It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pasta sauce with as much sugar as a candy bar

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
a reply to: Anyafaj

Not sure if this is true, i hear they add sugar to milk as well. Can anyone confirm?

No. What you may have heard is that by the time you get down to 1% and skim milk all you are left with is watery stuff and the milk sugars. So at that point you might as well either spring for more expensive non-dairy milks or just buy the full fat stuff and get the benefits of having the rest of the stuff in your dairy milk because despite what they tell you, the milk fat isn't bad for you so long as you don't over-do it.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is why for processed food I always look at the label and skip it if sugar features prominently. Even better if I don't see a sugar on the label at all.

I know that doesn't mean there aren't sugars in it, but anytime they specifically list a sugar, it means they added it specially on top of what might already naturally be in there. Juice is especially bad for this. It's not like fruit doesn't have plenty of its own sugar, so why would you need more added?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

The problem we have here is that in many people's minds these sugar counts are not 'hidden'. People who care about what they put into their body already know these counts and many others. This is where we fall down - in the education to the masses of what we are eating.

Take carbs - I regularly do not eat carbs for a few weeks. The amount of times people say "So, bread.. is that a carb?" or... "Well you can just have a bowl of rice then can't you?" or even... "At least you can still eat chocolate".

We're uneducated in the food we eat. And what happens to it inside our bodies and how it effects us.

GI level is a very important factor to consider when discussing sugar counts and possibly should be discussed everytime a list like this springs up... or else it doesn't mean too much.

EDIT: The pasta sauce has processed sugar in which is an evil killer! But it also has fibre in the form of vegetables which help notify the body when to stop eating and also carry sugar through the intestines without it all going into the body.

Myself, because I have an Italian step-grandmother I make my own pasta sauce. To offset the acidity in the tomatoes, I only use a 1/4-1/2 tsp of sugar, and I make mine spicy with crushed red pepper. I think if you make your own, you can control the sugar in your diet.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Anyafaj

Pasta sauce with as much sugar as a candy bar

All the more reason I make my own.

That's what I do. I know how to make most of the basic sauces, so I make a good majority of my own.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
This is why for processed food I always look at the label and skip it if sugar features prominently. Even better if I don't see a sugar on the label at all.

I know that doesn't mean there aren't sugars in it, but anytime they specifically list a sugar, it means they added it specially on top of what might already naturally be in there. Juice is especially bad for this. It's not like fruit doesn't have plenty of its own sugar, so why would you need more added?

For myself, if juice is super sweet, I water it down. Ugh! It's gross! For me, it will be, 1/3 juice, 2/3 water in the cup.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Not sure if this is true, i hear they add sugar to milk as well. Can anyone confirm?

FDA to Allow Unlabeled Use of Aspartame in Dairy Products

I am not sure if this is going on today. I do not drink milk

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

it could be possible that it is added in some milk....but i wouldn't think so. at least, not in whole milk. if i consume milk (which is rare) its only whole milk. Lowfat/skim gives no added benefit, and would be the likely source of added sugar (you have to replace the flavor of the fats with sugars....which reduces calorie overall)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

For myself, if juice is super sweet, I water it down. Ugh! It's gross! For me, it will be, 1/3 juice, 2/3 water in the cup.

Same here. I cannot drink fruit juice (when I do drink it) without diluting it with at least half the amount being water.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

same here.

fruit juice tends to be a bunch of sugar. i can't do sugar drinks.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Imagine how much of that sugar we'd be burning if we weren't sitting here in a chair.
edit on 16-3-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I'm on my stationary bike.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Yes you can control the sugar in your diet but....

What happens to all that pasta you are eating with the sauce once it enters your body?

Watch how much starchy carbohydrate you eat. They are turned into sugars in the body and stored as fat if your body doesn’t use the energy up! Watch the size of your portions!

Quick Google link
So this is exactly what I'm saying... People think they are educated about food but they're not. People cut back on fat but keep eating carbs. There's no black and white, everyone's body is different but if you think you are cutting down on sugar... maybe you are actually not?!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

What happens to all that pasta you are eating with the sauce once it enters your body?

Watch how much starchy carbohydrate you eat. They are turned into sugars in the body and stored as fat if your body doesn’t use the energy up! Watch the size of your portions!

Quick Google link
So this is exactly what I'm saying... People think they are educated about food but they're not. People cut back on fat but keep eating carbs. There's no black and white, everyone's body is different but if you think you are cutting down on sugar... maybe you are actually not?!

Yous should check out the video I put on page one, It explains in scientific terms how and why different sugars are stored in the body.

It's main focus is fructose, thats the one to watch regarding weight gain.

As you say most people have no idea what actually happens when you eat food!
edit on 16/3/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

It doesn't even take a sugar.

Obviously you can always play the game of calories in/calories burned.....

...but from the perspective of ketosis it is all about glycemic response. Fructose creates significant response, like any other sugar (anything ending in "ose", pretty much).

The class of sweeteners known as polyols are heralded as being zero calorie. And that may be true....but most of them still generate an insulin response. Maltitol, the main sweetener in sugar free candy, is the worst. It actually can create an insulin response that equals that of sugar, and is the cause of stumbling for many ketogenic diets. Xylitol is another popular polyol that is just about as bad as sugar.

Erythritol is about the only one you can use. The added benefit: its good for the teeth. I believe Truvia is erythritol....i buy mine in large foil bags online so don't know for sure.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If I'm in ketosis I see no point in substituting processed sugar for sweeteners... for me it's all about kicking the sugar crave.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

FDA to Allow Unlabeled Use of Aspartame in Dairy Products

I am not sure if this is going on today. I do not drink milk

I'll have to start checking milk label now for that crap. I'm banned from Aspartame and it's buddies. My neurologist banned me. I get very severe migraines due to a pineal cyst, sometimes up to 5 a day. Aspartame can worsen it.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Same here. I cannot drink fruit juice (when I do drink it) without diluting it with at least half the amount being water.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one! I love the Kool-Aid packets where you add your own sugar, because instead of the full cup it calls for, I add 2/3 of a cup. Sometimes less.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Imagine how much of that sugar we'd be burning if we weren't sitting here in a chair.

Thanks to having a high wired dog, I'm constantly outside for a walk every hour for a half hour walk. My dog is a Chihuahua/Jack Russell/Mini-Pinscher mix.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Quick Google link

I only eat a half cup of pasta for dinner. I don't eat much because I'm on Topamax for migraines. I lost 50 pounds between October and now alone. When I was on Lyrica as well, I was about 50 pounds overweight because Lyrica makes you gain weight, but UPMC For You (Pennsylvania health insurance claims I don't have Fibromyalgia because I haven't been diagnosed in PA, yet, I was diagnosed in NY AND it's in my records. I'm too annoyed to deal with it at the moment, so a pain doc put me on Vicodin for now, and Robaxin. Yeah, more meds.)

Most of my meals are small. I'll have boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or lean red meat, with steamed vegetable, and possibly a starch, but sometimes not, because by then I'm full. If I have a pasta, it's usually about a half a cup, and if I'm still hungry later, a small snack. I never eat breakfast because it makes me sick to my stomach. Rarely I'll eat lunch.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I also rarely drink milk and when i do, it's whole lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join