It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sir Terry Pratchett Has Died After Long Battle with Alzheimer's

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Sad news just breaking that author of the Discworld series Terry Pratchett Has Died at age 66.
Sir Terry was diagnosed with a rare form of early-onset Alzheimer's disease in December 2007.
Rest in Peace Sir , you had a wild sense of humour.

"The world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds," said Transworld Publishers' Larry Finlay.
Sir Terry, best known for the Discworld series, wrote more than 70 books over his lengthy career.
He was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2007, but continued writing, completing his final book last summer.
The author died at home, surrounded by his family.
www.bbc.co.uk...

I think this is the most poignant tweet I've ever read , it's put a tear in my eye.

His death was announced on his Twitter account, on Thursday afternoon.

The first tweet was composed in capital letters - which was how the author portrayed the character of Death in his novels.

edit on 12-3-2015 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Very sad news indeed.

Pratchett was unequalled in his genre and for those that study the occult much of his work was based on real esoteric knoledge.

JAK

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Just came across this news. A loss. A sad day.

We have the gift of his books forever though, what a blessing to be left with.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
R.I.P sir terry, his books gave me hours of enjoyment. Going to have to dig them out for another read.
All the best.
B. V. H

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: billyvonhelvete

I was a few behind when I found he was ill.

I am saving them, theres nothing worse than realising theres a finite number of something left.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Im going to have go on a used book shop hunt and buy some of them, my ex has the whole collection, i borrowed some hers, and theres no way im asking to borrow them again!!. Now going on wiki to form a list of the ones i need.
All the best.
B. V. H
a reply to: nonspecific

edit on 12/3/15 by billyvonhelvete because: Brain fart!, missed out words!!

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
OK this is pretty sad. 2 people I respected in entertainment dead within a 2 week period.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

This is sad sad news.

I read Colour of Magic age ten and liked it, I then read all I could get my hands on in my teens and really liked them. I now read them again as an adult and absolutely love them.

His insights into human behaviour communicated with extremely clever wit, amazing plots, really incredible characters and a whole world conceived right down to the smaller detail so it all works. My God. My Ohgod.

Just wow Terry, just wow.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

NOOOO! Discworld was one of my favorite fantasy series of all time. Mostly because it is so satirical of modern society. Ah well. Rest in peace Mr. Pratchet, you made the world brighter for many people and your works will go on to make it brighter well after you are gone.
edit on 12-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Just read the news. And what terrible, terrible news.

He was my favorite author by leaps and bounds. No more discworld. No more commander Vimes. No more Tiffany. No more Granny Weatherwax. No more Gaspode.

So sad.

For those unfamiliar with his work, do yourself a favor and read NATION. One of the best books ever written. Profound and insightful. And so underrated. It should have sold twice as many as Twilight and that filth, 50 shades combined.

So sad.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
RIP.
A lovely man and a great writer.
His legacy is immense.

Wherever he is, (Discworld probably!) it has just become a much more interesting place

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: HumansEh

I wonder if Mr. Pratchet talks in all upper case now?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
May Rincewind ever bolt across the Disc. May his Luggage ever follow.

May the corpulence and pomposity of Wizards never cease and the Patrician hold sway over Morpork until the universes end. May Carrot and his comrades ever walk the Beat.

May the Witches continue to roll their eyes, roll up their sleeves and do the hard work that needs doing. May Sam Vimes always give joy in the form of silly bedtime stories he MUST be home for.

May Small Gods ever find a home.

May the Great A'Tuin continue to swim through galactic seas and the four elephants hold their precious burden safely.

May the Color of Magic fill our hearts.

And may Death, who finally watched the last grain of sand drop in the hourglass labeled "Sir Terry Pratchett" take time for tea and CONVERSATION with the man who gave him his rock and roll dream.

*sigh*

I will miss you, Sir. You are the one author my poor husband knows I'm reading when I laugh out loud and then hopelessly try to explain what was so funny... I will miss the anticipation of your next tale, and will reread each one with fondness.

- AB

edit on 12-3-2015 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic will be forever remembered as the first books to ever truly make me laugh out loud and often so much that I had to put the book down for a minute.
Rincewind is quite possibly the best character ever written for a piece of comedy fiction.

We all have to go at some point and being surrounded by friends and family after a decent 70 odd year innings that brought so much joy and laughter to millions around the world is right up there with the best ways of doing so

While Im sad there will never be another Rincewind or Cohen book Im gonna look on the positive side and download pirated versions of all his books I dont have guilt free in honour of this great artists passing, I feel its what he would have wanted.

RIP and thanks for the laughs Terry

edit on 12/3/2015 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/3/2015 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

RIP you brilliant, funny man. Thank you for the laughter and delight at reading your books, I have every one.

He created an amazing world with such clever, believable characters. The Patrician has to be one of my favourites but there are so many to choose from, all with their unique temperaments. The only other comedy author I also love to read is Tom Sharpe, but I could never read either when trqavelling on the train because I couldn't control the laughter.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Sad day for readers. I fell in love with his work after reading Good Omens. Then met the Hogfather and Death. There was a movie made of Hogfather that we enjoyed a great deal. I will have to start reading all the Discworld books now.
edit on 3/12/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/12/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

RIP you brilliant, funny man. Thank you for the laughter and delight at reading your books, I have every one.

He created an amazing world with such clever, believable characters. The Patrician has to be one of my favourites but there are so many to choose from, all with their unique temperaments. The only other comedy author I also love to read is Tom Sharpe, but I could never read either when trqavelling on the train because I couldn't control the laughter.

I think the only other author in the genre that comes close to his talent is Robert Rankin, I just saw this post on his facebook page.

"I have just heard the heart-breaking news that my old friend Terry Pratchett has passed on. He was an enthusiastic supporter of my books back in the early days and gave me a great deal of valuable advice, although, regrettably I did not take much of it. We used to get into some glorious arguments after we'd had a few glasses of wine and shared a lot of laughs. He was a great man, I am proud that I knew him, the world has lost a wonderful talent. What a tragedy. Be at peace, Terry, we love you. I'm going to get drunk now."

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
really enjoyed his book, "unseen academicals". to me, it was monty python meets hogwarts! a great sense of humor married to a gift for writing it down. a sad loss.

god speed to him and prayers and comfort to his family.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
What a shame, great Guy and writer RIP Terry.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Rest in peace indeed!

First Spock, and now this. This is a bad year for heros.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join