It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SlenderMan Murderer Teens to be tried as ADULTS and face up to 65 years in prison!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

The two young girls who stabbed one of their classmates and left her for dead are now facing 65 years in prison.

A judge has ruled that Anissa Weier, 13, and her friend Morgan Geyser, 12, of Waukesha, Wisconsin, will be tried as adults as they stand trial for their attack on Peyton Leutner, 12, who nearly died.

Both girls have been charged with attempted first-degree intentional homicide.

Now, defense attorneys for the girls have scheduled hearings in hopes of moving their cases back to juvenile court.

SlenderMan Murderer Teens to be tried as ADULTS and face up to 65 years in prison!

In a video, obtained by WISN, the girls both say they told Peyton they wanted to go bird watching, this after planning their attack on the school bus.

'People who trust you become very gullible,' Morgan told police.

'And it was sort of sad.'

WOW! If those girls got the full 65 bid with no parole, they'd be in their late 70's before they can even have a taste of freedom again. Truthfully I know some facts here but not all, but that quote from Morgan, just shows a lost girl, not a hardened killer. Myself I'd have to know more facts in the case before I can make a full judgment. How much of this is lying. How much is possible undiagnosed mental illness in one, and follow the leader in the other? Not to mention, IF they got the full 65 years, it's essentially the death penalty, without saying the death penalty.
edit on 3/14/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

In reality people only serve a fraction of the original sentence. It's not the same as a death sentence, but would be the death of their childhood and early adulthood.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   
In what mad world is it right to try a 12 and a 13 year old as adults. Adults are adults and kids are kids. At this age they make mistakes. This is of course a huge one!

It is just so stupid. These two need help and lots of it. Not lock them away for the rest of their lives.

Where oh where has the Justice gone!

Just how?

P

+13 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   

In what mad world is it right to try a 12 and a 13 year old as adults.

I am not sure i agree totally . By the age of 12 i am pretty sure that my moral compass was set pretty accurately . Did i make mistakes , yes certainly but little things . I can not ever remember murder being brought up in conversation except if we were discussing one that had already been committed . As for slender man , pretty poor pre conceived excuse if you ask me . Lock them up , melt the keys .

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Wow I hadn't heard of this story until now. The Slender man connection is weird, they claim that they had visions of Slender Man and he threatened to kill their families if they didn't kill the other girl... I'm not sure if they're mentally ill or if they're just trying to use that as an excuse, or worse yet maybe someone has been messing with their heads.

In any case I don't think it's right to charge these children as adults. People are always making arguments for how children don't have the mental capacity to make informed decisions, especially when it comes to sex. So why in this case are they now mature enough to know exactly what they were doing? It sets a very bad precedent if you ask me...
edit on 14/3/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

At this age they make mistakes. This is of course a huge one!

Dating the wrong guy for a week, shaving off all of your hair, and getting your eyeball tattooed... are what I would call "mistakes".

Stabbing someone 19 times ?

Not something I would label as a "mistake".

Getting into a fight and stabbing someone once in the heat of the moment, yes that can be viewed as a "mistake"... but continuing to stab them 18 more times crosses over into the "psychotic Helter Skelter" section of the book.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I think the fact that this was something they planned and the put into place is what is getting them charged as adults. Instead, say, if it had been something done out of anger or another emotion. The cold blooded plotting to murder a friend is not kid like at all. Although honestly what they need is a lot of therapy. No sane child would ever come up with and go through with something like this.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

WOW! If those girls got the full 65 bid with no parole, they'd be in their late 70's before they can even have a taste of freedom again.

It’s extreme, yes. Not as extreme as if their victim had died. That death would have guaranteed no more life for that person to enjoy freedom in. Have to keep that in perspective. It was their intention to permanently rid that person of their life.

just shows a lost girl, not a hardened killer.

Ted Bundy was a charming lad. Looks can be deceiving.

