It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Sponsored Bill to Kill Internet Neutrality...Again

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
You didn't really think the war for a free internet was over did you??? Of course not. ATS members are much too aware of things to believe that, right??

So we have H.R.4070 - Internet Freedom Act which is the Rights next assault on removing Internet Neutrality and handing power over to the Telecoms. With what is another Orwellian Double Speak name as "Internet Freedom Act" you can bet that it's anything but.

The legislation would invalidate rules instituted by the FCC last week that declared the Internet a public utility and disallowed telecoms from forcibly slowing or blocking Web traffic to competitors, or separating the Web into artificial, cable package-like tiers for lower-paying users. The bill was brought to the House floor by Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) and 30 Republican colleagues.

The Daily Beast

Republicans’ “Internet Freedom Act” would wipe out net neutrality

Anyone else besides me sick to death of the Right bullying and blaming their way into getting their way???

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Good?

Hell, even Netflix is changing their tune now.

Surprise, the FCC will go way farther than ANYONE wants them to if they allow it.

www.wsj.com...
Netflix Recants on Obamanet

David Wells, chief financial officer of Netflix , said last week at the annual Morgan Stanley Technology, Media and Telecom Conference. He disclosed that Netflix, one of the few companies that advocated the most extreme form of Internet regulation, had lobbyist’s remorse only a week after the Federal Communications Commission voted to replace the open Internet with Obamanet.

“Were we pleased it pushed to Title II?” Mr. Wells said to investors. “Probably not. We were hoping there might be a nonregulated solution.”

Title II is the part of the Communications Act of 1934 that bureaucrats used to exert near-total control over the AT&T telephone monopoly. The FCC recently did President Obama’s bidding by voting to impose that micromanagement on the Internet. The FCC will decide what prices and other terms online are “just and reasonable.” The agency added a new “general conduct” catchall provision giving itself oversight of Internet content and business models.

edit on 10-3-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The fact that they keep trying to pass this with so many different bills and from so many different angles goes to show they care nothing about what we the people want. They've failed every time so far, you'd think they'd learn their lesson by now. They're bound and determined to restrict the internet, I have a feeling they'll pass it sooner or later. The name of this bill is the biggest load of crap I've ever seen too, it's like calling prisons "Freedom Institutions", they're trying to fool people who don't read the bill into accepting it.

Bunch of con artists all of them.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Good?
Hell, even Netflix is changing their tune now.

No. I know what you're talking about and they didn't change their mind at all. All that was said is that it would have been best if none of this had to happen at all but since that was no longer an option FCC Regulation was the best option we had.

Surprise, the FCC will go way farther than ANYONE wants them to if they allow it.

First, that is just speculation unless you'd like to back that up with actual evidence.

Second, I keep hearing people say that and as of yet I've seen nothing at all to back up those claims other than paranoia about "Don't trust the Government". Which I don't by the way, but I trust the Corp. Telecoms. even less in this matter.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
they will never stop and they will never surrender. Just like we should never stop and never surrender.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
This looks like paid folks earning their money...

Doubt this will pass, just a move to appease the folks with the cash..

Sad thing, what they want, will be an amendment to some other bill in the future, and pass because that bill's name/intention has popular support...

Same game.... same corrupt elected.....

My opinion... YMMV

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The republican party is a train wreck on crack, it boggles the mind to think that millions of people made a conscious effort to put these clowns in charge. constant repetitive lawsuits, treason, conspiracies, government shutdowns etc ....they just don't seem to know when to throw in the towel.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Put it all out there.

From Ars Technica:

In the latest election cycle, Blackburn received $25,000 from an AT&T political action committee (PAC), $20,000 from a Comcast PAC, $20,000 from a cable industry association PAC, and $15,000 from a Verizon PAC, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

From Daily Beast:

“The Internet Freedom Act” is a House bill intended to destroy newly instituted Net Neutrality rights. And of the bill's 31 co-sponsors, all but two of them received money from a major telecom or its lobby in 2014 alone.

