It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel and Line Jumping

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Time Tavel has been an on-and-off topic in the scientific community due to the various outcomes that can come from meddling in time and space. In my personal opinion, I believe it is possible, if not already happened. What science would bring up as a counter argument would be that we need proof that Subject A was in the past or interacted with history. The problem that comes up with this is that you are left with the notion of the butterfly effect. Change one thing in the past and you drastically change the future.We already know that with every decision that we make on this planet, there are a multitude of choices and outcomes that can occur. Even as you're reading this post, there are millions and millions of events playing out around you and throughout time, but what you experience could be different from the many outcomes that are possible. Same can be said for historic events; always on an infinite loop with something different occurring. I will merely state that Time Travel is possible, but that once you initiate it, you will never be able to jump back to your original time line where everything will not be how you left it.

What is your opinion on this subject/idea?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Android X

Your argument against the counter argument has made your initial proposition unfalsifiable. Time travel s an interesting idea but probably will be the sole domain of SciFi.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
From what I understand about current time travel ideas is that you would never be able to travel in time past the point that time travel was invented because you need an anchor on both sides of the time warp to stabilize the tunnel. Therefore, the reason we haven't seen a time traveler yet is because time travel hasn't been invented yet.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Android X
I will merely state that Time Travel is possible, but that once you initiate it, you will never be able to jump back to your original time line where everything will not be how you left it.

Time is personal. It is inextricably linked to your personal consciousness. There is only one timeline,which is the one you're experiencing now. All the rest are speculative.

When you die, your personal experience in time dies with you, that entire chunk of the universe you helped make real by being in it. And because the universe is holographic, when you lose that chunk, the entire universe ceases to exist, or to ever have existed. From your perspective. And in the end, isn't that the only one that matters?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Therefore, the reason we haven't seen a time traveler yet is because time travel hasn't been invented yet.

What if it was kept a secret? Maybe that's the big secret all the secret societies have been keeping all these years. That reality is constantly being shifted by time travelers making incursions into "past" and "future," but the secret must be kept in order for time travel to be independently invented and close all the loops.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

you will never be able to jump back to your original time line

Great subject, thanks. Unfortunately, I think you're leaving out something important, our dreams. Most people believe that they live in one dimension, one time line. I don't think that's true. We are multidimensional beings who live on any number of additional time lines and dimensions (while dreaming,) who return to a stable, linear dimension when we wake, even if we don't remember or believe. I think we "time travel" all the time. JMO

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is an interesting topic indeed.
I believe that right now there are more questions than answers, for instance:
Is time travel possible?
If you somehow manage to time travel, would your original memories remain intact?
Or, if you change history, would you "inherit" new memories/experiences that are conditioned to the new timeline?
OR, would your mind blank out and you would need to learn everything again?
Can time travel also happen by mere chance under certain conditions, or do you have to induce it?
How can you be sure you are always in "your" timeline?
Are there many versions of me out there?
How do you know if that person you said goodbye to this morning is EXACTLY the same person to come home at night?
Just too mind boggling...

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Android X I will merely state that Time Travel is possible, but that once you initiate it, you will never be able to jump back to your original time line where everything will not be how you left it.

Yes time travel is possible but highly dangerous.
Heck, you play with time in a lab and you are already altering timelines, imo.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blastoff
This is an interesting topic indeed.
I believe that right now there are more questions than answers, for instance:
Is time travel possible?
If you somehow manage to time travel, would your original memories remain intact?
Or, if you change history, would you "inherit" new memories/experiences that are conditioned to the new timeline?
OR, would your mind blank out and you would need to learn everything again?
Can time travel also happen by mere chance under certain conditions, or do you have to induce it?
How can you be sure you are always in "your" timeline?
Are there many versions of me out there?
How do you know if that person you said goodbye to this morning is EXACTLY the same person to come home at night?
Just too mind boggling...
You are onto something there mate. Very few people have this insight. Indeed mind boggling and we may never understand the complexities of time, timelines and IIell universes.
Just wondering if you are a Christian.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Also, keep in mind that time travel has to be performed in the middle of space. We wouldn't be able to do it on our planet. So you'd need a spaceship as well.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
OMG My favorite topic of all time!!

