It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morning Joe, Bill Kristol Blame Racist SAE Video on Rap Music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

The concerned parents on Morning Joe found something to be outraged about over the video of SAE frat members engaged in a racist chant: namely the rapper Waka Flocka Flame’s decision not to perform for the fraternity, saying on CNN last night that he was “disgusted” by the video. (Waka Flocka Flame had performed for the frat the previous summer.) Co-host Mika Brzezinski thought Flame should take some responsibility, given that “'n-word'” appeared in his lyrics.

“If you look at every single song, I guess you call these, that he’s written, it’s a bunch of garbage,” Brzezinski said. “It’s full of n-words, it’s full of f-words. It’s wrong. And he shouldn’t be disgusted with them, he should be disgusted with himself.”

“Popular culture becomes a cesspool, a lot corporations profit off of it, and then people are surprised that some drunk 19-year-old kids repeat what they’ve been hearing,” said Bill Kristol. He added that Tipper Gore “tried to raise this issue, and was widely ridiculed,” referring to the parental advisory labels the future V-FLOTUS enacted after her daughter purchased Purple Rain thirty years ago.
www.mediaite.com...

Now I have heard the story couple days ago and the Uni moved swiftly and aggressively to address the issue and punish the Frat boys so in my view nothing to report or start a thread on, except when the above appeared on my news feed when I rolled outta bed this morning..like WTF??
Now I have never heard of Flocka Wacka and don't really care to, but to blame him for racist chants by a bunch of snotty nosed Frat boys drunk off their asses is disingenuous at best.

That he used Nigga in his lyrics is not the same as N.I.G.G.E.R and hanging them from trees or that they can't joined their stupid frat,his poor choice of wording was not even in the same context .smh.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

So since someone else does it, it is ok right?

They didn't hear what they said in any song by Waka, maybe a Johnny Rebel song.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Actually, I tend to be on the side of Morning Joe, for a change.

It seems to be perfectly ok that rap music, played loudly and often, contains the N word very regularly. White people can play rap music with no recourse at all, with the N word blaring over loud speakers for all to hear.

The minute that white people use the same language, they're expelled and demonized. It's a double standard.

Either the word is bad, or not. It can't be okay for one group but not for another. You can't have it both ways.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I agree, two wrongs don't make a right. If you listen to the video, the context in which the students use the N word is very racist in nature. I believe they said "there will never be a N***** in SAE"or something to that effect. Even though I believe the world would be a better place if everyone stopped using the word, it is different in its use than how rappers say it.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
Actually, I tend to be on the side of Morning Joe, for a change.

It seems to be perfectly ok that rap music, played loudly and often, contains the N word very regularly. White people can play rap music with no recourse at all, with the N word blaring over loud speakers for all to hear.

The minute that white people use the same language, they're expelled and demonized. It's a double standard.

Either the word is bad, or not. It can't be okay for one group but not for another. You can't have it both ways.

Context.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

With some people especially in media everything is to be split down the middle and called equal with shared responsibility or rather irresponsibility.
edit on 11-3-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: babybunnies

Like any word, the context of how it is used is what needs to be looked at.

What they said was clear and music is not to blame.

Also, not all rap music does what you are talking about, really only the mainstream stuff, as to why, that ks a whole other thread.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Yeah, blame it on the rapper...

Cowards.

Probably learned the word from these parents, and they're trying to shift the blame.

Another one of the frat members blamed "alcohol"...

But I've always heard people are more honest when they're drunk...

So maybe he is just pissed that the alcohol exposed his supremacist attitude.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Don't you people know racism doesn't exist.

Donald Sterling isn't racist he was quoting the Jay-Z song " don't be seen with black people"
And
Cliven Bundy isn't racist he was quoting the Tupac song " black people were better off under slavery"

Sarc of course

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Another one of the frat members blamed "alcohol"...

Guess they can blame that one on the song jamie Foxx did...

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

It's funny cos literally 5 minutes ago I was on Twitter and I saw a rapper tweet "on behalf of rap, we're sorry for the racism, that's our bad..."...

& now I know what they were talking about...

Unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
White racists everywhere - "Oh, a black rapper said the word, so it's okay now!"

"There will never be a n***** in SAE, hang 'em from a tree, they'll never sing with me..."

Who was that, Snoop? Tupac? Not Lil Wayne, don't tell me that was Lil Wayne.

Weak argument from conservative apologist.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
What a stupid argument. The kids were being racist, plain and simple.

A better argument would have been to blame gangsta rap (in part) for fueling the stereotype that makes these kids racist in the first place.

For example, its hard not to be racist when you're at a family oriented parade with your kids and a float full of black people rolls by blaring a song about cooking crack. "Bakin' soda..... I got bakin' soda".

edit on 12-3-2015 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
What a stupid argument. The kids were being racist, plain and simple.

A better argument would have been to blame gangsta rap (in part) for fueling the stereotype that makes these kids racist.

For example, its hard not to be racist when you're at a family oriented parade with your kids and a float full of black people rolls by blaring a song about cooking crack. "Bakin' soda..... I got bakin' soda".

Errr yes it would be hard for me to be racist despite a bus load of racist lil pricks willing to hang black kids from tress...why??.. for one I don't associate those racist retarded fwiths with my friends many of whom are white or some random white kid going about his business with their actions ,and even before gangsta rap the below songs existed.

This was a thing when Gansta Rap wasn't ...I'll never think of that friendly Icecream truck song quite the same way eveer!!

edit on 12-3-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

edit on 12-3-2015 by Bone75 because: What's the point. It is what it is.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

Here, let me start the process.

The song you just posted is despicable and I will never let my children listen to or repeat something like that.

Your turn.

But that's you but back in the day it was all fun and pretty standard and excuse me ,but we couldn't get caught listening Richard Pryor albums in our household on the pain of death, and my kids I screened and monitor their entertainment for as long as I could so I am with you on that note.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I am not defending the actions of the SAE members because it was stupid, but I don't really like the way people can have their entire life derailed for merely drunk singing words. It isn't like they actually were out in public intimidating people. They were on their own bus getting drunk and stupid. Words should not be a reason to expel someone at least in this case.

Again, what they did was stupid, moronic, whatever, but the punishment for drunk singing stupid crap was a little harsh imo.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I am not defending the actions of the SAE members because it was stupid, but I don't really like the way people can have their entire life derailed for merely drunk singing words. It isn't like they actually were out in public intimidating people. They were on their own bus getting drunk and stupid. Words should not be a reason to expel someone at least in this case.

Again, what they did was stupid, moronic, whatever, but the punishment for drunk singing stupid crap was a little harsh imo.

True and I hope they regretted their actions in a meaningful way, but these kids are probably more tech savvy than you or I they did this in private knowing that just about everyone was recording or have the ability to record this, such is social media and morons, and they are young they'll have the ability to bounce back.

new topics

top topics

join