It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD cops badly beaten by suspects during arrest

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Two cops patrolling a crime-ridden Brooklyn housing project were badly beaten by a group of men they tried to handcuff in a stairwell, police said. The attack happened as the unidentified housing cops were searching for a robbery suspect who was believed to be hiding in one of the buildings at the Marlboro Houses along West Eighth Street in Gravesend around 12:30 a.m. Sunday, authorities said. The police officers encountered the men hanging out in the stairwell near the third floor, authorities said. When the cops ordered the group to get up against a wall and attempted to cuff them, the men started beating the cops, who were quickly overpowered, sources said. The officers were repeatedly punched and kicked before the suspects ran off and left the beaten cops in the stairwell. One of the cops suffered head and neck injuries and his partner suffered a shoulder injury, authorities said. But even with their injuries, the officers managed to call for backup, and within minutes, a team of police officers were spread out through the building, hunting the assailants. Police soon arrested four suspects, who were identified as William Rivera Sr., 46, and his son William Rivera Jr., 26, Noel Gonzalez-Colon, 28, and David Rivera, 44. They were all charged with assault on a police officer, gang assault and resisting arrest. Rivera Jr. was additionally charged with robbery. “These brave officers were set upon by a group of thugs who have seriously assaulted police officers and attempted to take their weapons in the past,” said PBA president Patrick Lynch.

New York Post

Are we seeing cops that are afraid to shoot suspects because they will be crucified in the press if they do?
I am not a cop lover, but if I were one of these cops, they would have needed bodybags for those guys.

We may be seeing more dead cops if they are afraid to protect themselves due to public outcry, and we may see more criminals get even more brazen about hurting/killing cops.
This doesn't look good to me.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Are we seeing cops that are afraid to shoot suspects because they will be crucified in the press if they do?
I am not a cop lover, but if I were one of these cops, they would have needed bodybags for those guys.

A wise man learns from other's mistakes. A fool, learns from his own.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Consistency is the key here if you want Joe public to have his or her faith restored in a corrupt law-enforcement system.

And by consistent I mean standing down the gang of youths on full government benefits until public-funded lawyers can make a case to get them off scott free and make the public pay for the whole exercise.

Good for the goose, good for the gander.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Cops are not afraid to kill people, more then likely in their arrogance they just assumed those people would be deathly afraid of them like a lot of other people and got lazy and paid the price. The people issuing the beating are not to be praised however the actions of the few police have consequences for them all, people are losing respect and faith in the police departments across America I am surprised this doesn't happen more often.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Police officers, as these, should hand their guns & badges in so we can see how this world will fall apart, thanks to bad cops and all those who hate/dislike ALL cops.

When we choose to stand up against authority, no matter if they're good or evil, we will end up the shortest.

Most do not agree. I'd rather zip it, and wait for that big wheel to turn.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

" a fool learns from his own".

Huh??? Perhaps I am reading this wrong...no coffee yet, but a fool doesn't learn from his own mistakes.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Maybe those cops were just smart enough to realize that shooting 4 "suspects" dead in stairwell probably wouldn't be the best idea in the world. Granted what these guys did was totally out of line and they deserve a punishment, but I don't think that a bullet to head is the punishment that fits the crime, even if they were cops. What they did was incredibly stupid and brazen and they'll all go to jail for what they did.

Plus the building was locked down and all of the men were arrested. Would it have been better if they were all four men were shot dead for resisting being put in handcuffs & fighting? I don't think so.

Did the officers not have tasers on them? Seems more like ineffective police procedure that allowed the 4 men to get over on the officers. Not every cop has to be Judge Dredd and be judge, jury and executioner in the streets. Even if the law is broken. The penalty for resisting arrest and assaulting an officer isn't death though I'm sure some wish it were.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: CallmeRaskolnikov
Did the officers not have tasers on them?

Do you even know how a taser works? How do two people taze four people in a close-quarters, violent situation?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Not a chance IMO.

Most Cops don't care about the repercussions because there are none except a lot of paid leave and a slap on the wrist.

Why didn't they use their guns? My thoughts are that they didn't get the chance.

Peace

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov
I see young men that are willing to assault armed police officers as also being capable and possibly willing to take an officer's life.
I would have shot them, rather than they have further opportunity to take my weapon and kill me with it.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

The attack happened as the unidentified housing cops were searching for a robbery suspect who was believed to be hiding in one of the buildings at the Marlboro Houses

What the hell are "housing cops"?

Are they like security wannabes? If so, maybe they were unarmed(?) I guess and got what they deserved then, maybe.

