It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No, You are NOT a Warrior/Operator/Revolutionary!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Wait Ya I just remembered the name too I think... Hmmm ya I guess I heard about the new one from some vet buddies just BS'ng and I don't see anything else online either.... (Edited to add: nm I just found video of the one my buddy was talking about.. Lucky dog with your top secret vidya game knowledge!!!)

And just a little tidbit to add to the topic.. I've spent a lot of time fanboying SOF guys and pretty much just being a little kid go Joe wannabe. Even all through my 20's lol. SOF guys are very reluctant to talk about stuff especially if your not a vet but I've talked with enough to know that it's NOTHING like what you would imagine. When I asked the most expirenced of my friends what the most scared he has ever been was his answer surprised me a lot... Had nothing to do with combat...

his fire team had a civilian intelligence guy with them.. Mid 90's so use your imagination. No sand either, without waves anyway. But this guy said his fire team was bombing through the jungle when the lead guy jumped over a log and then hit ground like a sack of potatoes. He said the second guy went down right behind him. My buddy being the third guy he approached a little slower only to find his 2 friends in a hand to hand battle with a giant snake lol. Knives and swear words flying they handled the situation but he claims it's the most scared him or his teammates ever were. He said "Combats the fun part once your used to it, it's the creepy crawlers that always got me" lol no thank you. Camel spider as a bed mate sounds about as fun as using a hammer to pull a toothe.
edit on 21-3-2015 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

Wait Ya I just remembered the name too I think... Hmmm ya I guess I heard about the new one from some vet buddies just BS'ng and I don't see anything else online either.... (Edited to add: nm I just found video of the one my buddy was talking about.. Lucky dog with your top secret vidya game knowledge!!!)

One day the kids will be able to run scenarios and practice real life marksmanship from the comfortability of their own "theater" lol

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

And even then the best player in the world at that video game will still be in trouble the first time he's gotta walk 6 hours from the y to the x and then gets stuck defending the x for days without sleep or spare food cause he couldn't carry it that far..... War is brutal. If you reallllllllyyy examine soldiering... The fun is only about 5% of what you do, 95% of the time it's lethal bordem or nagging misery.... No video game to practice that lol

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Or details...

Lots of "hardcore infantry" dudes never did much outside of landscaping and janitorial duties.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

you are absolutley right but training like this is still fun for the guys doing it, I used to love live excercises too even if they were physically and mentally demanding. In a way training is like a sport, practical application your life is on the line not so much like playing. Practice like you play and with enough luck you will do ok. I at 29 years old miss the days when we would do brutal PT and run ranges like range 300 and 310 alpha, in all honesty my rememberance of my time in the ME and other locations are mostly good ones alot of good being with my boys in the #tie3st places, I miss the cynical jokes and the sarcastic banter. I don't miss other parts of it in some ways I wish I could share my brotherhood I had with my guys to the whole world, it requires all the bad stuff to make you like that.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Or details...

Lots of "hardcore infantry" dudes never did much outside of landscaping and janitorial duties.

Of course not especially not swabbing the company office if you ever had to hold a swab at port arms then we are brothers lol grunts dont rake volley ball courts either!

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I got a buddy who is a 19D...They un-affectionally refer to their MOS as 19Details.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

In the Marine corps we just call them "boots"

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Hey you mind me askin, your in the big army? Rangers?(Do they have their own air?) 160th soar? I've read your a door gunner right?

Anyway.. Any rumblings in the active duty community about what Leon Panneta said about afgansitan lasting another 20-30 years at least? I know most vets would welcome the chance to do afgansitan right but I'm curious what the feelings on the ground actually are? Anyone said anything?

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I'm a Blackhawk crew chief and door gunner, yes.

Never needed 160th to work SF missions...Especially in Afghanistan.

As far as doing it right? We tried. An then, like every other war since Vietnam, the politicians got involved.

Now we are busy trying to pick up a turd from the clean end.

Most people just wanna leave.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

and hes half assing it with the pinky out how about smartly locked thumbs fully engaged palm over palm, I wouldve locked him on " ICE, ICE... WTF IS ICE HOW ABOUT AYE SIR! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE VAL KILMER? GET ON YOUR FACE BOOT!"

I actually just had some nostalgia looking at that pic hahahahahahaha

My brother is a boot in the special operations wing in Texas hes a mechanic HOOAH!
edit on 21-3-2015 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I'd say for the most part afgansitan was being done right... Just so much clusterfuk in the middle. Imo if we step back and reasses and reassmeble the forces needed in a way we KNOW they will work, it'll be a piece of cake. It'll take foreverrrrr but it'll be way easier then the logistical political mess we've been in.

More Jtacs too... Everything I've read says we need more qualified and skilled jtacs. Even read about one that had to fight through dyslexia to do his job!?!?!?!?! man o man....

Take all these tactics and ideas with a grain of salt lol but I'm pretty much just parroting other sources. If we could somehow supersize what Jim gant and others like him were trying to accomplish and back them with a JSOC like support structure it could be done. Give us a good staging area for isis and extremist islam too and help us be less reliant on Israel and Saudi arabia, All good things Imo.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

i agree with you. i stated in a forum once that owning a gun won't make you safe. hours and hours of training will help but even that is no guarantee of survival. if you have to think "is the safety off?" it's already too late. you're in trouble.

for most people, the best option is invest in some quality camping gear and have an exit strategy. i for one am not a trained military man. i will avoid confrontation at all costs. i will hide. fighting is only a last resort.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

6. People you care about die in combat. You are neither prepared for, nor do you understand the process of watching your friends die while STILL having to do your job. God knows as a soldier I wasn't prepared for it, I have no doubt someone with no training and ideas of grandeur would fall apart the second an enemy bullet pierces the skull of your closest buddy. Stop pretending you could handle it. Stop pretending that it's something you could do.

