It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you heard "The Hum" and what is it?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot
a reply to: jonwhite866

I doubt it's ET.

Follow the sound and you will possibly come across an industrial pump or something similar.

I live in Wisconsin around a bunch of cranberry marshes. I use to live in the city but moved out to a rural area. On cool nights I use to hear a faint hum or drone sound and thought it was really strange. I latter found out the sound was from 5 big diesel engines used to pump water for a sprinkler system on a cranberry marsh about 1/2 mile away. I also used to hear a strange hum at my grandmothers house, and found out it was from the sound of cars on an interstate road near by.

SO yeah these sounds can be from many different things.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
From today's 'Independent' (British broadsheet newspaper).

Have you heard 'the hum'? Mystery of Earth's low droning noise could now be solved

However, the search for the truth could now be over as researchers claim that microseismic activity from long ocean waves impacting the sea bed is what makes our planet vibrate and produces the droning sound.

The pressure of the waves on the seafloor generates seismic waves that cause the Earth to oscillate, said Fabrice Ardhuin, a senior research scientist at Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique in France.

The continuous waves produce sounds lasting from 13 to 300 seconds. They can be heard by a relatively small proportion of people – who are sensitive to the hums – and also by seismic instruments.

“We have made a big step in explaining this mysterious signal and where it is coming from and what is the mechanism,” Ardhuin said of the study published in Geophysical Research Letters, a journal of the American Geophysical Union..

link

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: defiythelie
I use to live in the city but moved out to a rural area. On cool nights I use to hear a faint hum or drone sound and thought it was really strange. I latter found out the sound was from 5 big diesel engines used to pump water for a sprinkler system on a cranberry marsh about 1/2 mile away.
Where i used to live was also somewhat rural and I heard a low-pitched throbbing or pulsating sound that seemed like it could have been a pumping operation of some sort.

One night I decided I'd try to follow the sound to the source, but determining the direction of low frequency sound is nearly impossible, so I couldn't figure out the direction. It was too quiet to hear over the noise my car made and there weren't that many roads, so I never found it, but I suspect it was something similar to what you found, probably a pumping operation. I never heard it anywhere else I lived so it was definitely regional in origin.

a reply to: karl 12
Thanks for the interesting link. That may explain the hum some people hear, but probably not the hum I heard which only happened at one of my previous addresses.

Also that's one way the Earth can make a humming sound, but there are others too, like this one:

Booming Sands

At roughly 30 locations around the world, sand dunes seem to sing, producing haunting and baffling sounds....
Now, engineers Melany Hunt and Christopher Brennen of the California Institute of Technology are on the case. Their theory is that the booming sand dunes act like enormous musical instruments.
It's possible that there are other, as yet undiscovered sources where wind or water interacting with the Earth can make humming sounds.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I started hearing the hum back around 2011, mainly at home but would also notice it a couple of suburbs away from time to time, this went on sporadically until i moved state in 2012 & came back when i moved back into the same house some 6 months later, it went on for a while & then stopped within a year or two im guessing. It was not constantly there & despite all my attempts i could not find an external source for it. So for about 4 years it stopped until the last few weeks it has returned...

Nobody around me can hear it when i point it out & if i block my ears it will stop, there for i feel its nothing internal, ive found if i move my head around the pitch/frequency can change, its obviously a very low frequency sound as it can be accompanied with a sort of vibration in my ears similar to when you listen to very low hertz soundwaves. The most logical thing i can tie it to some sort of underground digging but i feel that makes no sense...

I live in Melbourne, Australia & im aware that in the CBD they are currently (i think) digging a new underground train network but this would be a good 4-5KM away and heading in a direction away from my suburb. I really struggle to find a rational answer. I considered the meds i was taking when it first appeared (Lyrica) but i no longer take them so im pretty much all out of ideas.

Anybody else have the hum reappear recently?

P.S... Sorry for the thread necromancy but figured it was better posted here than in a new thread.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DissociativeInfinity

I wish! I have been keeping track of all the odd noises phenomenon since they started, it seems ages ago. In person I have not heard it at all. With YouTube it's hard to tell if this is what they are hearing or fake. Some YouTube videos have posted in my state of Maine, and I still haven't heard it. I would like to actually hear it so I can determine where specifically it's coming from.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Without sounding stupid it's not an electric fence I take it?
I have heard them give off a pretty intense zingy hum sometimes.

If the wind is just right, I have heard "hums" coming from nylon strapping on tents. The wind will set up a harmonic vibration and pretty soon the strap and the whole tent will start buzzing. It doesn't have to be tents, of course. Could be any strap long enough to be vibrated by the wind.

There was a Skinwalker Rance video that had this very thing on it a few years back.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Are you talking about the sound of metal scrapping against metal? Yeah it's creepy here in Missouri all the time.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join