It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lasqueti Island: An Off The Grid Community

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I don't post in Survival much, but I figured this to be the most appropriate forum aside from Off The Grid which, apparently only Jesse Ventura can (still) start threads in.

But I digress. I was surprised when I didn't see anything come up about this in ATS Search (well, not that surprised). It seems like my kinda place, and I figured you all might be interested to hear about it.

Whether the inhabitants of this island are happy about the attention... well, they do have a sporadically updated website:

Lasqueti Island

But here's the article that lays it out:

No Electricity, No Money: Island Community a True Example of Off-Grid Living

Whether you want reduce your environmental impact or ditch city life, many of us dream of dropping off the grid and living off the land. Not many of can actually cut the cord, but on the small island of Lasqueti, about 400 residents are living out that dream.

The island lies about 50 miles northwest of Vancouver in the Strait of Georgia. To reach the remote locale, one can take a passenger-only ferry that comes two or three times a day, weather permitting of course.

At 12 miles long and 3 miles wide, Lasqueti’s about the same size and shape as Manhattan, but that’s about the only thing the islands have in common.

Residents aren’t connected to the province’s electric utility BC Hydro, so energy comes from solar, wind or hydro power, as well as fossil fuel generators. Some just do without electricity.

Yeah. Definitely my kinda place. Not far enough from a major city for my tastes, but at least it's an island.

And it sounds like most of the people there "get it":

Personally, I think this is the direction humanity must move if it is to avoid destroying itself and taking the planet with it. Not more technology, but less. Less dependence on the corporate state. Living in harmony with nature, developing your talents and taking pride in your work (is it even "work"?).

What, spend my days improving my own little enclave on the island, some gardening, a little maintenance, and in my spare time help others or just goof off?

Sign me up.

Oh, the best part:

With so much freedom, it comes as no surprise that money isn’t much of an issue. People grow their own food, barter with each other or go to the free store, a recycling center where people can pick up reusable clothing, books, appliances and household objects free of charge. The island also has an elementary school, volunteer firefighters, organic farms, a handful of B&B’s and one restaurant (that’s also a bakery and general store).

Wait. I jumped the gun. This is the best part:

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

One think I know about people from Lasqueti island is they likely aren't too stoked about all this internet chatter about their island. On a side not,... that should be a safe place to ride out the next big Cascadia subduction event.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mumbotron

One think I know about people from Lasqueti island is they likely aren't too stoked about all this internet chatter about their island.

Nor would I be.

Which is why I wouldn't have built a website and granted mini-documentaries to be filmed for the consumption of mass audiences.

If they're trying to keep it a secret... they're doing a pretty horrible job of it.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I hope it doesn't become a tourist trap. Like the Eagles said in their song Last Resort, if you call someplace paradise kiss it goodbye.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Good point, maybe things have changed around there. I know people who have lived there (grew up there) and the island had the reputation of being reclusive. I would still wager there's at least a couple hermits over there that are muttering over it if they even know about the internet.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I am in UK ... But have heard of this place whilst staying in the Gulf Islands off of Vancouver Island last year
Unfortunately never got to visit ...

Thanks for posting ...

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Sounds like the movie The Beach, with clique little hippies everywhere.

Cool way to live, it's unfortunate that the US has made this almost impossible everywhere with building codes and regulations.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Just to add ... Perhaps it is a good thing that this place is getting attention ... It is a living example of an alternative lifestyle in action ... Perhaps those interested in a such a way will follow their example ...

I too have lived in a fully self sufficient community ... On a remote Island in the Orkney Isles off of the North of Scotland ...
I do believe it is not a case of hiding from the world but setting an example ... A sense of community on a local level for me is the way forward ... Less reliance on technology is key but does not mean it should be discarded ... take what works and is beneficial and use ... but have the ability to live without it ... are my thoughts
edit on 12-3-2015 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Were I younger I would jump at the opportunity to at least try that lifestyle but I have difficulty imagining a life without books and the internet. Both my sons one being a nurse and the other a multi trade guy would probably be useful to a society like that but without the modern accoutrements I wonder if today it would appeal to them?

