It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help - Database Planning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I started with my database using MySql and think I will be able to write a database. What I do not know is how to find the structure to suite what I’m tying to do the best.

It is a normal worldwide user site where registered users create a profile and are able and responsible for their own editing. The site is open and will have no log-in to search and the information will be what the users put in.

My problem is in the search: The search must be page related where small user thumbnails will be rotating. This means you must first go to the Country to search the information you are looking for (users will be grouped by Country). The search filter works By Name, By Location and By Date

Thanks

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ICycle2

By "page related", do you mean the results need to be filtered based on page they're on?

Is it ultimately a database of members? Like a directory? Or are the members primarily taking a contributor role?

edit on 21-3-2015 by Cuervo because: spellinz

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
All databases are basically an array or arrays of variables. I follow you so far(I think) . The question for now is will you be using 1 , 2 , or all 3 of the strings to cross reference ? I.E. Name , name + location , name +location +date so on and so forth . That is the beginning . There are excellent flow charts out there that can be used to map the arrays .Then once the entire data structure has been designed and working without error , all that is needed is to map the variables returned , both input and output to the variables for the fields on your website. I know this is very vague and over-simplified , but to go any further would take a huge thread here and a lot of time .

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I f you are searching large pile of data in db it is important to have proper indices. For example if you are searching by name AND location, both columns should have common index. If you are searching name OR location then both columns should have own indices.
Try to design your db with simplicity in mind. JOINs are performance killers.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
It sounds like the database schema is what you are having trouble with, to start with keep things simple. If you are still in the early stages then I would not worry too much about the search functions just yet. Once the database is better defined it does help in building the search tools. If designing effective searches was easy then google would not be the size it is.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

By "page related", do you mean the results need to be filtered based on page they're on?

Yes, surfers will go to the Country page of choice. Now if a search is executed only the information of that specific Country will be search.
This was already done by a web-developer who got stuck and then disappeared. It does work but it was only done to work in one Country, my Country. I could find nothing in his partial work about other Countries, not even the search. As this was the second developer it became clear I will have to learn and do it myself even if it takes a year or two.

Is it ultimately a database of members? Like a directory? Or are the members primarily taking a contributor role?

It's a database of members that must pretty much work like a schedule. The members will update their own info for people to search

Basically what I think I am trying to ask is: will it be better to save the info as per Country for the search or do I just let the search sort my Country as well. My current location is the town
edit on 1C152015-03-22T19:44:08-05:00SundayAmerica/Chicago2 by ICycle2 because: You take a guess

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ICycle2

Yes, surfers will go to the Country page of choice. Now if a search is executed only the information of that specific Country will be search.
This was already done by a web-developer who got stuck and then disappeared. It does work but it was only done to work in one Country, my Country. I could find nothing in his partial work about other Countries, not even the search. As this was the second developer it became clear I will have to learn and do it myself even if it takes a year or two.

It's a database of members that must pretty much work like a schedule. The members will update their own info for people to search

Basically what I think I am trying to ask is: will it be better to save the info as per Country for the search or do I just let the search sort my Country as well. My current location is the town

I would just keep the "country" information as part of the line item of each entry. Search filters can be implemented on the user end and that will do most of the work for you.

If you are using links (or buttons) as a gateway (as in, they have to click on a country first before accessing the filter drop-downs), I would create a separate page for each country that is filtered by default. It's redundant but snazzy if you are trying to create an impressive user experience. Unless you know how to create a custom macro, I'm not sure how to get around that.

Is the site built with a specific CMS or is it totally custom. Depending on the CMS you're using, there could already be some decent solutions that will allow you to import your database via CSV file.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

The first developer used Dreamweaver/WordPress combination but couldn't find answers to some problems. He was basically just playing for more money and took me for a ride. I caught him bull-#ting and stopped giving him money as he got double what he quoted. He then tried to claim my domain name and I nailed him but couldn't get any work he done from him, he said he want shares for his extra work which I didn't see but decided to leave it behind and move forward.

The second one used Joomla but it became very quickly he couldn't do what I asked for. So I stopped his money 10% above the agreed fixed price

Now its me that do not know what he's doing trying to teach myself. I just basically mastered html and css3 and do not use a CMS and do not want to. I now want to start with my database and once that is in position I will start with php

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

It's crazy what people will charge for developing a Wordpress site. I do it locally for small businesses and literally charge 1/10 what the local firm charges and it looks better, too. Sorry you were getting screwed. If you are still on a Wordpress, I can direct you to a great directory solution that I personally use. It's only about 30 bucks and it's extremely flexible. I'm still trying to work it into my own projects (in a retrofitting sort of way, hah). I don't know what the rules on ATS is about linking to it even though I'm not affiliated with the product but, if you want, I can PM it to you.

It also allows for CSV importing and front-end user entry so you can load it up in bulk and your members can manually alter their own entries, as well.

So far, it's looking to save me a ton of future headaches vs what I was doing before. Let me know and I'll PM you.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
here4this
JanAmosComenius
kwakakev

I need to thank all of you. Firstly I thought, what a bunch of typical answers, and then I decided to investigate them all again. Although no single answer helped me solved my problem, the combined suggestions and rereading of my downloaded info gave me the route. I need to thank Cuervo especially for his pin pointed questions/answers. Hopefully I will only need to ask help again once I start with PHP.

join