It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon a step closer to using drone deliveries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Amazon head Jeff Bezos said a couple years ago that he envisioned people ordering online and getting their item within an hour.

Drone delivery story.

The FAA looks to be clearing the way for them.

Under the provisions of the certificate, all flight operations must be conducted at 400 feet or below during daylight hours in visual meteorological conditions. The UAS must always remain within visual line-of-sight of the pilot and observer. The pilot actually flying the aircraft must have at least a private pilot’s certificate and current medical certification.
The article can be read Here on the FAA site.

Whether or not one agrees with the plan, one must admit Amazon is a visionary company. They took this plan from an idea to nearly
implementable in a very short time.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

So what happens when people start trying to shoot them down to steal whatever they are delivering? It's a cool idea in theory, but I think it will have a lot of problems in practice.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I have no prob with drone deliveries, just curious, how do you sign for the package? will the drone release the package once it's signed for or something?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

There are some very serious federal laws in place when it comes to aircraft. I think it will be made clear to the crazy yayhoos out there that you'll go to prison if you start taking pot shots at these drones.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
What about phantom drones pretending to be Amazon's?

What evil purposes would be served?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

MY evil purposes will be served! muahahaha!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
sounds like a good way for terrorists to cloke destructive devices.

theres going to be a lot of drone theft going on. A large sheet or net and they are toast. Do these drones have defense mechanisms? Self destruct LOL.

This is one of the most dumb things I have ever heard BTW.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Looking forward to ordering my 5 pack of pencils and getting a $10,000 drone with it.

Simply just isn't feasible.

The amount of money wasted on drones MIA, vandalized & stolen just isn't a great business plan. Nice idea in theory, but until the general population have integrity and honesty - this will not work - EVER.

Not to mention lawsuits -- I can see the story in the Dailymail now: que photo of unhappy parent and unhappy child staring into camera holding a broken amazon drone, headline: "My son nearly killed by fallen amazon drone".

"Little Jonny was playing in his garden when he was knocked out by a drone carrying a lead Christmas themed paper-weight.."
edit on 19-3-2015 by JustTheMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
The UAS must always remain within visual line-of-sight of the pilot and observer.

I'm wondering how can they get around this provision.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Cmon guys. Your overthinking all this. google home made EMP gun. There is no need to shoot at these with bullets. One shot with an EMP and its over. you now have your black market drone. Combine that with trade school experience drone repair and you have a nice little business opportunity.

maybe there will be fleets of drones to offer security shuttles for the delivery drones.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I love amazon!!!!

I could care less about the drones...I have no problem waiting two days for my packages to be delivered. Now to have my Chinese food or subs be delivered by drones is more appealing.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco
I love amazon!!!!

I could care less about the drones...I have no problem waiting two days for my packages to be delivered. Now to have my Chinese food or subs be delivered by drones is more appealing.

The only thing I might support would be support for emergency medical personnel like EMTs or something. Say a kid gets bit by a rattlesnake and the could drone the anti-venom to the sight for the EMTs or trained citizens to administer ASAP. something like that anyways. No traffic delays. safer for the public etc. etc.

Drones for the latest season of ....game of thrones.....thats just stupid.

top topics

join