Roundups for questioning by weekend warriors at housing projects because they looked suspicious or whatever…

I'd maybe reprisal that bs, too. Or at least understand their oppressed response. Abuse is probably endemic there like some other 'Fergy' place I heard of.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Just a story of thugs beating up thugs.

Bad guy beats up bad guy so ultimately I don't care.

And while i think the attacking burglars belong in prison, so do most of the police
edit on 3343Tuesday432015-03-10T08:43:33-05:004333 3 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Notice no race is mentioned for the cops or the perps. Can't even write black or white anymore for fear of repercussions?
We have crossed a dangerous line. LEOs can't arrest and protect, citizens aren't feeling safe against LEOs excessive force and wrongful arrests. THis is frightening.

I feel people have taken the words of those who protest against racism as a ticket to do whatever the hell they want. The color of your skin does not give you license for helter-skelter, nor does it make you untouchable to the repercussions of your lawless actions. This holds true for both sides of the law. If you are a cop and have issues of grandeur, get over it, or get a new job. You don't deserve the shield. If you are a thug who disrespect others out of sheer whim...guess what, your ass belongs behind bars no matter what color it is!!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I see young men that are willing to assault armed police officers as also being capable and possibly willing to take an officer's life.
I would have shot them, rather than they have further opportunity to take my weapon and kill me with it.

What I see are 4 guys who were probably afraid of being beaten badly, or shot to death, so they attacked the cops in an effort to get away. Maybe that's the truth, maybe it isn't.

But with the police state nowadays, wouldn't you say it's a warranted fear??

Hell, a cop just moved in nearby my apartment. I don't know where in my building he is, but his car is right outside. My wife and I like to play around a lot, and when we do, it sounds like domestic violence. I'll chase her around the house, she'll scream, we'll tackle each other, and laugh. But for many who can barely hear through walls, we joke that it probably sounds like real domestic violence. Yes, we're weird people. XD

With the story of a kid getting shot in the face, because a cop heard a commotion and forced his way into an apartment, it makes me wonder if I need to worry about the same thing. It hasn't stopped us from playing, but the concern is there.

Now the guys in the article were in the wrong, they didn't have to resort to violence, and I'm glad they got caught. But with the many news articles going around, on top of where they live, and what they've lived through, I can't say I truly blame them.

Then with people claiming if it was them, they would have shot the guys only really adds to their decision.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

So if you were cop, you would just shoot everyone that gave you a startle?

Your whole OP is promoting more authority and force by police because a couple of cops picked on the wrong boys and had their arses handed to them.

Maybe if police were properly trained instead of taking steroids, they would be better respected.

Police should start an MMA fight team. Maybe people would show them more respect. Promote them as societies most capable fighters. Nobody respects a guy that can't fight but still walks around like a tough guy with a gun and a bullet proof vest.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

I doubt they got the right guys. They probably grabbed the first 4 black guys they could find wearing jeans and a puffy coat to take their rage out on. It is too embarrassing for the police to have suspects that beat up cops on the loose.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

They are New York City Police officers assigned to cover housing projects. They are similar to Transit Police which mostly work the subway system.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

So do unto others before they can do unto you? Kill them all and let God sort em out???

In this paradigm, everyone is guilty and no one is safe.... especially from those who we hire and pay to keep us safe.... putting anyone and everyone in fight-or-flight mode. Not because they feel guilty about anything. But because they are in fear for their lives... and rightfully so. That only creates a vicious circle fed by fear on everyone's part.

Best way I can think of to put a target on every police officer's back. How does that serve anyone's best interests -- officer or civilian?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: CallmeRaskolnikov
Did the officers not have tasers on them?

Do you even know how a taser works? How do two people taze four people in a close-quarters, violent situation?

do i know how a taser works? seriously? that's your response...

maybe if they dropped two of them with tasers it would have made the situation easier to handle by disabling and temporarily paralyzing 2 out of the 4 people. I'm not pretending to know what the best approach to this debacle should have been. I'm just tossing out alternatives to executing four people in an apartment building before they've had their day in court.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The attack happened as the unidentified housing cops were searching for a robbery suspect who was believed to be hiding in one of the buildings at the Marlboro Houses

Are they like security wannabes? If so, maybe they were unarmed(?) I guess and got what they deserved then, maybe.

Roundups for questioning by weekend warriors at housing projects because they looked suspicious or whatever…

I'd maybe reprisal that bs, too. Or at least understand their oppressed response. Abuse is probably endemic there like some other 'Fergy' place I heard of.

Apparently housing cops are armed.
forums.officer.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join