I love time travel, everything about it. I think it's going on right now! I refuse to believe that it is not going on right now, and I realize I sound like a 7 year old right now and I don't care how unscientific and biased I'm being hahahaha time travel is AWESOME and I will not allow anyone to burst my time travel happy bubble.

Just had to get that out, now for reading what you all wrote before me : D
edit on 20-3-2015 by Rhiannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Android X
I will merely state that Time Travel is possible, but that once you initiate it, you will never be able to jump back to your original time line where everything will not be how you left it.

That's traveling from the present to the past because if you traveled to the future, you could jump back to the time before future events were changed.

How do you know everything will not be as you left it? Maybe it was necessary for you to travel to the past, to be at the point you were before you jumped back?

o_0
hah

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

From what I understand about current time travel ideas is that you would never be able to travel in time past the point that time travel was invented because you need an anchor on both sides of the time warp to stabilize the tunnel. Therefore, the reason we haven't seen a time traveler yet is because time travel hasn't been invented yet.

Well that's just one idea. They are just guessing. I mean what's the point of time travel if you can't travel in time?

Also I think the problem with that line of thinking is that we all perceive time as that graphic we were taught in elementary school as time being a line from point a to point b

Why do you need anchors?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
My favourite subject of all..above all conspiracies and ET..

To our current understanding based on Einstein theories, simply by travelling faster than the speed of light you are time travelling (which I personally don't believe) as it doesn't consider the folding of time and space or instantaneous travel. My favourite movie examples of time paradoxes are the terminator and deja vu, where time travelling results in them being affected by there decisions in the beginning which asks more questions. How can you live the prilimanary life without being affected by the consequences of the time travel. Using the terminator as an example, there must have been an occasion, the first time, where a machine was not sent back and did not affect his life. Or had he always been affected by the consequences of time travel even before the he lived the first time to come to the decision to send people back. Which asks more questions. Had he time travelled before he lived his life? Is their an element of destiny with a predetermined ending now matter what the changes maybe (dejavu). It becomes a theological debate rather than scientific the more questions you answer the more questions needed

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Rhiannon

Wormhole Is Best Bet for Time Machine, Astrophysicist Says

The Physics of Time Travel

Basically it has to do with using a wormhole. You take one end of the wormhole as your initial anchor then pull the other end through time to some future destination. This would allow two way travel back and forth in time, but you would never be able to travel past the one anchor point because that is as far as the wormhole goes.

Oh yea, you would also need an insane amount of energy, so you'd probably have to harness the power of a star.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Also, keep in mind that time travel has to be performed in the middle of space. We wouldn't be able to do it on our planet. So you'd need a spaceship as well.

I'm looking at a time travel technique that would utilize amplified consciousness, rather than bending spacetime. If you bend spacetime, you don't know what you're going to get when you unbend it. If that's even possible.

Supposedly (according to Philip Corso's son), that was the whole deal behind the Roswell spaceship. It was actually a time machine that incorporated and amplified the consciousness of the little people inside, allowing them to shift themselves to a new spacetime context without having to harness the power of two black holes. They just needed a little fusion generator, and that was mostly for flying around, not the time travel.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

What if:

we are beings that exist in a timeless dimension but are just trapped in this reality of time , so we get bodies that age and decompose when we die, and this all seems unnatural to us and we dont know why!
When we die, maybe we go back to our natural state of being back to timeless dimensions... technically that would be defined as time travel, no?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I am just giving you the currently accepted ways that scientists believe time travel can occur according to the known laws of physics. You can substitute your own theory, but know this, you aren't talking science anymore and are in the realm of complete guesswork and assumptions.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

You can substitute your own theory, but know this, you aren't talking science anymore and are in the realm of complete guesswork and assumptions.

Of course. But that's only because science has never been able to integrate the concept of consciousness and point of view into their equations. That's the paradigm shift that will likely happen long after I'm dead (although the universe will be gone, so it's all moot).

Either way, even though the mathematics that delineate the possibility of travel through wormholes or by skirting the event horizon of a black hole might be technically accurate and internally consistent, they don't necessarily represent the way reality works. Mathematics is a very sketchy representation of reality.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I agree. I'm not entirely convinced that time travel is possible just because the equations work out right. I want to first see evidence that wormholes actually EXIST let alone are able to be manipulated to achieve vast distance travel or time travel.
edit on 20-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join