It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'Cloud' - Apple

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I'm surprised nobody ever questions it..

What is the 'The Cloud'?

'The Cloud' is basically a server owned by Apple, where everyone is encouraged to download all of their most personal information and contacts.

One is encouraged so strongly - that basically, your device does not operate properly without it. When you first set up your iPhone, or iTunes (which is what is used to back up all your iOS devices) your are asked to register, and they do not even offer an option to opt out. The only way to opt out is not through an option, but to cancel out of the registration.

I am one of those few people who have refused to sign up with "The Cloud" and basically when I use my phone, almost every other moment I am asked to "sign in" with a pop up window. I guess for most people, they eventually get frustrated with all of the messages to sign in that they eventually give in.

---

But anyway, think about it, having all of the contacts, memos, and appointments *the most personal information* for a good chunk of the population of this world. And the chunk that matters - the ones who are doing things, and make things run; prime ministers, etc. What more is there to know. It is a level of surveillance George Orwell could not have imagined which goes into the minds of the people.

With the combination of Facebook, Apple's 'Cloud', satellite video, telephone and text conversation recording centers, and cellular phones with GPS data, there is nothing more Big Brother needs to know.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Here, store all of your info on my hard drive, I will keep it safe! Wink, wink!

Yeah, I have never used, nor will I ever use the "cloud" for anything.

I have to wonder who the genius was whom developed this. I wonder if it's another typical hostile marketing ploy, or something a little more evil.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I haven't backed up my phone to the cloud in 22 months. The phone makes it a point to let me know.

DOWN WITH THE CLOUD!
ONWARD TO FREEDOM!
edit on 10-3-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   
It's called " iCloud" on apple devices.
You don't really need to enable iCloud there's options to use it with some apps, not all. It's so you can sync across devises.

When you start up your iPhone the first time you can opt not to enable iCloud.

Of course it's intrusive and collecting data helping to connect the dots. But you don't need to connect every app you have to it. There's no need to have photo stream enabled unless you are into wasting space with duplicates of every photo. Some people like its uses though.

Just be careful to look through settings on what you are enabling

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   
There are many versions of 'Cloud' storage in addition to Apple's iCloud, it facilitates vast storage outside devices, which makes for a more streamlined solution than all devices carrying all their own storage.

Large companies also utilise cloud storage for their data as it makes sense.

A few years ago I worked for a Microsoft owned company selling cloud storage to large companies, it is the way forward in the data age. The data has to be stored somewhere.

Source

edit on 10-3-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

How much is the NSA paying you! Stop promoting your digital mark of the beast that is TEH CLOUD!!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Funny.

Though it isn't any less secure than device based storage. Just easier to access vast data at once.

Just ask Ed Snowden.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
When you purchase from Apple in TYOOL 2015 you deserve to have your personal info hacked.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Once more this all comes down to free will and choice.

No one has to use these things, people decide to.

Is ignorance an excuse? Maybe not. Take for example the hacking of personal photo collections of famous people last year... which most would agree that hacking and releasing those photos is criminal and a massive invasion of privacy, aren't those victims also incredibly naive? I mean, it's like complaining that you've been robbed when you left all your doors and windows open, it was a criminal act (and no one can seriously attempt to defend the criminals in these instances), but the victim showed incredible naiveté in the first place, they should get at least some criticism for not thinking.

I don't use iCloud, and never will. I have no use for it. But I do think this is where things are inevitably going.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Simply don't put anything on the cloud that you don't want the world to see. If its private then don't put it on a cloud enabled device. If you have an Apple device that requires you to use the cloud then the solution is simple, sell it and buy a device from a different company that does not.

Personally I hate the cloud not only for the blatant lack of privacy involved, but for the fact that when everything is using it, which seems to be the current trend with information, art and media being more and more digitally distributed, all it would take is some event like a big natural disaster, major war, or someone declaring themselves god and turning it off, and we are back to the dark ages.

I think we should always keep offline, local, and if possible, hard copies of anything and everything to avoid or minimise the impact the removal of the cloud would have.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

The problem isn't storing your data in the "cloud". The problem is the lack of end-to-end encryption, storing your data unencrypted, or storing your data when someone else also has a key to decrypt it.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
No cloud for me either.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

A few years ago I worked for a Microsoft owned company selling cloud storage to large companies, it is the way forward in the data age. The data has to be stored somewhere.

There is nothing new about it, except for the word - "Cloud". No new technology whatsoever. It is a server on a network, used to store data.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

I'm not talking about hacking, or data not being secure.

I'm talking about a secret black government that has *all access* to the data, because it is designed that way (to give them access); no hacking is required, like they do with Facebook, or with the massive data centers that record every telephone conversation and text. Think they don't exist? I would not be surprised at all if Apple's systems were incorporated into their 'intelligence' gathering systems.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   

I never said it was new, I said it was the way forward and I know how it works.

new topics

top topics

join