I do resent the derogatory way the word 'hippie' is used. Having been one along with the biker stage under my belt I would tell anyone it was a damn good time with a terrific amount of fun and experimentation. We were the kids born after the war from parents traumatised by that with their ideas of rules etc etc which we broke. Its a shame many of those who stereotype didn't experience it for themselves as they missed out

I hope the people on Lasqueti Island don't get a wave of mass immigration from the publicity although I expect they welcome people who are sincere.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
What a great place!

I think I will invade their unprepared selves and declare it my own. There's bound to be some resources I can make some money from once those lefties have gone home.[/jk]

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
These people don't mind a bit of attention. It's not as if you can just flock by the hundreds to the island. They have cute little hotels, and you can purchase gifts, or bring things to trade with. It's also not likely that you'd go there and be able to move in, barring having a relationship with someone on the island. I believe that have a vetting process of some sorts.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
Would they mind if say 500 people turned up on their island and wanted to live like them? That's a hundred more than them. Would they be belligerent? Would they call on the regional authorities to up hold their stance?
If 500 people turned up and said"we are going to live here" and "we will not be vetted". What would they say then?
Or is this exactly like a rich group in their gated community (any where in the world) whose sole answer is"you can look all you want but you can't touch" or "look at our great lifestyle but we wont let you join because" insert your own answer here like "your not one of us" or "you don't believe in our religion".

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
How would 500 people get to the island?

Im not an expert on their ideals. You'd likely have to ask them.

a reply to: crayzeed

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Interesting place. Seems that some there live off grid, but in luxury, and others don't. I have to wonder too, as one mentioned buying land, and another guy seems to have 10 acres, but came there with only a backpack and a mountain bike. How's that work?

One thing is for sure, winter there would SUCK the big one. I'm all for off-grid, but not anywhere it snows. There's a reason our ancestors feared the winter...a GOOD reason.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
Interesting place. Seems that some there live off grid, but in luxury, and others don't. I have to wonder too, as one mentioned buying land, and another guy seems to have 10 acres, but came there with only a backpack and a mountain bike. How's that work?

One thing is for sure, winter there would SUCK the big one. I'm all for off-grid, but not anywhere it snows. There's a reason our ancestors feared the winter...a GOOD reason.

That is disturbing ... that some live in luxury whilst others do not ... I trust you speak with knowledge

The community I was a member of was formed as a Trust ... In which no individual could profit ... Only the whole.
It comprised of several nationality's from all walks of life
On joining one gave up their money for the whole ... Some were rich others had virtually nothing ... I was one of the latter category ... Yet my like mindedness and sincerity and also skills were my ticket to joining

edit on 12-3-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The community members choose how they live and don't recieve judgment for it. A woman who has lived on the island for years is the islands "real estate agent". a reply to: artistpoet

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

That is disturbing ... that some live in luxury whilst others do not ... I trust you speak with knowledge

Just from watching the videos in this thread. It isn't free land or anything. It's part of British Columbia. They still have to buy their property, just that they can do what they want with it. So, some built green, off the grid nice homes (obviously with funds they had prior to coming to the island). Some built shacks.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Thanks for clarifying what you have Gazrok and Atsbhct

I was under the illusion that these people owned the Island and that it was a group collective

edit on 13-3-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   
There is something a tad disingenuous about the way the place is billed--a place where money is seemingly no object...

...but you do have to buy the real estate. An unfortunate irony, so frequently prevalent among communities with utopian (and I don't believe that is a bad word) ideals. However, this does serve as a good example (at least I think so) of the direction our mode of living must eventually go. It's a step in that direction, anyway.

Once the dust has settled from economic collapse and global warfare, that is. We would be wise not to repeat our mistakes and instead live responsibly, both with ourselves and our environment.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Some of the people on the island, likely those who bought in when the land was sub 10000 a plot or less, will offer newcomers who they like a chance to work for an acre of their land, or some other arrangement. I don't think it's super common, but it happens.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join