It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Facebook trend driving me BONKERS!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This is my first rant, but I feel it's valid.

So has anyone seen the new, fake news trolls on Facebook? It's bad enough the flood of satire news out there, but now we have this crap.

So the setup goes like this: your scrolling through your feed and see someone has posted what looks like a legit news article. Usually something with high shock value, but believable. You see it and your all "holy crap I can't believe that, that's crazy" See below for example:

So you click the link, take the bait, to see just what the heck is going on and then BAM!! You get the below image:

Now don't get me wrong, I have a good sense of humor and enjoy a good joke even when It's at my expense. What I DO have a problem with it this day in age with the internet is the ridiculous amount of disinformation being spread on a daily basis. This is a problem in my eye's.

Since my time here at ATS, Iv'e gotten a lot better at picking out the disinfo from all these stupid and bias news outlets. Some are harder than others but my eye's have been opened enough that generally if its a really one sided article I will research to find out what the other side says. The problem with this joke crap is most people wont click the link and get hit with the troll. They take the face value of the post and then immediately start spreading the disinfo by word of mouth.

Most of these folks think "I seen it on facebook" means it must be true. IT'S HORSE CRAP PEOPLE!!! GET YOU HEAD OUT OF YOUR A** AND STOP SPREADING THIS BS!!!!! FACEBOOK, YOU SUCK AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!

end rant.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
What's more pathetic, clicking on a news link about pro sports, or being upset the news wasn't real?

Just kidding OP, that would but the # out of me lol, so glad I don't read FB news feeds

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Yeah, I'm not a sports guy really, but Urban Meyer and the Buckeys's are a big deal in my hometown and you tend to get sucked in.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Don't use Facebook?

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

Personally I find it interesting that someone who has a FB account and actually clicks on the links sent to them can be annoyed.

I don't use FB for reasons like this (so many other reasons as well) so couldn't tell you what the interface even looks like but I know what to expect from it.

Anyone who signs up and uses FB gets what they deserve IMO.

Nothing personal of course but...

Jude11

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: SgtHamsandwich

Yeah, I'm not a sports guy really, but Urban Meyer and the Buckeys's are a big deal in my hometown and you tend to get sucked in.

I definitely don't know what any of that means.

You should make your own "news traps", but with breaking conspiracy news!

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Agreed, it sucks.
There has been one floating around concerning a fake snowstorm on the East Coast of the US....
Wouldn't you know it.... we actually got one. Ha ha!

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Go to Google, type in "how to permanently delete my Facebook account". You will be a better person for it.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11
a reply to: and14263
a reply to: Shakawkaw

Social media has just as many pros as it has cons. I have many friends and family all over the US and to have them all together in one place at any given time is invaluable to me. I'm not so disconnected from the world that I spend my time under a table with my tinfoil hat on.

I come here to ATS to get news, usually unbiased, faster than it hits most MSM outlets. Usually that news filters here through social media from the ATS members all over the world in close to real time where things are happening.

Knock facebook all you want but you being here is not much different than being on facebook. Yeah on paper a forum by definition is not the same as social media, but the times have changed so much since social media was defined that the line between the two are so blurred that you really can't tell the difference. Only main difference is here you have a mod presence keeping the trolls at bay where on facebook you have to do it yourself.

edit on 3 21 2015 by SgtHamsandwich because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yeah I seen that one as well.

Sucks you guy's are getting hammered like ya'll are. It's quite the mess.

edit on 3 21 2015 by SgtHamsandwich because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

HAHA...I wouldn't really expect you too. It's all good though.

I definitely don't want to be part of the problem. I'll spread meme's all day long but no "fake news" for me. I do have standards, very low standards, but they do exist...lol

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Don't use Facebook?

What he said... I would use Facebook sparingly. I would treat it like Ghost Pepper sauce, best used in tiny amounts and probably infrequently.

V

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

ATS is definitely social media and as you say has its pros. Not for me though, it sapped my time in the past with no good results, unlike ATS - saps time but provides knowledge.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
(post withheld)

edit on 21-3-2015 by iunlimited491 because: trollface lol

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I took a selfie on the toilet.

Illustration below, see

edit on 6America/Chicago41Sat, 21 Mar 2015 08:41:17 -0500218u15 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Does anyone else get embarrassed when friends you respected, show their true [naff] colours through facebook? Someone you thought were informed and 'different', suddenly keeps posting every meal they eat or every little item they bought for their flat; but worst of all, they post these really dumb memes for you to spread or 'words of wisdom' and suddenly you see them in a completely new light?

Fortunately all my FB friends are people I have actually met and whilst the above happens, it is only a handful of people. But sometimes someone I thought better off will still amaze me with a totally puke-worthy post and I have to rethink their overall character.
I'm not proud of it but that is what happens.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I'm not very popular with my FB friends right now.

I went on a very detailed and expletive filled rant about how they idolize the inane ramblings of others and how they mash on the like button until they get carpal tunnel. I said that the only reason I joined FB was to maintain contact with my closest friends and if they keep posting irrelevant BS memes or other such mind melting nonsense then I will not respond.

My friend posts on his girlfriends wall even though she is sitting five feet away and he can tell her in person, but nooooo, he has to get egotistical brownie points by posting on facebook so he can get the "awwwww how sweet" from his girlfriends friends who may or may not have had the cerebrums replaced with drywall.

Welcome to the facebook nation.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
Does anyone else get embarrassed when friends you respected, show their true [naff] colours through facebook? Someone you thought were informed and 'different', suddenly keeps posting every meal they eat or every little item they bought for their flat; but worst of all, they post these really dumb memes for you to spread or 'words of wisdom' and suddenly you see them in a completely new light?

Fortunately all my FB friends are people I have actually met and whilst the above happens, it is only a handful of people. But sometimes someone I thought better off will still amaze me with a totally puke-worthy post and I have to rethink their overall character.
I'm not proud of it but that is what happens.

Oh totally. I have blocked many of old friends and family for that matter on facebook and IRL because of that. People your like "wow, I didn't realize you were such a (insert appropriate descriptive word) and you annoy the heck out of me"

I used to be like that in the beginning, would post any and everything but since have pulled away from that. I will post the occasional funny video or picture. I stay away from the political crap as it's all very biased and I don't know what can be believed so I just don't believe any of it. I keep in touch with people that matter in my life, send pics of my 3 year old and such.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Yeah people get hooked on them (
likes) like crack. Some folks get so enamored with it, they develop a psychological disorder.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Variable

Exactly. I have a FB account, although I only log on every 2 months or so. My excuse is that my life isn't interesting enough to be on there more often, and there is too much narcissism on there. I also have less than 20 ppl as "friends" which apparently makes me odd according to some study I read a few years ago, which I can no longer find.(wish I could find it)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join