It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 men in custody after ex-correction officer shoots a man during rush hour argument

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Police are questioning two men after ex-correctional guard fatally shot a man during rush hour argument

Two men are being questioned by police after a retired corrections officer fatally shot a 32-year-old man at a Brooklyn subway station following an argument during rush hour, authorities said.

Gilbert Drogheo, from Harlem, was rushed to hospital after being shot on the mezzanine section of the Borough Hall station at 6.30pm on Tuesday but later passed away in hospital.

Two other men, Drogheo's 29-year-old friend and the retired corrections officer, who is 69, were taken into custody on Tuesday night and were being questioned on Wednesday, police said.

A cell phone video obtained by CBS New York revealed the moment the officer allegedly shot and fatally wounded Drogheo.

Police told the New York Times that the argument began when the ex-officer, who was armed with a 9-millimeter handgun, stepped between the two friends as they had a conversation on the train.

The clash turned physical and one of the younger men spit on the ex-officer, police told the Times.

Another witness told the New York Daily News he overheard one of the assailants use a racial slur in addressing the older man, telling him: 'I got you now, my n*****.'

'[The older man] said, "I'm not your n*****, I'm not your boy,”' the witness told the paper.

The station PIX11 also reported that two young men were acting ‘belligerent’ on their Brooklyn bound 5 train.

When the train reached the platform at Borough Station in Downtown Brooklyn, the three men separated.

But in footage captured by a witness and shared with CBS2, the older man can be seen walking up stairs from the platform to the mezzanine level before encountering one of the younger men.

The two exchange words and the older man apparently pushes the younger man, the video shows. Just seconds later, a shot is heard.

Drogheo was shot in the torso. Other images captured by witnesses and shared with NBC show a man on the ground.

He was rushed to Brooklyn Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead.

A couple of things. I hope he has a CCW permit for his weapon. I am glad he stuck around and didn't just take off. Very "stand up of him" I will say. I'll be curious as to what made him fire his weapon and why he felt the "need" to fire his weapon. Because he's a past correctional guard, are the police going to write this off as a "good job"? Or will they truly investigate this like they really should? I'll be curious to see where this goes.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I was having an argument yesterday with a drunken man who used to be a boxer. When he stepped towards me with his fists clenched, I gave him a mighty shove in the chest which sent him stumbling back on his arse, and told him if he wanted to bunch his fists up with me to come back when he was sober. In the USA he'd be a dead man.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Was Zimmerman there?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: IvanAstikov
I was having an argument yesterday with a drunken man who used to be a boxer. When he stepped towards me with his fists clenched, I gave him a mighty shove in the chest which sent him stumbling back on his arse, and told him if he wanted to bunch his fists up with me to come back when he was sober. In the USA he'd be a dead man.
What a coincidence.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

The guy was a prison guard. I think they are adding the "police" angle to this for publicity. It's not the same thing.
I am sure it will be investigated.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

My incident happened as described. I'm not that fussed whether you believe it or not. The only coincidence is that a recent event I experienced had a relevance to a post made on a messageboard.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

My incident happened as described. I'm not that fussed whether you believe it or not. The only coincidence is that a recent event I experienced had a relevance to a post made on a messageboard.

So you're saying that if you lived in the US you would have shot that guy instead of assaulting him? Just asking.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

So you're saying that if you lived in the US you would have shot that guy instead of assaulting him? Just asking.

Hey, this is America. That's the law. If you're attacked, you get to defend yourself in whatever manner makes you happy. Sometimes shooting an unarmed man is perfectly acceptable per society.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hmm, not enough info to figure out what happened..ie who was the aggressor. My 1st thought though was this is how natural selection works..bad actors should not be here to drag the rest of us down. Hard to say here..looks like the shooter was the one pushing and shoving and no info as to whether any one else was armed..im not seeing a life or death struggle here.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

An armed society is a polite society. With more and more people carrying, you can't just be stepping to someone trying to act all tough anymore. Best to say, excuse me, sorry, my bad, and just go on about your business. not worth arguging with someone who may or may not be armed. Sooner or later, these young hot heads will learn.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Do better than to just subscribe to the hyperbole that is the apparent international opinion of people in the U.S. There are fights everyday in this country--it is extremely rare that someone pulls out a gun, let alone kills someone with it.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

originally posted by: Bilk22

Hey, this is America. That's the law. If you're attacked, you get to defend yourself in whatever manner makes you happy. Sometimes shooting an unarmed man is perfectly acceptable per society.

Not if you had the opportunity to leave the scene and avoid confrontation. You don't get to claim "self defense" in what is nothing more than an argument, just because you "feel threatened".

And no, it's not acceptable. Self defense should be justifiable, not disproportionate.

This is the core problem with many Americans, you've devalued life so much that you really do think ending someone else's entire existence over a spat is somehow "justified".

America is no longer the wild west, and people who love guns so much need to get this through their thick skulls. Your right to "defend yourself" does not extend to murder.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Some people don't think it's murder as long as they have a "genuine fear of imminent harm." What they mean is, "That's the argument I'm going to use and I'm going to stick to it."

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Sooner or later, these young hot heads will learn.

I know i learned, to start carrying.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

They aren't the people we are concerned about. It's those who think they shouldn't have to wait to see if they get hit with a blow from a fist or anything else, they just reach for a gun and start shoooting, then swear blind they thought the now dead person was reaching for a weapon.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shakawkaw

Sooner or later, these young hot heads will learn.

I know i learned, to start carrying.

A lot of people around here have started getting CCW permits, particularly your older and more mature guys. All these youngsters who think they are getting points for talking loud and beating their chest trying to fight someone over some BS are finding out the hard way that some folks are too old to get into a scuffle. Your azz just gets shot.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

See, you can't even read people right and you want to kill them. Like dogs, the men who make the most noise and do the most posturing, tend to be the least dangerous. If you had pissed me off, I'd be chatting to you all mealy-mouthed, then just bang you out and take your gun off you.

ps. What do you consider "too old"?

edit on 11-3-2015 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

An armed society is a polite society. With more and more people carrying, you can't just be stepping to someone trying to act all tough anymore. Best to say, excuse me, sorry, my bad, and just go on about your business. not worth arguging with someone who may or may not be armed. Sooner or later, these young hot heads will learn.

No it is a society that lives in fear of one another. So the answer is if people are rude or say something..it is best not to say anything back out of fear...yeah that's the life I want for myself

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

The bottom line is that you are taking your life into your own hands if you want to get loud and belligerent with a stranger these days. In the OPs case, who knows who was in the right or wrong. But when you start talking shizz to strangers and running up on someone like you are going to beat their azz, you are liable to get shot.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

See now, who's talking about "loud and belligerent" other than you? Not everybody who is a dangerous threat is going to give you a handy warning to give you time to get your firearm out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join