It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman beats hunter's pet falcon to death in a bid to save wild duck's life

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: aynock
man kills wild duck with captive falcon

woman kills captive falcon with scarf

why is one worse than the other?

i think the only issue you can have with this, is that the woman destroyed the man's 'property'

a wild falcon is a beautiful thing - that is natural

imo this falcon was a 'toy'

I suspect the falcon was trying to eat. She got angry at the falcon and beat it senseless, killing it. Now both the duck and the falcon are dead. The falcon was doing what comes naturally to it. The man had a hunting license and had permission to be in the area to hunt. Falcons are predatory animals and have the need to hunt now and then. Yes, they can take food from their master I'm sure, but I'm sure they need to satisfy their need to hunt as well. Which was what they were doing that day.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Having had to care for your rare birds be for. They do not come cheap and it's hard to get them from good breeders. Most people with them do spend a lot more time with them then with people. It become a huge part of their life. The ladies scarf also killed that.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

She got angry at the falcon and beat it senseless, killing it.

the story says the falcon initially flew away and was recovered dead later by the owner - no indication she didn't swing at it once to frighten it away - in fact there's no evidence she struck the falcon at all - the man doesn't claim to have seen her strike it - the bird may have been injured by the duck for all we know - the duck will have fought for it's life

Falcons are predatory animals and have the need to hunt now and then

wild birds kill or starve - neither the man or falcon were in any danger of starving

Now both the duck and the falcon are dead.

if the man wasn't hunting wild birds for his own pleasure neither would be dead
edit on 17-3-2015 by aynock because: filled out

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

She got angry at the falcon and beat it senseless, killing it.

the story says the falcon initially flew away and was recovered dead later by the owner - no indication she didn't swing at it once to frighten it away - in fact there's no evidence she struck the falcon at all - the man doesn't claim to have seen her strike it - the bird may have been injured by the duck for all we know - the duck will have fought for it's life

Falcons are predatory animals and have the need to hunt now and then

wild birds kill or starve - neither the man or falcon were in any danger of starving

Now both the duck and the falcon are dead.

if the man wasn't hunting wild birds for his own pleasure neither would be dead

the falcon may have been injured by the DUCK?! lol, what?!

here's a direct quote from the article referenced in the OP

Walker wrote in a report: 'The woman later stated that she had been very upset about the duck being injured, but felt bad about injuring someone's pet, because she 'beat the crap out of it really hard.'" Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

she admittidly beat the "crap" out of the falcon. and she even said she was upset about injuring someone's pet. she knows she was in the wrong because what she did was uncalled for and out of line.

oh yeah, and this is the 2nd line of the article

Patti MacDonald, 60, of Hauser, was charged with beating or harassing an animal after authorities say she fractured the skull of an eight-year-old falcon named Hornet on January 7. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

so even the authorities are taking the position that SHE was responsible for fracturing the skull of that poor little guy.
edit on 17-3-2015 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CallmeRaskolnikov

the falcon may have been injured by the DUCK?! lol, what?!

here's a direct quote from the article referenced in the OP

Walker wrote in a report: 'The woman later stated that she had been very upset about the duck being injured, but felt bad about injuring someone's pet, because she 'beat the crap out of it really hard.'"

she admittidly beat the "crap" out of the falcon. and she even said she was upset about injuring someone's pet. she knows she was in the wrong because what she did was uncalled for and out of line.

oh yeah, and this is the 2nd line of the article

Patti MacDonald, 60, of Hauser, was charged with beating or harassing an animal after authorities say she fractured the skull of an eight-year-old falcon named Hornet on January 7.
so even the authorities are taking the position that SHE was responsible for fracturing the skull of that poor little guy.

You're expecting people to read now. It's a very lost art. It's hard for others to do.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

You're expecting people to read now. It's a very lost art. It's hard for others to do.

my apologies - that certainly changes things

i feel very sorry for the woman now - she's obviously full of remorse for killing a bird

unlike the falcon owner - i've got no sympathy with him

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

you're absolutely right. information present in the title of the article let alone in the first line of the article being glossed over. i mean c'mon.

a reply to: aynock

you have no sympathy for a pet owner whose pet was needlessly slaughtered by a woman who admits she did wrong?

believe it or not some people still using hunting as a method for obtaining food. and sometimes that food is duck. it's the equivalent of someone using a bloodhound or a Labrador retriever to catch a duck and someone else seeing the dog with the duck in its mouth getting upset and bludgeoning the innocent pet to death because they don't agree with mother nature. it's not like this guy was sicking his falcon on ducks for a good laugh or to be cruel. he was letting the falcon do what it would have done naturally anyway.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

you have no sympathy for a pet owner whose pet was needlessly slaughtered by a woman who admits she did wrong?

no - the woman is repentant - that counts for something with me

the man isn't remorseful for killing the duck needlessly

the situation isn't natural - the falcon isn't wild - imo the man is killing wild birds for fun - he doesn't need to kill the bird to eat - a wild falcon does

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

again, the falcon was being trained to hunt because it was raised by hand from birth. so the falcon didn't have a natural mother to teach it how to survive and catch food for itself. it wouldn't have had any other chance to naturally gain the skills it would have acquired in the wild unless this guy trained and taught it how to survive in its natural habitat.

an important aspect of maintaining an animals health if it's captive. so it was actually the falcon hunting for food for itself to eat. as can be seen in the first picture in the article. that's his falcon eating a different duck from another occasion. not to mention that it's a possibility that the falcon's specific breed could have previously been endangered and the breed was only recently removed from the endangered species list.

