It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel and Line Jumping

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Who is to say we are not traveling back in time now as we speak, from our futures?
Perhaps we are the past of the future that are here to make the changes now to save our dumb asses from this self destruct road we have put ourselves on.
edit on 3/20/15 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I agree. I'm not entirely convinced that time travel is possible just because the equations work out right. I want to first see evidence that wormholes actually EXIST let alone are able to be manipulated to achieve vast distance travel or time travel.

That would be nice. I know that mathematics allows the little spaceship in Asteroids to instantaneously jump from one side of the screen to the opposite. But that wouldn't work in real life.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I have never really given much thought to time travel aside from Einstein's predictions, whereby one could travel near the speed of light for some length of time, return to their point of origin, and arrive with this origin point having experienced a significantly longer passage of time than the voyager himself experienced. Then there is the idea of wormholes, but I think this has more to do with spatial destinations as opposed to temporal destinations. Now if I had to speculate...IF for some reason there were an infinite number of universes or instances whereby past events are still playing out in one of these other places, then it might be possible to visit them. But think about it...why would the past still be occurring in some other universe if the passage of time is on par with our own universe or place? For instance, traveling back to the Old West. This only seems possible if that other universe or place is a 100 or so years behind our own time line. But why would this be the case? Some divergent event that spawned a new time line would likely spawn a time line that is even with the time from which it diverged. Or to put it another way...you have to decide to take a cookie from the jar. In our universe you take the cookie, but this spawns a divergent universe or time line whereby you didn't take the cookie. Thus the time is the same in both places. So how could a divergent event cause time to turn back hundreds of years?

That is just one way of looking at though, but it is hard for me to understand why past events would still be going on, even if there were multiple times and universes. But IF there were an infinite number of universes, whereby things worked out in such a way that time was skewed or whatever, then it would be extremely unlikely that traveling to an alternate universe would land you in a place that looked anything like what you are used to. Everyone would have three arms, or everyone would look like Snoop Dogg, or dinosaurs would have developed nuclear weapons.

But there are numerous instances of people finding themselves experiencing a location as it was in the past. Usually this does not involve being transported to a completely different location, but instead is the exact same location as it was in the past. I think there might be a clue here. I don't know what that clue is however, lol.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Stars for everyone, because you are all awesome in my book : D Let's have a time travel discussion party trip sometime lol

a reply to: Rhiannon

Wormhole Is Best Bet for Time Machine, Astrophysicist Says

The Physics of Time Travel

Basically it has to do with using a wormhole. You take one end of the wormhole as your initial anchor then pull the other end through time to some future destination. This would allow two way travel back and forth in time, but you would never be able to travel past the one anchor point because that is as far as the wormhole goes.

Oh yea, you would also need an insane amount of energy, so you'd probably have to harness the power of a star.

But if you are creating the wormhole to go to a specific time, the opening would be there for you to go back through.

I like to ask people if they think that time travel will ever ever ever be possible even if it's a million years from now, and if there answer is yes, then I say (and believe) that mean we have time travelers now.

How does anyone know they need the power of star? I have to admit, I get lost when it comes to the power of stars. Are they saying stars are like dynamite, so to speak, and that's how much you need to blast through 'whatever' to time travel

There is that whole theory that aliens are really us in the future, which would explain a lot of things.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JiggyPotamus
Now if I had to speculate...IF for some reason there were an infinite number of universes or instances whereby past events are still playing out in one of these other places, then it might be possible to visit them. But think about it..

ha ha! crazy I love it, thinking about it just blows your mind. Maybe there is no past, everything is happening simultaneously
o_0 wheeeeeee

What do yu mean experiencing a location as it was in the past? Like I go to my back yard and a tree that I never remembered seeing before is there now? ohhhhh I think I remember hearing something along that line.

