It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A list of occult practices. Can you add to the list?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Like I mentioned in the OP - I intentionally left out the main religions because I did not want a religious debate over religion.

This isn't a religious thread or a thread about religion?

The disconnect is in the distinction you propose between your religion and all the others which you group as occult.

Thats the primary danger associated with the 'only one god' precept. Which is at the root of most of the worlds problems today. This idea lends to exceptionalism, the notion that our beliefs are better than others (even the best) and that others must submit to the 'higher' authority.

We begin bombing in five minutes.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Oa reply to: DeathSlayer

Worshipping the dead is worshipping the dead. Self righteous much?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

well said you took the words right out of my mouth

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Oh my, you must not have read the whole story.

He arose from the dead. That's why we celebrate Easter.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

If so, then according to the Christian faith that holds the bible as the word of God you are NOT a Christian.
I have to disagree with you because Christians are warned and told not to practice such things .If "they" being Christians are told those things then it does not make them not Christian ....peace

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
I decided to make a list of practices that fulfil the basic definition of occult:

The occult (from the Latin word occultus "clandestine, hidden, secret") is "knowledge of the hidden”. In common English usage, occult refers to "knowledge of the paranormal", as opposed to "knowledge of the measurable", usually referred to as science. The term is sometimes taken to mean knowledge that "is meant only for certain people" or that "must be kept hidden", but for most practicing occultists it is simply the study of a deeper spiritual reality that extends beyond pure reason and the physical sciences. The terms esoteric and arcane have very similar meanings, and in most contexts the three terms are interchangeable.

It also describes a number of magical organizations or orders, the teachings and practices taught by them, and to a large body of current and historical literature and spiritual philosophy related to this subject.

Out-of-body experience
Hypnosis
Ouija Board
Bloody Mary
Spells and curses
Mental telepathy/control
Automatic writing
Trances
Spirit guides
Fortune telling/divination
Tarot Cards
Levitation
Witchcraft/wicca/sorcery
Satanism
Palm reading
Astrology/horoscopes
Astral projections
Seances/mediums/channlers
Black magic
White magic
Blood pacts
Fetishism/crystals/charms
Sexual spirits
Martial arts (mysticism)
Superstitions
Mormonism (LDS)
Jehovah Witnesses
New Age teachings
Masons (all secret societies)
Christian Science
Unification church (Moonies)
The Forum (EST)
Church of Scientology
Unitarianism/Universalism
Silva Mind Control
Transcendental Meditation (TM)
Yoga (religion not the exercise)
Hare Krishna
Bahaism
Native American spirit worship
Rosicrucianism

For those of the Christian faith - We have been instructed by our God to not participate in any occult practice. He did not explain why….. he simply commanded it to be so. Do you practice any of the above? If so, then according to the Christian faith that holds the bible as the word of God you are NOT a Christian. I would recommend you research the practice and consider stopping ASAP .

So true Christians do not practice the occult. It is possible I can answer why practicing any occult art is forbidden. First, you are conjuring spirits for communication and guidance. This is forbidden according to the bible. One of the reasons for God wanting to destroy all human life (when the Watchers became sexually attracted to the human females). They then taught the humans forbidden secrets that were not to be shared to humans. (At least not at that time) Second, these spirits will harm you and attach themselves to you; making you a familiar.

Occult practices have become a part of our daily lives. We are reminded in the New Testament as a warning - to test the spirit to see where it comes from.

If you are not aware of the above arts mentioned, please research them on the internet. You will get a better explanation that the one I will probably give.

There will probably be some who will disagree with the above list and I would like to hear from you as to exactly why you disagree. Please be specific and if possible do not use general terms. Before responding please remember that occult has a hidden meaning or agenda.

I decided to leave out many different types of religions and sects. I don’t need the entire ATS board attacking me at once. BUT religion is a BIG issue within the occult. I just did not want to start a religious debate.

Are you aware of other types of occult practices? If so please add on to the list.

Hi there I am not sure you fully understand what the general modern day definition of "Occult" really is.

I appriciate the effort you have put into your thread but your list seems to be a list of various religions some vauge and often repeated spiritual practices and a few alternative medical practices.

It seems that you have tried to list anything that could be deemed un Christian, was that your intent?
edit on 10/3/2015 by nonspecific because: spelling

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

We have been instructed by our God to not participate in any occult practice. He did not explain why….. he simply commanded it to be so.