The 29 co-sponsors received over $800,000 from AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and their lobby, the National Cable and Telecommunications Association (NCTA).

Rep. John Shimkus (R-IL) received $81,500 in contributions from Internet service providers and their lobby in 2014. Brett Guthrie (R-KY) also took in $59,000 and Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) received $51,500

The title of the bill shows exactly how stupid the GOP thinks (knows?) many voters are.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Speculation.... Like you fools promoting Obamacare believed the hype and lies?

I rest my case.

edit on 10-3-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

I rest my case.

LOL. What case is that exactly??? You're not even talking about the correct topic yet.

Why not look at the evidence rather than going with the fear propaganda. You've shown no evidence of anything and so far the claims you've made have been wrong. So what else ya got??

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Whatever happened to Internet v2? Wasn't that supposed to have almost unlimited speed? If yes ... then why was any of this a concern? Were the big corps going to own v2?

I have the same reservation infolurker expressed. Big Brother got his foot in the door.

I have the same view as m0j0m. I was tired of the crushing oppression of the major service providers.

Here's one for everyone. Why is it my standard Internet service in Korea ten times better than the best you can hope to get in America?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

You assume he supported Obamacare, how do you know that? Lol. So by your logic anyone and everyone who stands against this bill automatically supported Obamacare? Pretty broad brush you're painting with my friend. I support neither personally, in fact I question most bills that are presented before Congress. There's most likely an agenda behind them.

Politicians follow the money, they create bills to make their donors happy. Same with Obamacare and this bill.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

"Were we pleased it pushed to Title II?" Mr. Wells said to investors. "Probably not. We were hoping there might be a nonregulated solution."

That's "recanting?" That's "changing their tune?" I realize that propaganda is by its very nature full of hyperbole but this is nothing but sheer invention born of desperation. Of all of the individuals, organizations and corporations that expressed support to the FCC enacting regulations in defense of Net Neutrality, this is what the conservatives have latched onto to blast in the echo chamber? A single comment which has been entirely removed from context and distorted with misleading headlines and suggestive commentary to give the impression that it's a RECANTATION?

Speaks volumes about how insubstantial and disingenuous this fake flip-flop narrative is.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Those are all great points and questions. What did happen to Internet 2???

I too have those same reservations about the Gov. being in control. I don't like it either but that was the best of two choices at the time and so far it's fine. Not because the Gov. is good but because there was big money opposed to the Telecoms as well.

BTW 3NL1GHT3N3D1, I didn't support Obamacare. I like that you are paying attention and the way you countered that false blanket accusation!!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Ah so your support of the bill is based on blind partisanship? Why should anyone take what you say seriously when it's obvious that you care far less about the issue at hand than you do about being a dutiful political cheerleader?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Is there anything new about this bill?

It was introduced over a year ago.

No actions since.

The new House would have to look again right?

Is it in a new Committee yet?

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

scratch...see below...
edit on 11-3-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Wait, scratch that I'm wrong about being wrong.

Blackburn Reintroduces Legislation to Block FCC’s Net Neutrality Rules

Congressman Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) has reintroduced legislation to block the Obama Administration’s efforts to take over the Internet by implementing new Net Neutrality regulations. H.R. 1212, the Internet Freedom Act, would block the FCC’s Net Neutrality rules by stating that they shall have no force or effect and prohibits the FCC from reissuing new Net Neutrality rules.

So change that to H.R. 1212. Sorry about the confusion.
edit on 11-3-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Are you talking about Internet2 or the transition to IPv6?

The transition to IPv6 is occurring but it's not one of those things that could be achieved overnight. Lots of existing hardware and OSes that only support IPv4 have to be phased out. At this point, approximately 94% of Internet traffic is still IPv4.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

There we go.

it's HR 1212 now.

and it's "in committee"

HR 1212

thanks..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join