It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah votes to bring Firing Squad back for death penalty; claims more humane than lethal injection

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I just wanted to interject a bit of info:
In states where there are multiple options for execution, the prisoner is able to choose which method they prefer.
Washington state has the last operational gallows in the US, and death by hanging has often been the chosen method of execution by modern prisoners in that state.

Death by firing squad, odd as this may sound, is probably considered among prisoners as a noble way to go. They would be hooded and also there's none of the messiness that injections can cause, especially if it goes wrong.

I'm on the fence about the death penalty myself, mostly because there are so many people exonerated after death due to convictions based on bad evidence.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
If a death sentence was a genuine deterrent, it'd only need to be carried out once. If you are starting to get squeamish about the effects one particular method of execution is producing, perhaps it's time to reconsider the whole idea, rather than seek a more "humane" method.
edit on 11-3-2015 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: FireflyStars

I'm on the fence about the death penalty myself, mostly because there are so many people exonerated after death due to convictions based on bad evidence.

Below is a classic and recent case of someone being exonerated . One would imagine if this woman had been anything but white her innocence would not have come to light .

www.9news.com.au...

Having spent more than 30 years in prison after being convicted of murder, an American woman has been freed after recently discovered DNA evidence overturned her conviction.

Cathy Woods, 64, was imprisoned in 1980 for the 1976 stabbing death of 19-year-old Michelle Mitchell, who was killed on the outskirts of the University of Nevada campus in Reno.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Good way to bring in shooting people, tell em its more haumane. Must remember that line.

I wonder if they will use volunteers, wonder how long will the waiting list will be to be able to find out what it's like to shoot someone, just thinking aloud .....

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I dont agree with the death penalty, i wouldnt want to live next door to a member of this firing squad, a cold blooded muderer, God knows what it would do to their minds.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

You'd have to be a particularly hard-hearted person to live with such a responsibility and the constant fear of reprisals.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: IvanAstikov
If a death sentence was a genuine deterrent, it'd only need to be carried out once. If you are starting to get squeamish about the effects one particular method of execution is producing, perhaps it's time to reconsider the whole idea, rather than seek a more "humane" method.

You see!! When this argument is properly presented exactly half of the reason to execute people evaporates. The revenge half ... not so much so.

I personally view a life sentence as a death sentence, which means I'm not fully into sentencing someone to life either. Time changes people. The conditions you live in make that time special. If the conditions were right, people wouldn't be prone to adopting the label habitual offender. Put somebody in a hole for twenty years on bread and water ... and you really don't need to punish them anymore than that. It's really about satisfying the need for vengeance when you go all out.

The military used to put people on bread and water for using foul language in public. Your mom and dad's bar of soap couldn't hold a candle to 30 days in the clink under those conditions. And ... that was non-judicial punishment, so you got to keep most of your rank. Charlie's Chicken Farm straightened out a lot of young men who weren't raised right.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: IvanAstikov

I don't see the death sentence as a deterrent. But I'm fine with it in some parts. Leaving someone to rot in a box isn't humane. But that's what life sentence is, sure you get more then the basics but you are left there to as many say to "pay for your crimes" also know as suffering. Yet this is counted as the humane option.

I think we need to get a lot of the money out of the jailing system. I'd like to see if someone commits a crime so bad they are given a life sentence they are already counted on deaths row. But if they can find someone to fund them they can keep living till the funds run out. That way get the tax dollars out of the life sentence and back on to the one that still have a chance at getting out, to turn their life around for the better. The ones in a life sentence with no option for parole, they're never going to add anything to the rest of humanity besides the damage they have caused. This has already been determined by the justice system, by giving them such a strong sentence.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I am in total favor of firing squads. At least it is 100% effective. I wish it was still possible for a judge to issue a death sentence and it be carried out the following morning. Lawyers of mucked up the system. Automatic appeals are just wrong IMO.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

The United States was the only country in the Americas to carry out executions in 2014. The United States carries out more executions than any other liberal democracy (as defined by Freedom House) in the world. The only other country in the Americas which practices capital punishment is St. Kitts & Nevis.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

interesting map of countries that still use death penalties in the above link.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Death Penalty IS murder one. Premeditated vengeance. And absolutely do not believe in it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join