It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large study concludes Homeopathy does not effectively treat any health condition

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

You said, quite clearly:

most of these studies are done by big pharma to discredit homeopathy.

Do you concede you are making this up or are you going to present evidence? It's not hard, study funding is transparent enough to provide evidence for your claims. I assumed you already had evidence as you are the one making the claim...?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

A 2010 review carefully analyzed more than 200 studies that included a placebo group along with a “no treatment” group. The reviewers found that placebo treatments don’t have major effects on illness, but in certain settings they appear to improve patient-reported outcomes – especially pain and nausea. Placebo effects on pain varied quite widely, from almost none to significant relief. These variations in the effect of placebo were partly explained by differences in how studies were conducted and what patients were told. The reviewers noted that it’s hard to tell if patient-reported effects were truly due to placebo effects or if they were just biased patient responses. Studies in which patients didn’t know they were getting a placebo showed the strongest placebo effects.

The bottom line is that placebos don’t cure. Sometimes they can make people feel better, but they can also make people feel worse. And placebo effects (along with other factors that can affect study outcomes) often make clinical trials that aren’t carefully designed come out with falsely positive results. This is one of many reasons why good study design, like having control groups that are set up to be very similar to the test groups, are so important in human studies.

Link

Are you aware of the massive body of evidence showing how effective placebo is?

Sources for your claim?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Grrrrr. And they have been deceiving us to believe that these vaccines work all along. Vaccines would be considered a homeopathy practice to build up immunity to something.

Not really. Vaccine technology is a "hack" based on a partial understanding of the human immune system. Vaccines overwhelm the developing immune systems of babies and trigger immune response to their own tissue, including meylin and brain tissue. Read more here

Food allergies, neurological syndromes and auto-immune syndromes have risen exponentially around the world in the last 30 years. Don't worry though, Pharma has pills for every new thing that crops up.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

Vaccines:

An inactive virus allows the body to develop an immune response to fight off an active version of the virus.

homeopathy:

Magic water "remembers" what was in it so the more diluted you go, the more powerful it is. You use an ingredient that causes the same symptoms you want to treat. Been bitten by a poisonous spider? Take a solution of magical snake venom (oil?).

See the difference?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
a reply to: Krazysh0t

gethyped want me to look up where the funding came from for 300 studies. I find it impossible to do it in a reasonable amount of time

If you really wanted to or believed what you are saying you could try to back it up.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
My wife took my son to a homeopath to help him concentrate at school. The homeopath gave him spider pills, ground up spider, in a sugar pill. Unless he gets spidermanlike abilities or develops a resistance to spiders, I fail to see the reasoning behind dried, ground up spiders for attention problems...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012
My wife took my son to a homeopath to help him concentrate at school. The homeopath gave him spider pills, ground up spider, in a sugar pill. Unless he gets spidermanlike abilities or develops a resistance to spiders, I fail to see the reasoning behind dried, ground up spiders for attention problems...

Naturally your son is supposed to grow 6 more eyes so that he can hyper focus on things. Duh!

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

My wife took my son to a homeopath to help him concentrate at school. The homeopath gave him spider pills, ground up spider, in a sugar pill.

Wow.

I am sure your son is a wonderful person but if I see him I may have to chase him away with a can of hairspray and a lighter.

link   

A 2010 review carefully analyzed more than 200 studies that included a placebo group along with a “no treatment” group. The reviewers found that placebo treatments don’t have major effects on illness, but in certain settings they appear to improve patient-reported outcomes – especially pain and nausea. Placebo effects on pain varied quite widely, from almost none to significant relief. These variations in the effect of placebo were partly explained by differences in how studies were conducted and what patients were told. The reviewers noted that it’s hard to tell if patient-reported effects were truly due to placebo effects or if they were just biased patient responses. Studies in which patients didn’t know they were getting a placebo showed the strongest placebo effects.

The bottom line is that placebos don’t cure. Sometimes they can make people feel better, but they can also make people feel worse. And placebo effects (along with other factors that can affect study outcomes) often make clinical trials that aren’t carefully designed come out with falsely positive results. This is one of many reasons why good study design, like having control groups that are set up to be very similar to the test groups, are so important in human studies.

Link

Are you aware of the massive body of evidence showing how effective placebo is?

Sources for your claim?

Thanks for providing the source for my assertion. You'll notice the interchangeability of synthetic drugs and placebo. If you'd like to back up your implication that any synthetic chemical "cures" something, I'll take a look.

The bottom line is that (placebos/synthetic drugs) don’t cure. Sometimes they can make people feel better, but they can also make people feel worse. And (placebos/synthetic drugs) effects (along with other factors that can affect study outcomes) often make clinical trials that aren’t carefully designed come out with falsely positive results. This is one of many reasons why good study design, like having control groups that are set up to be very similar to the test groups, are so important in human studies.

edit on 12-3-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Wrong! The key step is to hit the solution with a Bible 10 times. it's totes legit science and not magic, i swear!

link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

I've used Calendula ointments in the past and YES my abrasion did heal BUT it heals just the same and faster with Bacitracin the title of the thread says "Large study concludes Homeopathy does not effectively treat any health condition" EFFECTIVELY..that means it works sometimes but not enough to warrant a Thumbs up.