Are you all watching Continuum and 12 monkeys? Love 'em both. And Terminator of course.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

you will never be able to jump back to your original time line
a reply to: Android X

Great subject, thanks. Unfortunately, I think you're leaving out something important, our dreams. Most people believe that they live in one dimension, one time line. I don't think that's true. We are multidimensional beings who live on any number of additional time lines and dimensions (while dreaming,) who return to a stable, linear dimension when we wake, even if we don't remember or believe. I think we "time travel" all the time. JMO

Interesting. I have some pretty great / crazy / sometimes scary dreams. A dream is actually what led me to find ATS. Hmmm I have to find that thread somehow, now that I think about it.

I've never thought of dreams as time travel, more like being free to travel without the body, but I've never dream visited a time in history, but I have had dreams of some pretty cool other worlds. And flying of course, nothing beats flying dreams!

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
We are not in the 3rd dimension. Our linear experience is strictly 3d but governed by 4d. 4d is what our currency is based on. You are paid for your time and or energy. 4d is duration.

Physically, we are like fish in an aquarium. The walls are the 4th dimension, containing the "lower" 3 dimensional plain but the entire assembly is residing in a 5th dimensional space of some sort and serves a purpose similar to a playstation or maybe a nightclub. Who knows really?

Pretend you are in the 5th dimension and you are selecting an experience (which is probably what the currency is based on there) on a terminal of some sort. You enter a code and the experience is provided. This code is your DNA. The DNA allows for a linear experience in "the tank". Perhaps the overwhelming and unlimited power of one's consciousness at that level creates a desire to "just get away", like a vacation, game console or meditative device. Some sort of "enjoyable handicap". Enjoyable, from a "higher" 5th dimensional standpoint, might also consist of extreme pain & loss!

If I was a 5th dimensional time travel enthusiast with the ability to maintain a motive for durations of time, I would have the power to infiltrate anything inside that 4d container and would likely go for financial structures, education, entertainment, sciences and intellectual properties. My kind, until I mastered the domain, would be without a country. One secured, I would have a safe haven to invite other 5th dimensional beings in that I like. Together, we would dominate this domain until we wanted to hand it over to time travel enthusiasts.

Isn't the ability or lack of ability to maintain a motive for a duration the biggest hurdle with meditation? In meditation, who are you actually and is time even relative? Just throwing that out there for the conscious time traveler enthusiasts swimming alongside me! Care for a swim?

PS: Damn how long does it take for this sugar cube to wear off?
edit on 20-3-2015 by Atlantican because: Time burp!

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Time travel into the future is acknowledged as possible as a result of time dilation...

Velocities in ordinary life which to us might seem incredibly fast have only a miniscule relativistic effect. For example, orbital velocity (5 miles per second) produces a relativistic factor of change of only 1.000000000360219.

Traveling at 93,141.1985 miles per second (half the speed of light) produces a factor of 1.1547005383792517. Here the velocity is incredibly fast and yet the change is still quite small.

At .9 times the speed of light, the factor becomes 2.294157338705618. Finally, the effects of relativity become significant. What does this factor mean though? If you were in a spaceship traveling at .9 times the speed of light:

1) the ship's mass (and you) would increase by a factor of 2.294

2) the ship (and you) would contract in the direction of travel by 2.294, meaning a 300 foot ship would shrink to 130.77 feet.

3) Perhaps the most interesting change is that 1 year to you would seem to be 2.294 years for someone back on Earth.

Source

Travel back in time is quite another story.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blastoff
This is an interesting topic indeed.
I believe that right now there are more questions than answers, for instance:
Is time travel possible?
If you somehow manage to time travel, would your original memories remain intact?
Or, if you change history, would you "inherit" new memories/experiences that are conditioned to the new timeline?
OR, would your mind blank out and you would need to learn everything again?
Can time travel also happen by mere chance under certain conditions, or do you have to induce it?
How can you be sure you are always in "your" timeline?
Are there many versions of me out there?
How do you know if that person you said goodbye to this morning is EXACTLY the same person to come home at night?
Just too mind boggling...

Memories... I think they would unless you wipe out the event you had the memory of? And then maybe it would just fade, or you'd have some kind of that 'niggling' type thing going on in the back of your mind when something triggers a memory that used to be there, but you just can't get it....

