It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patrolling cops jump out and join football game

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

You make a very valid point.

It is something I am experiencing myself.

I feel that my efforts to bridge the gap between the citizens and the police in my community has been in vein.

That, coupled with other things, have made me decide to leave the career.

There is nothing more that I want to do is not be a police officer anymore.

The last few years have been really tough for many in law enforcement. I am afraid many more "good officers" will give up as well.

What we will be left with will not be good.
edit on 21-3-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

The last few years have been really tough for many in law enforcement. I am afraid many more "good officers" will give up as well.

I'll be damned if hearing what I already surmized isn't like
blunt force trauma anyway. Unless you have something lined up
or that you're going to fall back on, I would beg you to consider
what that leaves us all to deal with for police officers.

I'm not one to tell another man what to do by any means and
I don't know you from Adam. But I can see how your decision,
whatever it will be? Could be a lot bigger than you might actually
realize. Because things aren't going to get better, they're going
to get worse, much worse IMO. The thing I'm look'n at is this.
You are likely going to have to deal with the bad officers one
way or another. I would think dealing with them from the inside
would be far better. But what lies ahead, aside from just that,
is something I know I couldn't face as a cop. I just wouldn't be
capable of the # they are obviously gearing up for. And against
a population that has firearms and that's about it. No body armor,
no steel plating, or the level of training for the most part.
Let's see, have I digressed far enough? Prolly!

It sucks, but I just look at the signs for what they are. And what we've
just talked about is another one. They are all telling us how to go to
hell. But man, you said a mouthful with just those ten words.

edit on Ram32215v07201500000010 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

I am not leaving because of bad officers.

I have worked for a decade and never have encountered any.

We did have one officer that was sleeping with prostitutes on duty. Once the information was discovered, a tail was put on him and he was caught in the act. He was subsequently arrested and fired.

I am leaving because of the way I am blanketly hated by many of the citizens (it breaks my heart that people think I am some kind of corrupt monster), also because I know I am worth more than $40k a year (I do have a degree and other skills), and also just becuase of the normal stress that comes along with the job.

There is absolutely nothing that would make me stay in the career. I actually made the first step to get out it in December 2014.

It shouldn't be long now!

Many other "good officers" share my feelings.
edit on 22-3-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   

I am leaving because of the way I am blanketly hated by many of the citizens (it breaks my heart that people think I am some kind of corrupt monster), also because I know I am worth more than $40k a year (I do have a degree and other skills), and also just becuase of the normal stress that comes along with the job.

Aside from pay, it's a shame anyone leaves the police for being hated. The hate is out there and it's definitely here on ATS so I can sympathise with you. Then again, I sometimes point out that there's some ~750000 LEOs in the US and they aren't all accountable for the nasty misdeeds of bad cops on YT vids. If we reverse that, we could say that the people who hate you and the uniform aren't a reflection of the majority either.

I remember you writing about some asshole spitting in your food in a restaurant. Situations like that and daily animosity aren't what most people are used to. No surprises that people don't want to stay on the job.

It's ironic that haters condemn all cops and, by driving good ones away, will help to create the very thing they fear and hate.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I do aplogize for my confusion and have no need to test you on this.
But if I may be so bold, could you describe briefly, the difference in
yourself now leaving the force, from the younger man entering the force.
The hopes and dreams you had and the disillusion you have now?
And do you agree that it will only get worse for the better officers?

Apex of my confusion.

I am afraid many more "good officers" will give up as well.

My bad, I often assume to much.

For the record about 15 years ago, I was in and out of jail all the time.
Racked up 33 arrests and I have zero hate for any deputy or police officer.
It got so bad the deputies would look for ways not to take me in.

edit on Ram32215v052015u28 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

It's ironic that haters condemn all cops and, by driving good ones away, will help to create the very thing they fear and hate.

That's what I was pointing to only you said it better.

And the haters aren't stupid. They know that if they drive away all
the " good officers " there will only be those we will all learn to hate.
It's tragic what's going on in this country but how do you for see
something like this? Creeping up out of no where and biting us
in the ass like this Kandy?
edit on Ram32215v542015u22 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   

You make a great point.

That said, at times I do feel like a majority hate me.

It sucks.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   

The young man (20) that began his career had visions of helping his community and making a difference. He was single, didn't need a lot of money, and wasn't really worried if he had to sacrifice his mental sanity and/or life because nobody really depended on him.

Fast forward ten years. I am now 30 and have a family that depends on me. I want and need more money to give them the lifestyle they deserve. I need to keep my mental and physical self in "good standing" for them.

