It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Biden the bigot

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
When welcoming theTaoiseach at his home he said 'If your wearing orange then your not welcome here' and then seems to think it justifiable by saying it was a joke! No apologies or offers of resignation? If he said that about another group, let's say black people, he would be lynched!
Someone needs to point out to him how many 'orange' people have fought Americas wars for them.
And this knob is the Vice President of America?? Really??? Is he even educated?
It is knobs like this Biden character that makes people overseas turn against your country.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: biggilo
When welcoming theTaoiseach at his home he said 'If your wearing orange then your not welcome here' and then seems to think it justifiable by saying it was a joke! No apologies or offers of resignation? If he said that about another group, let's say black people, he would be lynched!
Someone needs to point out to him how many 'orange' people have fought Americas wars for them.
And this knob is the Vice President of America?? Really??? Is he even educated?
It is knobs like this Biden character that makes people overseas turn against your country.

huh? it seems like your overacting to me . He is human after all right ?
edit on 17-3-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
sorry..i dont get it.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

BBC article link so people know what your are talking about.

I would not have a clue what "wearing orange" is about and I doubt most American's know? It means nothing to me?

It might help if you explain why his joke was wrong to begin with and what it means?

If it was a joke, it was a joke and any emotionally mature adult would just forgive and forget. Seems a non-story to me?

That Biden is prone to making harmless gaffs is well known here.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Irish Protestants aren't welcome
And over reacting? I am not so sure, if the VP of America said black people aren't allowed in his house would you be OK with that? Any difference?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

From Wikipedia:

The Taoiseach Listeni/ˈtiːʃəx/[2] is the head of government or prime minister of Ireland. The Taoiseach is appointed by the President upon the nomination of Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Oireachtas (parliament), and must, in order to remain in office, retain the support of a majority in the Dáil.[nb 2] The current Taoiseach is Enda Kenny, TD, who was appointed on 9 March 2011.

The word means "chief" in the Irish language. The earliest known use of the term is from a 5th- or 6th-century ogham inscription in both the Gaelic and Brittonic languages.[3]

From the Irish Times:

A DUP MP on Tuesday called on US vice president Joe Biden to apologise for casting a “slur” on Protestants by joking to an Irish delegation that no-one wearing orange was welcome in his house on St Patrick’s Day.

Northern Irish Protestants traditionally wear orange during their annual summer parades, while green is used as a symbol by mostly Catholic Irish nationalists and is a theme of St Patrick’s Day celebrations around the world.

A smiling Mr Biden, speaking at the front door of his residence to a delegation led by Taoiseach Enda Kenny, quipped that “if you’re wearing orange, you’re not welcome in here” before adding he was only joking.

Well nobody could ever accuse Joe Biden of being too PC.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

See, that's why I asked you to explain. I have no idea what the "orange" reference is about. Many people reading this will not know either. Please explain and you may have good reason to be angry?

You are aware you are on a board with mostly people from the US, not the UK?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Are we stepping away from the " it is only a joke, toughen up" stance?

I'll agree the joke was in poor taste no doubt.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Thanks OP. It has been a very long time since I had to do that much research on a post here just to get the meaning. Star , Flag and congratulations to you .

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
ALL bigots are ignorant.
Some are ignorant bigots; some are bigoted ignoramuses.
Biden is the latter.

But, ha ha, it's just good old Joe...He's a liberal, so we'll just give him a pass.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
To be clear I am not an 'Orangeman' but the term orange is used as a general term for Northern Irish protestants. (The actual orangemen are as big of twats as sinn fein/ira). And yeah, I had to Google who Biden was myself lol
If our deputy pm done something like this he would be dragged over the coals, this Muppet shrugs it off as a joke.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
So protestants are orange and catholics are green on St. Patrick's day.

I do not know about these religions or if there is any bad blood but could this not be taken like a "root for your team" kind of scenario? Is it THAT touchy? Like extreme...

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
So protestants are orange and catholics are green on St. Patrick's day.

I do not know about these religions or if there is any bad blood but could this not be taken like a "root for your team" kind of scenario? Is it THAT touchy? Like extreme...

Bidens comments are a throwback to that era. Irish are always green!

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

It was a distasteful "joke" and he should apologize. He's not going to resign. I think you should probably provide a little more context.

For those who don't know, Joe Biden is Catholic and of Irish descent and there's a history (Belfast Telegraph 2008):

The man who will be Barack Obama’s Vice-President once described Britain’s position in Northern Ireland as “absolutely outrageous”.

Joe Biden (65) hit the headlines in the 1980s for his stand against the deportation of IRA suspects from the US to Britain.

In 1985 he told the Senate during a debate on a possible extradition treaty: “If we ratify this treaty, we will be admitting that the justice system in Northern Ireland is fair — a notion I absolutely abhor.”

While he condemned IRA murderers, he spoke about the threat to the civil liberties of the IRA killers if they were ever returned to Northern Ireland.

The Delaware Senator, who will be number two at the White House in January, has Northern Irish ancestry.

His grandfather, Ambrose Finnegan, emigrated to the US from Londonderry around 1910. He was one of the hundreds of textile workers who came to work at the DuPont factories.

edit on 2015-3-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Irish are always green!

Bigot!

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555
www.youtube.com...

Lyrics from The Irish Rovers

"The Orange And The Green" was written by Anthony Murphy.

Oh it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen
My father he was orange and me mother she was green

Oh my father was an Ulsterman, proud Protestant was he
Me mother was a Catholic girl, from County Cork was she
They were married in two churches, lived happily enough
Until the day that I was born and things got rather tough

Baptized by father Riley, I was rushed away by car
To be made a little Orangeman, my father's shining star
I was christened David Anthony, but still in spite of that
To my father I was William while me mother called me Pat

With mother every Sunday to mass I'd proudly stroll
Then after that the orange lodge would try to save my soul
For both sides tried to claim me, but I was smart because
I played the flute or played the harp, depending where I was

Now when I'd sing those rebel songs, much to me mother's joy,
My father would jump and say "Look here would you me boy.
That's quite enough of that lot", he'd then toss me a coin.
And he'd have me sing the Orange Flute or the Heroes of The Boyne

One day me ma's relations came round to visit me
Just as my father's kinfolk were all sittin' down to tea
We tried to smooth things over, but they all began to fight
And me being strictly neutral, I bashed everyone in sight

Now my parents never could agree about my type of school
My learning was all done at home, that's why I'm such a fool
They both passed on, god rest them, but left me caught between
That awful color problem of the orange and the green

Yes it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen
HEY!

www.metrolyrics.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

That's a very interesting link and explains quite a lot. It was quite fashionable back in the 80s to support the IRA if you were an Irish american, even if you came from the 'other side' lol.
Can you imagine another first world country having a terrorist sympathiser in such a prominent role?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
Of course , if you look at the years that were posted , could this have been before selective senility set in ?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Biden is just plain dumb,I mean really,did anyone ever accuse him of being smart?

second line

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   
This really is a non story. The good aul PC brigade is out in force this morning but the sentiment here in the Republic this AM is that no one really cares.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw it on the news after the parade.

Also you said this in your OP:
"And this knob is the Vice President of America?? Really??? Is he even educated? 
It is knobs like this Biden character that makes people overseas turn against your country."

How can you be offended at Biden when you turn around and say something like that?!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join