I think I just had that with that post about seeing something that wasn't there before... :s

Just started watching Outlander, that was a time travel by accident, touching stones or something

What do you mean, how can you be sure you're in 'your' timeline?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
And what about The Philadelphia Experiment? Wasn't that time travel? Was Tesla really involved in that? I love seeing shows about that. Weren't there people that got fused with walls and stuff??

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atlantican
We are not in the 3rd dimension. Our linear experience is strictly 3d but governed by 4d. 4d is what our currency is based on. You are paid for your time and or energy. 4d is duration.

Physically, we are like fish in an aquarium. The walls are the 4th dimension, containing the "lower" 3 dimensional plain but the entire assembly is residing in a 5th dimensional space of some sort and serves a purpose similar to a playstation or maybe a nightclub. Who knows really?

I have to say this is the best description I've ever read regarding dimension, nice job!

Pretend you are in the 5th dimension and you are selecting an experience (which is probably what the currency is based on there) on a terminal of some sort. You enter a code and the experience is provided. This code is your DNA.
Right, with you

If I was a 5th dimensional time travel enthusiast with the ability to maintain a motive for durations of time,

maintain a motive for durations of time? you lost me on this. If you chose the life you wanted to experience, that of a time traveler, you're saying you have to what? Remember that you're able to time travel?

I would have the power to infiltrate anything inside that 4d container and would likely go for financial structures, education, entertainment, sciences and intellectual properties.

Why bother if you could time travel?? Really of all the times to visit it would be our current time? Sounds more like you want the ability to be invisible ; p

My kind, until I mastered the domain, would be without a country. One secured, I would have a safe haven to invite other 5th dimensional beings in that I like. Together, we would dominate this domain until we wanted to hand it over to time travel enthusiasts.
Where's my GD VIP pass?!

Isn't the ability or lack of ability to maintain a motive for a duration the biggest hurdle with meditation? In meditation, who are you actually and is time even relative? Just throwing that out there for the conscious time traveler enthusiasts swimming alongside me! Care for a swim?

PS: Damn how long does it take for this sugar cube to wear off?
I can't shut my mind off to meditate

Funny some of those dreams I have involve swimming, pretty awesome dreams those

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Android X

There was a series called lost in space so what your proposing is that needs to be updated to be Lost in time.

If the flow of time is a streams composed of a forward and backward current, then adjusting the forward current automatically causes adjustment to the reverse current downstream at some time in the past and conversely the adjusting the backwards current automatically causes adjustment to the forward current upstream at some time in the future. This system of forward and backwards adjustment means the paradox you described never happens.

edit on 20-3-2015 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
Time travel into the future is acknowledged as possible as a result of time dilation...

Velocities in ordinary life which to us might seem incredibly fast have only a miniscule relativistic effect. For example, orbital velocity (5 miles per second) produces a relativistic factor of change of only 1.000000000360219.

Traveling at 93,141.1985 miles per second (half the speed of light) produces a factor of 1.1547005383792517. Here the velocity is incredibly fast and yet the change is still quite small.

At .9 times the speed of light, the factor becomes 2.294157338705618. Finally, the effects of relativity become significant. What does this factor mean though? If you were in a spaceship traveling at .9 times the speed of light:

1) the ship's mass (and you) would increase by a factor of 2.294

2) the ship (and you) would contract in the direction of travel by 2.294, meaning a 300 foot ship would shrink to 130.77 feet.

3) Perhaps the most interesting change is that 1 year to you would seem to be 2.294 years for someone back on Earth.

Source

Travel back in time is quite another story.