and again i love animals more than some people even. and i believe they all have the right to life. but there was nothing wrong with what this guy was doing. plus we don't know anything about how the man feels in regards to the ducks life. for all we know he could have intended to pray over its dead body thanking it for it's sacrifice and life. you're making a lot of assumptions in regards to the man because the death of the duck is bothering you.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

and again i love animals more than some people even. and i believe they all have the right to life.

except the ones people want to kill for fun

but there was nothing wrong with what this guy was doing.

in your opinion - mine is different

the death of the duck is bothering you.

no, it bothers me that people enjoy killing animals

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

again those are ALL assumptions. you THINK he was killing the duck for fun, which to me is very bizarre considering we know nothing about the guy. and you THINK that he was again sicking his falcon on the duck because he got some kind of sick enjoyment out of killing the animal and seeing it die, again very bizarre way of thinking to me. i can see your point of view don't get me wrong.

but, why are you disregarding the fact that the animal was raised from hand and NEEDS to learn how to hunt? and in this case the BIRD not the MAN was killing the duck. do you not agree with a lion killing a antelope for example?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

man kills wild duck with captive falcon

woman kills captive falcon with scarf

why is one worse than the other?

i think the only issue you can have with this, is that the woman destroyed the man's 'property'

a wild falcon is a beautiful thing - that is natural

imo this falcon was a 'toy'

a reply to: paraphi

the main problem i have is with the man killing wild animals for fun - something i disagree with

also, i don't like the idea of keeping wild animals as pets - domesticated animals are a different matter - not that i would personally keep one of those either

many falconers treat their animals very well, but some don't - a lot of 'kids' in my area like to keep sparrowhawks and go out hunting birds with them for 'a bit of fun' - many of them are not kept well, and are flown in areas where it is illegal to do so, often during the breeding season

the motivation of the woman (however misguided) was to try and save the duck - i suspect she wasn't trying to kill the falcon

the motivation of the man was to kill the duck

i feel as equally sorry about the needless death of the duck as the needless death of the falcon - but then i'm a big fan of all birds - especially wild ones - and especially raptors

Pretty much sums up my thoughts..

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

do you not agree with a lion killing a antelope for example?

not if the lion is a captive lion that's been set upon the antelope by it's trainer (for fun)

many, many people keep birds of prey without using them to hunt wild animals

falconry lure

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

i understand. my only point of contention is the "for fun" bit. that's indeterminable at this point in time unless we know the man personally, which we don't. i don't believe anything should be killed just "for fun". it's incredibly callous and unnecessary and we should be more evolved than that.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Time for a break for me. Apparently people are losing their minds today. I need to get away from the rabbit hole before I lose mine as well. (What in the holy dickens is going on here that we get mad at a falcon for doing what comes natural and claim "it's fun"? Have we all lost our minds?)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

but, why are you disregarding the fact that the animal was raised from hand and NEEDS to learn how to hunt?

reading obviously is a very lost art - it states in the op that the bird is 8 years old - i would imagine the man has used it to kill many many wild birds

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

we get mad at a falcon for doing what comes natural and claim "it's fun"?

reading obviously is a very lost art - i've made it very clear i feel sorry for the falcon - it's the man's actions i don't like

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

but, why are you disregarding the fact that the animal was raised from hand and NEEDS to learn how to hunt?

reading obviously is a very lost art - it states in the op that the bird is 8 years old - i would imagine the man has used it to kill many many wild birds

not for nothing but, your imagination and the reality of the situation are two completely different things. again your making pretty wide assumptions concerning the bird and the man. for all we know this could have been the first time the man ever tried to let the falcon hunt an animal in the wild. who knows, but jumping to conclusions isn't helpful. regardless, what the man was doing was completely within his legal rights. unlike the woman who smashed the poor animals skull and leg.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

for all we know this could have been the first time the man ever tried to let the falcon hunt an animal in the wild.

for all we know he could have killed hundreds of wild birds with it

if he's hunting with a gyrfalcon (the largest and most powerful falcon in the world), which is what it looks like to me, he's a very experienced falconer, who sees nothing wrong with hunting wild birds for fun

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

for all we know this could have been the first time the man ever tried to let the falcon hunt an animal in the wild.

for all we know he could have killed hundreds of wild birds with it

if he's hunting with a gyrfalcon (the largest and most powerful falcon in the world), which is what it looks like to me, he's a very experienced falconer, who sees nothing wrong with hunting wild birds for fun

Your presumptions, Aynock, is where some of us are having issues. Because you do not know, and unless this guy is your neighbore, or best friend, or such, you cannot know, and passing judgment is a rather, ugly thing to do.. Here, allow me to turn around and presume some things about you. Just to be fair.

I presume you don't eat meat, at all, by the way your action. And I presume you think hunting or fishing or any other sort of thing are barbaric, as for those of use who do eat meant, we should just get it at the grocery store.

I presume, you are incapable of understanding just how all the old skills we used to have, are going away, because "they're not needed anymore". There are some fine old traditions, and skills that many of us hold dear. A bond between animal and human are rare, and good ones are even harder. They are less and less common in this day and age. Thus the ignorant woman who attacked the hawk.

I presume, you will have a short existence should the supply chain to your local store, ever stops working for a extended period of time.

I feel sorry for lettuce, as it feels and knows whats eating it too. Case in point

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join