics you may have, the population, if you know it, and the location, or where it's near.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Transnistria

Map of where it's located

Country flag

Where-near Moldovia
Population-555,347 people

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Republic of Cascadia

Map

Flag

Militia advertisement

Where-Washington state, Oregon, upper California and British Columbia
Population-Roughly a little over 15million people
edit on 3/22/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join