S&F OP!!!!

I think this could apply to quite a lot of members on ATS, and I have to say mostly Americans, its really strange but in Europe we don't seem to have quite the same obsession with being GI Joe.

I could rant about this all day but I think your rant sums it up quite well, there are way to many hero fantasists out there and its dangerous.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Last December my heat pump went out and the guy they sent over had seen my gun safe in the garage and proceeded to talk tactical hypothesizing SHTF scenarios and telling me how he is teaching his 10-year-old how to shoot a 1911 in case someone breaks in while he isn't there.

I just wanted him to fix the damn heat pump and couldn't wait for him to leave. I am not all that interested in that stuff anymore, I lost sight in my right eye from an IED many years ago. I still like to shoot now and then retraining with my left eye, but I just feel like walking away when conversations turn to that sort of thing.

I like your rant.

Dry to hear that!!!!

Have you tried to make muscle memory using the other eye?

It does take a lot of time and effort( so I am told, no personal experience here, but I was born left eye dominant right hand fire. I adapted early in life to using my right eye to shoot, I can qualify expert with either hand, I have in fact.) to do this in adult life.

I have sort of lost interest in shooting since my pops passed it was something we did a lot together, but I have no interest in getting rid of any of the guns either. I am probably going to sell all the reloading equipment soon I can't justify keeping it.

I was easily able to adapt with the handguns but with the rifles I doubt I ever will. I have thought about an off rail scope, thinking about it is probably as far as that will go. Who knows maybe I will feel different about it all in a few years.

My concealed carry has a laser sight which I re-zero periodically so if the circumstances arise every little bit helps. I have never been a prepper though occasionally I will shoot the sh!t with other vets, but I just don't get along with the wanna be Rambo's.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

What about the nonphysical aspects? I've heard that some people are just better soldiers than others, regardless of physical strength and training. For instance, if I recall correctly, 20% of fighter pilots have been found to score about 80% of the kills, (I think that was World War Two data) and American regiments recruited from rural areas were often considered better fighters than their urban counterparts (again, Second World War data.) Untrained, inexperienced troops have repeatedly bested regular forces on the field (granted, said inexperienced troops usually gained experience pretty quickly.) Any thoughts on this, OP? I think you're right that the latest gear does not a warrior make, but what about motivation and the will to act? You touched on it briefly, but do you think good soldiers are born or made? If training can't prepare you for the moment when the shooting begins, what can?

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: StalkerSolent

Once again it isn't the gear, the guns, or even the military experience. Its about the effort one puts into education in these areas, the UNDERSTANDING that PT is a core aspect, and that motivation is key.

I've known many people who never stepped foot in basic training, but are some of the most squared away people in terms of being tactically and technically proficient out there. BECAUSE they are motivated, because they seek the training, and because they know what is and isn't necessary gear.

This post isn't about those people. This post is about the keyboard warrior, the mall ninja, and the tacticool operator that buys multicam and grows a beard to impress people with.

I'm addressing the fakers, the Rambos, and the "preppers" without a plan to get out of their own apartment if there's a fire let along a SHTF combat-is-likely scenario.

I'm talking to the stolen valor dbags who fake an entire life lived by better men and women than he for the sake of a discount at Starbucks and unearned "attaboys" at the mall or airport.

These same people go out and out of sheer boredom make YouTube videos spreading false tactics and lies that could get them and others injured, killed, or arrested. These same people in a real situation would become a dangerous liability to everyone else, never mind the dangerous and self serving bs they tell themselves and others when the waters are calm.
edit on pSat, 21 Mar 2015 16:44:19 -0500201521America/Chicago2015-03-21T16:44:19-05:0031vx3 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
My personal unimportant opinion....does anyone really deserve the title of "warrior" any more?

I have yet to meet anyone who deserves such an accolade.....and i served for many years.

A little rule of mine, don't judge. The most unlikely people surprise you when push comes to shove, and they aren't always
in uniform.

"Warrior" to me just doesn't fit with the modern day combat scenario. It's a different age. Different reasoning behind our actions.

Yes we are sent to do some crappy things, which we train and are more than well equipped for.

When many years have gone by, many more than just a few years in uniform, we sometimes discover that no-one should feel the need or have the right to say who is and isn't a "Warrior".

I say this to anyone serving right now, wait till you've served, then escaped the confines and sheltered life of the uniform,.....then you'll see what it takes in life to be tough.

If you claim someone is not a warrior, it kind of sounds like you claim to be one instead and they don't meet the standard. If i am wrong, i apologize, but that's how it sounds to me. Remember, serving and wearing a uniform does not automaticaly make us heroes that are above anyone else. It can sometimes mean very different, and it just takes some years to realize it.

Be proud of what you do, be quiet abut what you do, but don't judge.

No offence meant to anyone by what i say, i'm just injecting a little realism where needed.

CX.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Are you saying law enforcement doesn't respect anyone but other law enforcement and politicians?

That is complete BS and very judgemental.

Do you know how many LEO's are ex military?

I hope I misunderstood what you said.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join