It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sir Terry Pratchett Has Died After Long Battle with Alzheimer's

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Oook.

Such sad news. Taken far, far, too early. Goodbye Mr Pratchett. Him diamond.
edit on 12-3-2015 by AngryCymraeg because: Typo

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Bedlam

No it really wasn't. I read the book after watching it. Apparently he bought the rights for several books back because he didn't like how the movies were shaping up.

I was lucky enough to read his books from the beginning, starting with the coulour of magic and then anticipating new releases.

After he gained momentum it made christmas for me as I am not one for gifts but my mum would always buy me the latest hardback and I was happy at that.

The tv adaptations were great for those that had not seen them but somehow missed the mark for me.

Diskworld the PC game was amazing though, I started playing it about 20 years ago and am still trying to finish it.

I just get lost in L space and give up for a year or 2

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Such sad news, his books bought such wonderment and joy to me and millions of others. He will be missed so, so much. Thank you Sir Terry for sharing your brilliance and allowing us into your fantastic fantasy world. R.I.P

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Sad news.

I remember finding a huge stash of his books in my garage one day when I was about 13. It blew my mind because I knew his characters from the Playstation games (Discworld & Discworld Noir) I had played years previous but didn't realise that there was a whole universe of characters and stories written down in his books. I think they were bound for a jumble sale but I sneaked them up to my room and spent the next few weeks working my way through them.

I still have them now.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Devastated.

This man has shaped my sense of humour.
His books may have been about wizards, but he was a real wizard of words. His insight and structure would have me grinning from ear to ear. The only books to ever actually make me laugh out loud.

My mum will not have nothing to buy me next christmas (it's been her easy stocking filler since I can remember).

(watching this video now, so far it's fantastic)

He did a documentary on Euthenasia, that was quite chilling and sad and uplifting in weird ways. I can't find it right now though, will update if I find it full on youtube.
(edit) Seems that doco is blocked on youtube sadly.

Did anyone hear that rumour a year ago or so about there being a TV series set in the Discworld universe?
edit on 12-3-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   
The world has lost a great inspiration, and a fantastic sense of humour, but for Sir Terry I would never have discovered Robert Rankin.
How many imaginations were inspired by this great and gentle soul ?

He left probably one of the greatest legacy's ever.

My thanks for all the guffaws, and for being there when I needed a laugh, even though you never knew it,

R.I.P. Sir Terry and thanks

Cody

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
" DEATH " come for him,
his sand has run out.
but death is a old frend of his.

if you have not any of his books
no wonder you are sad.
read his disc world.
you hay die laughing.

even read the very fist.
diggers and carpet people and hary and the bomb!

edit on 13-3-2015 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Death picked up the hourglass from the shelf as the last grain of sand dropped into the bulb. There was a commotion from behind as a small cowled robed figure entered the Life-Timer room awkwardly carrying a black wide brimmed fendora.

"SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK!"

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: cody599
The world has lost a great inspiration, and a fantastic sense of humour, but for Sir Terry I would never have discovered Robert Rankin.
How many imaginations were inspired by this great and gentle soul ?

He left probably one of the greatest legacy's ever.

My thanks for all the guffaws, and for being there when I needed a laugh, even though you never knew it,

R.I.P. Sir Terry and thanks

Cody

Totally agree, i am exactly the same......without Sir Terry, i would be without the delights of Pooley and O'Malley.

In this day and age, the word legend is often used for anyone who has just died. In Sir Terry's case, i genuinely believe the world has lost someone who will be viewed by later generations as a literary master, a true legend of his age.

It's just a shame Lu-Tze and the History Monks couldn't fiddle time a little bit.......

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Tindalos2013

SQUEAK.

SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK.

Translation: Check your mail, I put something there for you!!

- AB

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

It's just a shame Lu-Tze and the History Monks couldn't fiddle time a little bit.......

Maybe they already did?

I think someone should invite Robert Rankin to join ATS if he has not already.

He certainly has the right credentials.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
R.I.P. Mr. Pratchett.

I never read the Discworld series. I'm going to buy the first two books and have a go.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadowsOfEridu

I envy you. You get to start fresh and discover that amazing world.
Buckle in - you may fall out of your chair laughing.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
you may fall out of your chair laughing.

I have the whole collection (I first came across the books in the downstairs toilet - mini library - as a boy), dotted about and my missus would always send me a quizzical look whenever I read one. She could never understand how I could be laughing so hard from reading! It's the way he makes you conjur up the Universe in your head, he was a brilliant mind and will be sadly missed.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I could use some laughter. I haven't read a laugh out loud funny book in ages.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It turns out that several Pratchett books have been animated and are available on YT. Most fans probably prefer to read the books and let their own imagination do the rest. Here are a couple of vids for those who want to watch them...

Also these better-produced live treatments of Hogfather Pt1 and Colour of Magic Pt1 (sidebar has the other parts):

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Both Hogfather and Going Postal were made into movies and done really well.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Hogfather was a smash when it was released on TV in England.

Going Postal is news I didn't know! I'll download it right away

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

We found Hogfather at a little out of the way video shop and loved it.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I have read and enjoyed many Terry Pratchett books over the years luckily although Ive read many I have not read them all so I will still get to enjoy discovering new characters of his.the world has truly lost a legend.

I will probably get flamed for this but...... (and it may sound cliche) I really hope in years to come schools will teach Pratchett in the same way as they did shakespear.

More to the point the guy was awesomely brave and did some great work bringing awareness of dementia to the masses.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join