How much is possible undiagnosed mental illness in one

Hopefully that will be assessed and should an underlying psychiatric condition be shown as the catalyst to their actions then I would hope the appropriate solution be handed out.

and follow the leader in the other?

Unless proven to be under duress I don’t think it matters under law if one was the leader and the other was the follower. They both directly played a role in this:

Both girls have been charged with attempted first-degree intentional homicide..

Not to mention, IF they got the full 65 years, it's essentially the death penalty, without saying the death penalty.

Essentially. Potentially.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

In what mad world is it right to try a 12 and a 13 year old as adults.

I am not sure i agree totally . By the age of 12 i am pretty sure that my moral compass was set pretty accurately . Did i make mistakes , yes certainly but little things . I can not ever remember murder being brought up in conversation except if we were discussing one that had already been committed . As for slender man , pretty poor pre conceived excuse if you ask me . Lock them up , melt the keys .

You can't just cherry pick when you will and wont label a person as a child based on the crime they committed. You're letting your emotions override logic.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

That's going to be a very unpopular opinion but I tend to share it with you regardless of "likes".

I never even dreamed of murder at that age. Like you, we did some stupid stuff but nothing near to this. My daughter knew what death was when she was younger than either of these girls. I'd venture a guess that she's likely not abnormal since most kids don't go around just murdering anyone for any reason.

Do these kids need help? Absolutely. Normal folks don't do things like this. Not children and not adults either. I don't object to any help, but I do object to them getting a slap on the wrist simply because of their age. I can't tell you how many times I've heard kids say (even when I was one) if I get caught stealing a pack of smokes, they can't really charge me until I'm 18. If I take this car, my record will be clean when I'm 18. Kids aren't stupid and thoughts like that prove it. They are well aware of the risks of committing crimes under and over age.

I don't know how much time they should have and I'm damn glad I'm not the one that has to decide that, but they absolutely need something more than once a month therapy until they are 18 if they feel up to it. Stabbing someone this many times screams of a little more than a temper tantrum.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

At this age they make mistakes.

I very much qualified as a teen that was quite lost at that age. Problems at school, and at home. Yet murder, or grave physical harm, was never ever something I had ever considered doing to anyone. Not ever. Nothing beyond school fights with a fist or two exchanged as they seemingly happened out of the blue. I agree with CranialSponge. Stabbing someone over and over is not a typical teenage mistake... it's a demonstration to the World this person(s) is unfit to live in our society. At least for a while...

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
a reply to: hutch622

That's going to be a very unpopular opinion but I tend to share it with you regardless of "likes".

Actually the opinion expressed by hutch622 appears to be the most popular opinion in the article comments, and based on the star distribution so far it's also the most popular opinion in this thread.

I never even dreamed of murder at that age. Like you, we did some stupid stuff but nothing near to this. My daughter knew what death was when she was younger than either of these girls.

Sure kids understand death and they know it's wrong, as did these two girls based on their testimony. But what children don't understand is the full implications and consequences of their actions. That's why even if a child consents to have sex with an adult it's considered rape, because even though the child understood what sex was, and they were fully capable of performing the act, they still don't understand the full ramifications of their actions and they can't be held fully responsible due to that. Saying that children are fully capable of understanding murder is no different, you can't just treat them as adults because the emotional centers of your brain want to see harsh revenge dished out to the perpetrators.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Stabbing someone over and over is not a typical teenage mistake... it's a demonstration to the World this person(s) is unfit to live in our society. At least for a while...

Yes but is it a demonstration they are capable of fully understanding their actions and should be treated as if they had the mental capacity of an adult? What does "a while" mean?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
In what mad world is it right to try a 12 and a 13 year old as adults. Adults are adults and kids are kids. At this age they make mistakes. This is of course a huge one!

It is just so stupid. These two need help and lots of it. Not lock them away for the rest of their lives.

Where oh where has the Justice gone!

Just how?

P

Really......Learn the facts of this case. These little evil girls planned this for over a year. They left the girl for dead after stabbing her over and over again. They have been trying to play the system from the get go with the crazy defense. This is the very definition of 1st degree murder.