We're not talking about an hour here or there, or me traveling a day in the future by flying to Oz to experience New Years first. Like traveling to the Garden of Eden to see if it was really a snake

Seeing the pyramids being built

Oh man the possibilities, where would you go?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The thing everyone tends to ignore is relative to the world the place you are in now does not correspond to the same place in the future or past. Unless you sync up your physical location to move with the actual changed position in the past or future any time travel leaves you floating in space. The longer the reach of the travel the more power would be needed to align with the planets position.
The earth and the sun are constantly moving through space so it adds another complexity to time travel.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Therefore, the reason we haven't seen a time traveler yet is because time travel hasn't been invented yet.

What if it was kept a secret? Maybe that's the big secret all the secret societies have been keeping all these years. That reality is constantly being shifted by time travelers making incursions into "past" and "future," but the secret must be kept in order for time travel to be independently invented and close all the loops.

Seriously!

What if we are all in a suspended state so to speak, and time travelers are causing the sensation that things have changed, but it's really just us living the same day but different results due to trying to fix timelines
o_0

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: datasdream
The thing everyone tends to ignore is relative to the world the place you are in now does not correspond to the same place in the future or past. Unless you sync up your physical location to move with the actual changed position in the past or future any time travel leaves you floating in space. The longer the reach of the travel the more power would be needed to align with the planets position.
The earth and the sun are constantly moving through space so it adds another complexity to time travel.

You sure seem to know a lot about something that supposedly doesn't exist yet... what aren't you telling us?! heh jk

Yeah, I kind've wondered about the accidental landing in the middle of a wall i.e. Philadelphia experiment, so it would seem traveling into the past would be much safer because you would at least have a reference.

Okay here's one, what if you travel TOO far into the future, like no Earth future eeeeek

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
all I can say is that I hope missing planes arnt getting caught in time tunnels to the days of dinousaurs, be kind terrifying crash landing into that era

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

a reply to: Rhiannon

Wormhole Is Best Bet for Time Machine, Astrophysicist Says

The Physics of Time Travel

Basically it has to do with using a wormhole. You take one end of the wormhole as your initial anchor then pull the other end through time to some future destination. This would allow two way travel back and forth in time, but you would never be able to travel past the one anchor point because that is as far as the wormhole goes.

Oh yea, you would also need an insane amount of energy, so you'd probably have to harness the power of a star.
it is even simpler than that. you do not to pull it trough time. any two way trip through a wormhole is a trip through time.

if you set up one end of the wormhole in your living room and send the other end towards a star 1200 light years away at near light speed time dilation effects mean that the wormhole becomes traversible about 50 weeks after the wormhole starts it's journey. but the wormhole arrives at the destination 1200 years in the future. but at the home end you can step through and instantly be transported 1200 years into the future because that is when the wormhole is supposed to arrive. and you can look around decide the destination is not for you and go back 1200 years in the past minus the 50 something weeks. now GR allows this but disallows wormhole trips that would allow travel to a time before the wormhole went live. however it does not disallow travel into the past of a nearly identical alternate time line if these actually exist. you could go into the past of a world where the only difference is a dandylion in someone yard here is dead in their yard there. you could still see a past virtually identical to your own past. be the ultimate detective, ultimate botanist, paleontologist, zoologist, historian, cosmologist and so on.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Android X
Time Tavel has been an on-and-off topic in the scientific community due to the various outcomes that can come from meddling in time and space. In my personal opinion, I believe it is possible, if not already happened. What science would bring up as a counter argument would be that we need proof that Subject A was in the past or interacted with history. The problem that comes up with this is that you are left with the notion of the butterfly effect. Change one thing in the past and you drastically change the future.We already know that with every decision that we make on this planet, there are a multitude of choices and outcomes that can occur. Even as you're reading this post, there are millions and millions of events playing out around you and throughout time, but what you experience could be different from the many outcomes that are possible. Same can be said for historic events; always on an infinite loop with something different occurring. I will merely state that Time Travel is possible, but that once you initiate it, you will never be able to jump back to your original time line where everything will not be how you left it.

What is your opinion on this subject/idea?

Time travel into the future is easily achieved.

Time travel into the past creates infinities of causality.

But from some perspectives, all time, past and present, are now existent. Time is static and unchangeable so there is no way to travel in that sense.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join