It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Human Skeleton Found Buried Under Odessos Fortress Wall

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Bulgarian archaeologists have made an interesting find while performing rescue excavations of the ancient Greek city of Odessos under what is now the modern city of Varna, Bulgaria, on the shores of the Black Sea.

While digging out the base of a recently discovered section of the ancient Ossesos fortress wall, archaeologists uncovered the skeleton of a man who has been described by the head of the project, Dr. Valeri Yotov, as "a very tall man" with "impressive" bones though no estimation of the man's height in life has been released.

The skeleton was found to be buried partially beneath the wall at a depth indicating a pit that was some 3 meters deep at the time of his burial, which researchers believe to have occurred in the 4th or 5th centuries AD. The position of the hands at the waist and the alignment of the body — head to the east, feet to the west — suggests that the burial was not accidental and likely not a case of a man unceremoniously tossed into an open construction pit.

Image of the skeleton from Archaeology in Bulgaria

To give you some idea where these excavations are taking place, here is a picture of an earthenware jar found 20 meters away, by a construction crew working on sewer lines on Knyaz Boris I Boulevard, directly in front of St. Nikolay Church. The crew's find in January led archaeologists to the previously undiscovered section of fortress wall under which the skeleton was found.

Image of jar from dariknews.bg

I'll be interested to find out exactly how tall this person was in life and how they've determined when he was buried. Odessos was founded by the Greeks in the 6th or 7th century BC and 3 meters is extremely deep as burials go.

There are currently three additional sources on my news feed.

EDIT:

Googling with the Bulgarian for "Odessos Skeleton" turns up some additional pictures and sources. Here's one that appears to be the pit with the skeleton. Notice that people are just walking up to it.

source

Wow. Archaeology right in the street.

EDIT2:

Found a site with some interesting pictures with the photographer in frame, directly over skeleton. Images are here.
edit on 2015-3-18 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I thought main stream archaeology has been hiding the giants and all that for a long long time and covering it all up? lol

This is an excellent find, I wonder what its grave in relationship to the fortress wall was and if it is significant. Also goes to show that sometimes its insane to not know the things right below your feet, I mean I am surprised no one knew there was not anything there when they started putting pipes and all that in the ground.
edit on 18-3-2015 by Brotherman because: HAD TO BOLD SOME STUFF FOR PPL

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
I thought main stream archaeology has been hiding the giants and all that for a long long time and covering it all up? lol

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with the 'giant ancient humans' hypothesis. Any appearance of such is merely sensationalism/clickbaiting in the title. They discovered a "tall man."
edit on 18/3/15 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I hope you can keep track of what further develops with this
story. As that would allow you to keep us updated. If the river makes noise,
there must be something in it.

SnF

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

In her article about this discovery, April Holloway @ Ancient Origins mentions another find of a giant skeleton in 2013 in Romania:

It is not the first time that an over-sized skeleton has been found in Eastern Europe. In 2013, the skeleton of a giant warrior dating back to 1600 BC was found in Santa Mare, Romania. Nicknamed ‘Goliath’, the warrior measured more than 2 meters in height, highly unusually for the time and place, when people were of small stature (approximately 1.5 meters on average). The warrior was buried with an impressive dagger that indicated his high stature.

I don't remember reading about it in 2013, Ms. Holloway cited a Romanian news site and I can't find any mainstream English sources to corroborate but here's an interesting picture from her article:

More recently, there was the "giant" (7' tall IIRC) that was uncovered by the team from BYU at Fag el-Gamous among the purported "1 Million Mummies."

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SpongeBeard

If it turns out that this individual was really tall, say 7' or taller, that would be quite impressive. There are over 300 million people in the US today and people that tall are so rare that there are estimated to be less than 70 men between the ages of 20 and 40 in the US who are 7' and taller, meaning about 17% of them are in the NBA according to Forbes.

While I understand that people attach themselves to very specific hypotheses of giants in the ancient world, be it giant mound builders in North and South America, Nephilim, giants of the Georgian Caucuses — whatever — I don't see how a failure to connect this to one of them makes it any less interesting?

What about the Kiffian culture? The graves of these people who lived 8,000-10,000 years ago in what is now the Sahara Desert (then green and fertile) reveal numerous individuals over six feet tall, some as tall as 6'8", and this is among a couple hundred graves. That's not impressive enough? Double rows of teeth or to hell with it?
edit on 2015-3-18 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Fantastic! S&F..I completely believe in the legends of "Giants" . I really believe this part of our human history has been diluted and intentionally erased. I think this race of "Nephilim" were much less monster and way more human. I loved the "search for the lost Giants" show that aired last fall..Good stuff

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I can see it now, "It's proof of the Nephilim!"

I wonder what people will think a thousand years from now when Sultan Kösen is found buried somewhere after all records of him have been lost? Probably along the lines of believing an entire race of 8 foot tall giants roamed around Earth.

Interesting story though. It'll be interesting to see how tall he was. S&F

ETA: I see it has already been suggested. Lol.
edit on 3/18/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I think there were plenty of giants in ancient times, its just our modern civilization tries to cover it all up.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

There are plenty of giants today, there always have been. People come in all shapes and sizes, some really tall and some really short, we're bound to find a tall skeleton every now and then. That's no reason to believe there was a race of giants though, IMO.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard

originally posted by: Brotherman

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with the 'giant ancient humans' hypothesis. Any appearance of such is merely sensationalism/clickbaiting in the title. They discovered a "tall man."

I guess you missed the LOL at the end of that I was kidding, I guess some people are also not cut out for humor SMH

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
"Cute."

(Yao Ming 7ft 6in) Source

Tall people do happen, 'giant' maybe a stretch, but I'm not going to argue with Andre.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I was friends with a guy that was nicknamed "Giant."
He was well over 7 foot and I would guess near 400 lbs.
He had a pituitary disorder and died of a heart attack in his mid 30's.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
So none of you find it suspicious that within that disorganized mess there's a perfectly carved 3 meter deep rectangle that just happens to lead to a giant skeleton?
edit on 18-3-2015 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Strange, in the old days giants were used as warriors and were feared by most. Now they make good money playing basketball and people are trying to get their autograph and a picture by them. Boy, the world has changed.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

How nice, only think they should present the numbers with this historical find.

I mean... how giant is it?

S&F.
edit on 18-3-2015 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

So what are you saying?

Satan put the bones there to trick us?

The archeologists have some advanced ground scanners that they are keeping secret?

Hoax?

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: SpongeBeard

If it turns out that this individual was really tall, say 7' or taller, that would be quite impressive. There are over 300 million people in the US today and people that tall are so rare that there are estimated to be less than 70 men between the ages of 20 and 40 in the US who are 7' and taller, meaning about 17% of them are in the NBA according to Forbes.

While I understand that people attach themselves to very specific hypotheses of giants in the ancient world, be it giant mound builders in North and South America, Nephilim, giants of the Georgian Caucuses — whatever — I don't see how a failure to connect this to one of them makes it any less interesting?

What about the Kiffian culture? The graves of these people who lived 8,000-10,000 years ago in what is now the Sahara Desert (then green and fertile) reveal numerous individuals over six feet tall, some as tall as 6'8", and this is among a couple hundred graves. That's not impressive enough? Double rows of teeth or to hell with it?

Indeed, good points. It is very interesting, however I felt that the title was a clear clickbait attempt. Cool thread, nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

It's not exactly centered on the hole though, could have been a coincidence. Lots of great finds were made by accident or coincidence.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

So what are you saying?

Satan put the bones there to trick us?

Is that really necessary?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join