It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism ... an introduction to China?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I just saw a TV show with a Chinese guy who was married to a foreign woman. This guy is Li Yang, the "Crazy" english teacher ... and he goes on TV and shows everybody how he beats his wife, with pride may I add.

Famous wife beater

While domestic violence is normal in China, that this guy is beating up his foreign wife is making him a celebrity in China. His famous, not because he's teaching english, but because he beat up his foreign wife, and her bruises and blood were shown on Chinese national TV.

This is China ... hating foreigners is normal ... he called his wife for "mo gui" on TV ... or "monster". Which is a new chinese advancement of the word "gui" which is what they call foreigners for, which generally means "evil".

edit on 19/3/2015 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

There is nothing "normal" about domestic violence.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

What are you talking about? This is from the article you posted.

However, the fad for Crazy English has waned in recent years and the latest controversy is likely to have a damaging effect on his business. "Who would go to one of his schools or buy one of his books again?" asked one commentator on his blog. Others called for a boycott. "How could you do such a thing. I was inspired to learn English when you came to our school and I have been following you for years. Is this a case of saying one thing and doing another?" said another comment.

In the wake of the scandal, the Chinese government issued a short notice in the state media saying that it would create an anti-domestic violence law, a piece of legislation that many women's rights groups have spent years campaigning for.

Looks like China doesn't condone this behavior either.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
You can't evolve without bringing the issue into the open. Despite the abhorrent behavior depicted in the show; the opportunity is now there to discuss the problem.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
WTF does this have to do with racism???? Or is that just a sensational title to get people to read your thread?

originally posted by: bjarneorn
... and he goes on TV and shows everybody how he beats his wife, with pride may I add.

Your link is about his apology... What TV show was he on? Because there is not pride in your link.

he "wholeheartedly" apologised to his US wife and three daughters for "committing domestic violence". He added: "This has caused them serious physical and mental damage".

While domestic violence is normal in China, that this guy is beating up his foreign wife is making him a celebrity in China.

Again, that's not what your link says. He is not famous for beating his wife. He's famous for his teaching English...

Mr Li, 42, who has helped more than 20 million Chinese learn English with his books, tapes and stadium tours,

This is China ... hating foreigners is normal ...

This is the US. It's "normal" here, too.

I'm not USA hater, but your link says 1 in 3 households experience domestic abuse. In the US, it's 1 in 4 women.

Domestic Violence facts

Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women between the ages of 15 and 44 in the United States, more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.

Three to four million women in the United States are beaten in their homes each year by their husbands, ex-husbands, or male lovers.

One in every four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.

I'm just saying... China is about the same as the US.
edit on 3/19/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Your statements and the actual article are at odds with each other. Almost as if we are seeing 2 different sources.

Having lived there I can also state that you are wrong. No need to go further IMO.

Jude11

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Wow. I was going to jump in but you all made the point far better than I could. Domestic violence is a global atrocity not limited to any specific group. But thankfully, most people & most governments are definitely against it. Hopefully we'll get to the point where it's simply non-existent.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Looks like China doesn't condone this behavior either.

Well, she got 1.2 million RMB, but this guy's business grew from "ok" to "fantastic" because of this. So, while this woman can get some millions out of it ... majority of chinese women who have to live this thing can't.

But, the worst part is ... his "fame" grew from it ... and the guy is even going to write a book about it.

Seriously.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

So he's an asshole and has many asshole followers. There are plenty of those people in the states too. Look at Pat Robertson. These people aren't indicative of the opinions of the entire country though. Clearly the government disagrees with this guy since they are making domestic abuse laws in response to his actions.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
CLEARLY, China's legal system has a long way to go in order to protect victims of domestic abuse. They don't even have a law against it. BUT...

originally posted by: bjarneorn
... this guy's business grew from "ok" to "fantastic" because of this. ... his "fame" grew from it

I cannot find any indication that this is true. From everything I read, his business was well-established (he was China's most famous English teacher) before his wife brought the beating to the attention of the public.

So, PLEASE source your claims... I think maybe you misunderstood the sequence of events.

NPR

He was China's most famous English teacher, the "Crazy English" guru of China, who pioneered his own style of English teaching: pedagogy through shouted language, yelling to halls of thousands of students.
"Her admission she'd been abused allowed it to become a topic of public discussion because of media concern.

new topics

top topics

join