I hesitated posting this but I am concerned why "believers" would take a huge list of rules from the old testament and simply stop doing them without any clear indication that the law was done away with (i.e. the prohibition not to mix two different types of clothing together) and yet will take a generic prohibition about "magic" (or the "occult" as suggested here) and add a huge list to it of things that weren't specified at all in the original and say "we are commanded not to do these things." Furthermore, if one takes the logic that some rules (like not mixing two forms of clothing together) can suddenly be done away with without explanation, how is it that this one remains? Again, there are tons of rules believers were commanded to do or not do in the law that the modern church has arbitrarily decided no longer make sense. Now to take an unclear prohibition about something like magic in the Bible and add a huge list of things it must include and then tell people God forbids us to do all these things seems arbitrary. Who's making the rules?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

also you might like to have a watch in this series www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
So anything that doesn't fit into your narrow view of accepted religious practices is "occult". I have found other such lists online that also name feminism and racial equality as "occult" practices. This is all subjective, judgmental and, in my opinion, very unbecoming of a true person of faith.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
There is no evidence to support that belief. a reply to: crappiekat

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
There is no evidence to support that belief. a reply to: crappiekat

No evidence to support that he died either.
Some say that there is no evidence that he existed.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Christianity itself IS pagan, and therefore occultic. It is an amalgamation of other cultural and religious beliefs and practices that came before it. Everything Christianity condemns, it practices daily.

edit on 3/10/2015 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It doesn't matter. How to behave towards other is the message.

The message, not the man.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

You left out all the worlds religions. Religion, as in organized religious practice is occultic. Occult stems from cult. All religions are cults.

Except yours, right?

I notice Protestant was left off that list.

Because everyone not an evangelical Bible thumper is an occultist, Duh.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Lets not forget the pagan practices of the Christian Church like the Celebration of Christmas and Easter. And to the Christians, look up the history and foundation of these "Christian Celebration Rituals". The roots are Pagan, occult worship with a Christian Face on them. So, if you are participating in these Celebrations, then you too are "dabbling in the Occult".

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Occult simply means hidden.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Another thread that illustrates the ignorance and intolerance of some fellow Christians... what a shame.

Funny how some Christians don't realize that the apostles were cleromancers. Not to mention the OT Hebrews.

Get a clue, fundies.

👣

edit on 630TuesdayuAmerica/ChicagoMaruTuesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Okay, that was hilarious and if I could give you more stars, I sure would. I wish I had said that!
You clearly get it.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: butcherguy

It doesn't matter. How to behave towards other is the message.

The message, not the man.

Oh, I know.
I am just pointing out that it is difficult to blame people for worshiping a dead man when the man is not proven to exist, much less be dead.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Hmmm, my list would be more akin to something like this...

The Akasha Records
Anomoulous Cognition
Astral Travel
The Astral Body
Auras
Automatic Writing
Barnum Effect
Bilocation
Animal Psychism
Cosmotheism
Decision Augmentation Theory
Deja Vu
Empathic Ability
Faith Healing
Hallucination
Ideokinesis
Intuitive Healers
Mediums
Out of Body Experiences
Meditation
Mind over Matter
Glossolalia (Speaking in Tongues)
Vivid Dreaming
Prophecy
Philosophy
Telekinesis
Pyrokinesis
Reincarnation
Remote Viewing
Apportation
The After lIfe
Alchemy
Ancient Beliefs
Aliens
Alien Abuction
The Wee Folk
Giants
Angels & Demons
Ghosts
Ancient Astronauts
Dragons
Mermaids
Aromatherapy
Tarot
Runes
Candle Magick
Crystal Energy
Ritual
Palmistry
Ouija Boards
Channeling
Astrology
Shamanism
Witchcraft
Ghost Stories
Haunted Places
Haunted Artifacts
Werewolves
Vampires
Atlantis
Ball Lighting
The Bermuda Triange
Crop Circles
The Tunguska Event
Shroud of Turin
The Taos Hum
Unidentified Flying Objects
The Bimini Road
Lemuria
The Lochness Monster
Bigfoot
Pyramids
The Voynich Manuscript
Easter Island
Teotihuacan
Chupacabra
Tesla's Forbidden Inventions
Petroglyphs
The Nazca Lines
The Sumerian Texts
The Dropa Stones
Peruvian Skulls
Crystal Skulls
Out of Time Artifacts
Time Travel
Time Slips
Giant Skeletons
Stonehenge
Mars Anomolies
Alien Skulls of Paracas

And the list really does go on and on and on...

CdT

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join