Lock them up and throw away the key. They do not deserve to be free ever again. They will do this again if they let them go. Thankfully for them the world is filled with bleeding hearts feeling bad for them.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

That's the reason I said that I was glad I'm not the one who has to choose what amount they serve. I don't know what they deserve, but I do know that they don't deserve to just walk on this. Not at all.

I'm imagining a Children of The Corn scenario if we start letting anyone under the age of 18 just do whatever the hell they want with nothing but the threat of having to put down their play station controller once a month to go and talk about their feelings.

I'm a mother. I have pity on both sides. All the families involved in this have lost. I'm sure the parents of the two attackers love their children just as much as the parents of the victim love her. Punishment is not a simple win/win here. There has to be some gray area. There's not a magic switch that instantly turns on when a child reaches their 18th birthday so one has to assume that full mental growth can happen anytime before or after that.

Again... I don't have the answer but -

They can't just walk. It's not right. This wasn't an accident or even an occasion where one "snapped" and lost control. This was premeditated.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

That's the reason I said that I was glad I'm not the one who has to choose what amount they serve. I don't know what they deserve, but I do know that they don't deserve to just walk on this. Not at all.

I'm imagining a Children of The Corn scenario if we start letting anyone under the age of 18 just do whatever the hell they want with nothing but the threat of having to put down their play station controller once a month to go and talk about their feelings.

I don't think anyone is saying they should just walk. I imagine that even if they were to be charged as children they would have to serve many years in a juvenile detention center. The only point I'm trying to make is that it would be hypocritical and contradictory to charge these girls as adults in order to inflict the maximum possible sentence. There's no doubt they don't deserve a light punishment, but they also don't deserve to spend the rest of their lives in prison, especially since the other girl didn't die.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Yes but is it a demonstration they are capable of fully understanding their actions and should be treated as if they had the mental capacity of an adult?

Well understanding their actions or not doesn't change they are unsafe to be around.

That said, I already acknowledged in my first post that should it be shown that preexisting psychiatric conditions were ultimately the cause then their punishment/treatment should be in accordance to that.

Whether they had the 'mental capacity of adults' is an arbitrary idea which would be hard to analyze in one thread. I will just say that I don't think it's an intelligent position to make this absolute distinction that prior to 18 means people necessarily don't have the mental ability to be fully cognizant of their actions and their consequences.

Based on what very little info we have in that article it sounds like they were quite aware and understanding of what they planned to do, and what they in fact did do.

the girls both say they told Peyton they wanted to go bird watching, this after planning their attack on the school bus.

'People who trust you become very gullible,' Morgan told police.

'And it was sort of sad.'

Anissa is more emotional during her interview, wiping away tears at one point.

'We told her we were going to get help,' she told police about the moments after the two stabbed Peyton. "
'But we weren't. We were going to run and let her pass away. So we ran.'

She also begins singing to herself at one point during the six-hour interview, and told police of her plan; 'You have no idea how difficult it was not to tell anyone. I knew we'd get in trouble.'

What does "a while" mean?

Not for me to decide.
edit on 14-3-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Oh wow...
Pretty torn on this one, I guess if I had to choose, charge them and give them the time.

Let them get the help and go from there and reevaluate at a later date.

I know the help in that system isn't the best, but these girls went above and beyond when they carried this out.

I would like to believe only one was truly sadistic, but how does one go that far following if that is the case.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80
Based on something as ridiculous as one photo and a few quotes I would have to say Morgan is the wolf leading the pact.

'People who trust you become very gullible"

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   

It looks to me like an extremely emotional, subjective response to a horrible crime. These girls are juveniles with a capacity to change and with brains that haven't fully-formed. These are psychological and biological facts and not a political opinion. They should be tried as juveniles.

Prosecuting them through the juvenile system won't make them any more, or less, guilty so why bring disgust into the proceedings?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join