If you want to set your own parameters........

You should compare to not using anything if you want to see if it has any effectiveness. In my experience it is very effective for treating certain type of wounds and skin conditions.

What's wrong with having a choice of picking a more natural remedy that does in fact work very well instead of,

The widespread use of bacitracin, even for minor wounds where it is not useful, contributes to antibiotic resistance.[2][3] This widespread use has contributed to the emergence of MRSA bacteria,[4] specifically the highly lethal ST8:USA300 strain.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt
Thyme has some antimicrobial properties is enough to show that homeopathy works.

Except there are probably no molecules of thyme in a homeopathy solution....

Analogies Critics and advocates of homeopathy alike commonly attempt to illustrate the dilutions involved in homeopathy with analogies. The high dilutions characteristically used are often considered to be the most controversial and implausible aspect of homeopathy.
1 bottle of poison in Lake Geneva Hahnemann is reported[by whom?] to have joked that a suitable procedure to deal with an epidemic would be to empty a bottle of poison into Lake Geneva, if it could be shaken 60 times.
1 pinch of salt in the Atlantic Ocean One example given is that 12C solution is equivalent to a "pinch of salt in both the North and South Atlantic Oceans", which is approximately correct.[12]
1/3 of a drop in all the waters of the Earth One third of a drop of some original substance diluted into all the water on earth would produce a remedy with a concentration of about 13C.[13][14] Duck liver 200C in the entire observable Universe
A popular homeopathic treatment for the flu is a 200C dilution of duck liver, marketed under the name Oscillococcinum. As there are only about 1080 atoms in the entire observable universe, a dilution of one molecule in the observable universe would be about 40C. Oscillococcinum would thus require 10320 more universes to simply have one molecule in the final substance.[15]
Swimming pool Another illustration of dilutions used in common homeopathic remedies involves comparing a homeopathic dilution to dissolving the therapeutic substance in a swimming pool.[16][17] One example, inspired by a problem found in a set of popular algebra textbooks, states that there are on the order of 1032 molecules of water in an Olympic-size swimming pool[18] and if such a pool were filled with a 15C homeopathic remedy, to have a 63% chance of consuming at least one molecule of the original substance, one would need to swallow 1% of the volume of such a pool, or roughly 25 metric tons of water.[19][20][21]
30C: 1 ml in 1,191,016 cubic light years Yet another illustration: 1 ml of a solution which has gone through a 30C dilution is mathematically equivalent to 1 ml diluted into 1054 m3 - a cube of water measuring 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 (1018) metres per side, which is about 106 light years. When spherical, then it would be a ball of 131.1 light years in diameter. Thus, homeopathic remedies of standard potencies contain, almost certainly, only water (or alcohol, as well as sugar and other nontherapeutic ingredients).

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Of course, but I never even mentioned vaccines. (That's a whole different conversation...)

I was asking about immunotherapy, such as allergy shots where small doses of the specific allergen are introduced into the patient as a means to build up an immune response.

See the difference?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

That is very true. They now say that a tetnus shot can stimulate the body to fight brain cancer and maybe even other cancers by boosting the immune responses of the body. So people who already have autoimmune issues are having their immune systems stimulated even farther. I think they should think about these vaccines being good for all people a little, some people have hyperactive immune systems, you do not need to be irritating them more or supplying the body with foods that boost the immune system.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Trust me, when I found out what was in those "pills", I nearly threw them away! Disgusting creatures!

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: LogJammer

Well that was a compelling comeback.

Yes it works on different levels.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: jude11
True, but have you got any evidence that homeopathy does work and that it is all a big conspiracy by big pharma and the scientific community?
...or just playing Devils advocate with the possibility?

Actually, the only proof I would state (Well Documented) is Big Pharma in league with politicians, lobbyists, corps. etc that have consistently lied, manipulated studies and new drugs that have proven to be harmful to the point of harming and/or killing us with no repercussions or fines that don't take away profit but comes down to a cost of doing business.

If you make 40 billion and get fined 5 billion, that's a great business model for any company. (example)

So who wins if homeopathy remedies get banned/outlawed? Gotta follow the dollar.

Too many lies, too many times = No trust.

Peace

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'm sorry, did you just take a quote from a link where they went over 200 studies and add a word in there to "try" to make your point?!?!? LMAO!
Let me make my stance clear, as maybe you are agreeing with me and we are attacking this from two different sides.

Homeopathy=placebo=nothing.

Edit: Still waiting for your sources showing how "effective" placebos are...

edit on 12-3-2015 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: jude11

And you have evidence that this study is a fraud because...?

Enough ad hominems, let's see the evidence.

link   

Cool anecdote brother!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join