I know it sounds selfish. That said, it is even easier for me to walk away when I feel that I am not wanted by the community.

I think more good officers will leave the career for the same reasons as I am. I also feel a lot of quality candidates will shun the career for the same reasons.

Subsequently, the hiring standards will be lowered. The positions have to be filled. A lesser qualified candidate will make things worse.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

You make a great point.

It sucks.

Sorry i almost missed your pity party. You should realize doing the monkey bars and going to community college then working a position much less dangerous than the common roofer or iron worker and handing out $300 speeding tickets does not command respect.
edit on 23-3-2015 by msallo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: msallo

It's okay you weren't invited to the party.

By the way, even though you showed up uninvited, I will state the fact that you are correct. I did go to community college to attend the police academy, and to complete my AA degree. I also went on to complete my Bachelor's, and I am less than a year out from finishing my MBA.

Have a nice day!

edit on 23-3-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2015 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I am not leaving because of bad officers.

We did have one officer that was sleeping with prostitutes on duty. Once the information was discovered, a tail was put on him and he was caught in the act. He was subsequently arrested and fired.

There is absolutely nothing that would make me stay in the career. I actually made the first step to get out it in December 2014.

It shouldn't be long now!

Many other "good officers" share my feelings.

But don't you think those are all reasons for you to stay in a related field, at least? Have you thought about maybe working in the private sector doing something non-profit to improve police/civilian relations?

If you're sick of the whole scene, I get it. But it's interesting to think what you could do if you got creative. It's not like you won't have some good community connections after you leave.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: msallo

You make a great point.

It sucks.

Sorry i almost missed your pity party. You should realize doing the monkey bars and going to community college then working a position much less dangerous than the common roofer or iron worker and handing out $300 speeding tickets does not command respect.

Everybody commands respect. Lack of it is why we have the issues we have.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

That has definitely crossed my mind.

Who knows what the future holds.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Cops playing football on the clock what a waste of taxpayers time, like they get paid to play football. . . . .

They should be fired, just imagine if you work at any job then just decide to start playing football, you would be fired on the spot.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Cops playing football on the clock what a waste of taxpayers time, like they get paid to play football. . . . .

They should be fired, just imagine if you work at any job then just decide to start playing football, you would be fired on the spot.

That's your complaint? You don't get lunch breaks where you work? It's not like they were in hot pursuit of a suspect and decided the game looked like more fun than law enforcement.

I'm generally critical of police but damn... seriously?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

That's your complaint? You don't get lunch breaks where you work? It's not like they were in hot pursuit of a suspect and decided the game looked like more fun than law enforcement.

I'm generally critical of police but damn... seriously?

They were on patroll then were like uh dude lets play football. They dont deserve to have real jobs period.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

They were on the clock and the radio was quiet so they decided to bond with some children in the community. Interacting with the public is part of their job, why must those interactions always be for negative reasons?

I'm starting to wonder if some people would rather relations between law enforcement and civilians not get better.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

There is truth to your last statement.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

That sucks Torquey, that you feel so hated. I think the OP is great, and as the post by "Rocker" illustrated, people no longer expect good deeds, or even normal, "playful" actions from average cops anymore, rather they fear them. This is why stories like the OP make news these days. Rocker is right, the sad truth is, the story in the OP shouldn't be NEWS.

This is the reality now everywhere in the U.S. and it's unfortunate. Even I do everything I can do to avoid cops, not because I fear I've done something wrong, but quotas etc do not help. People really believe that cops look for every little thing to pull people over, and disrupt normal, innocent hard working people's lives.

I've lived in small towns with bored cops and in the bigger cities where cops still have quotas, who will pull you over for just about anything, or even nothing at all. Something like a cracked windshield or mud on the license plate etc, you name it, can be used as a "reason". Then it just escalates from there. Then we see the youtube vids, which would scare the crap out of anyone. Most cops are probably good people, (such as yourself) forced to make quotas, so it makes all cops look bad..People get scared, that's just how it is. The general consensus has become, "keep the cops away, unless there is NO other choice" and even then, people are weary, even in my relatively peaceful city.

Anyway, you, and countless other cops have probably not contributed to this corruption at all during their entire careers, and it's not your cross to bear.

Without those like you though, we will see an increased police state. If all the good cops bail out, then where does that leave us? That sucks. Best wishes to you, whatever you do. I don't blame you for bailing out, but it's only going to make things worse, unfortunately.

edit on 24-3-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join