It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Bill to Make Filming Police Illegal

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac
It doesn't really matter if your audio dash cam is deemed inadmissible, now does it?

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

OMeffinG!!!! Dallas Police and FOP are precisely the criminal b@stards that screwed me so bad and got away with it scott free.

Oh Villalba is getting a hand written letter from my @ss now. What a piece of dung. Puppet. Dung puppet.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
There's a good reason why most - if not all - pro fighters watch their own fights and other fights not even involving them, and that is because they can learn a lot by analysing such footage. If Texas leo's weren't so corrupt or incompetent, they'd be paying the public for footage of their officers in action, in order to improve their future strategies and techniques.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: IvanAstikov

As many of us here have pointed out time and time again there is very little down side to them being on video, if they are doing what they should be. The fact that many large department fight it tooth and nail every time and for different reason, just goes to show how bad they have gotten.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
And (drumroll) - the ones who asked Villalba for the bill are outed - Dallas Police Officers Association and FOP.

So it's a union sponsored bill, as I suspected. Cha-ching!

Villalba just came out and admitted that he was handed the bill pre-written by police unions (he didn't say which, but likely DPA and/or FOP, given his coziness with both) and didn't bother to read the thing, just introduced it as is.

Not that he's withdrawing it, mind you, just that he's trying to buy a bit of wiggle room by owning up to its provenance.

This gives you to think...

1) This guy is a state rep.

One of his core job functions is to introduce new legislature. The legislature he introduces may pass. If it does, it affects the lives of not only his constituency, but that of a state larger than some countries. And he doesn't even read the crap he's introducing.

2) He was handed a bill hot off the press from DPA/FOP, and didn't bother vetting it.

I don't want to use the "b" word here, but unless this guy's the rep from DPA, it seems a bit odd that they hand him bills and say, basically, "introduce this as is, boy", and he does it. After all, he may have DPA members IN his constituency, but they're nowhere near even a percentage point of the whole thing.

Now, there's lots of organizations, causes and the like that I'm really really fond of, and would favor, but I think even if my own brothers came to me with a bill and said "Introduce this as is, no questions, jackass" (which is how they'd do it), I'd be suspicious. I can't think of any law that I'd introduce without at least proof-reading before I put my name on it, and if it was as god-awful as this thing, I wouldn't introduce it for my Mom, much less a fractional percentage of the people I'm supposed to be working for.

3) This is what police unions really want.

Let that sink in. They wrote it. He introduced it. This isn't some interpretation of what they want. It's not his version of what he thought they wanted. The police unions wanted this, just as is. They wrote the thing. Thou shalt not record or document your bust, or anyone else's, or we will put you in jail. That is what they wanted to have happen. Plain, and to the point. You will not record us. We don't care if you get close. We don't care if you are close ARMED, but buddy, you'd better not have a camera out. Or a notepad.

He didn't make this up to make his cop buddies happy. It's not his bill. THEY WROTE THAT, in all its awful glory.

4) You don't see a big stink by Texas LEOs. I don't see them piling up to reject this. I don't see any resistance by them at ALL, really. There's no lines of cops on the news saying "no, this is nuts, we call on the union to withdraw it, because it doesn't reflect the members' desires". So this means that the individual rank and file Texas LEO either agrees with them, or isn't going to say no because blue line. This is the point where I have to say, you may be a "good cop" but if you go along to get along, you're really not.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: windword As an update I offer this bit of news.

The author of a very controversial measure that would limit the right of citizens to film police activity says he may have to kill the bill, after the state's largest police organization came out against it, News Radio 1200 WOAI reports.

State Rep. Jason Villalba (R-Dallas) says he will not be able to win approval of the measure without the backing of the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas

WOAI

edit on 30-3-2015 by quercusrex because: Add Quote

edit on 30-3-2015 by quercusrex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam Thought you might find this update interesting.

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

Thanks for the link! That's awesome news for the people of Texas!

posted on Mar, 30 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
a reply to: Bedlam Thought you might find this update interesting.

I had read that elsewhere. It turns out Villalba's bill was written by DPA, who admitted to doing so after the thing died a harsh death.

CLEAT's reaction is what you should be seeing from 'good' cops. I don't know if this means there aren't any in Dallas, but there's some out of town, or what.

I find it disturbing that you have elected officials who take bills written by unions and just introduce them, no matter how crappy they are, also that you have police unions doing so. Villalba is going to be back doing divorce law shortly.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: IvanAstikov
They have developed a strategy..they are trying to pass it now.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

Maybe cops are figuring out that it's not just in our interest but theirs too that people film?
edit on 31-3-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4   >>

join