It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U of Oklahoma frat investigated after video of ‘Never be a n****r SAE’ sing-along goes viral

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

The University of Oklahoma is investigating one of their on-campus fraternities after a video of members of the frat singing a racist song was posted online and went viral.

According to Tulsa World, the national president of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity said Sunday evening that the OU SAE chapter has been given an immediate cease and desist order just hours after the video appeared online.

In the brief video, posted on Twitter by a group of black students called OU_Unheard, the frat brothers can be heard singing and clapping along to a song with the repeated lyrics of “There will never be a n****r SAE,” along with a line about lynching, “You can hang them from a tree (inaudible)”.

uh oh....

How could the "Greeks" not know that this would find it's way onto social media and their racism be discovered?
SAE will pay dearly as will the attention this will bring on all the "Greeks" nation wide, it should! Racism is dumb but bragging about it is uberdumb!!

www.youtube.com...

Any fraternity or Sorority people on ATS? What do you think?
edit on 9-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Haven't you heard? Racism doesn't exist. It's all just something the left-wing liberal media makes up so that Al Sharpton can make money he won't pay taxes on.

Sarcasm aside, the responses by the school's President and the national fraternity have been commendably immediate and decisive.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Haven't you heard? Racism doesn't exist. It's all just something the left-wing liberal media makes up so that Al Sharpton can make money he won't pay taxes on.

Sarcasm aside, the responses by the school's President and the national fraternity have been commendably immediate and decisive.

Actually MAN MADE RACISM exist but not BIOLOGICAL RACES/RACISM. Scientist will tell you its stricly a man made creation after they reviwed the evidenced back in the 60s and since at various times.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
IMHO the Greek system should be done away with as the bastion of bad behavior it is.

OTOH, we hear worse from rappers who make millions singing about rape, violence, murder, misogyny, and racism. I've heard rhetoric just as bad from campus minority groups, just directed in the opposite direction, with nary a peep.

Do kids go to university to learn anymore or is it really just an extension of highschool social drama at this point?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Interesting..when the left uses the argument, "well so and so did it too"..it is considered invalid from the right.

Yet they turn around and use the same argument when it attempts to justify "their" argument.

How many of those so called minorities chanting "kill whitey" or whatever have been captured on cam?

edit on 9-3-2015 by Onslaught2996 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
a reply to: NavyDoc

Interesting..when the left uses the argument, "well so and so did it too"..it is considered invalid from the right.

Yet they turn around and use the same argument when it attempts to justify "their" argument.

How many of those so called minorities chanting "kill whitey" or whatever have been captured on cam?

I don't follow.

Violent rappers make music videos. It certainly is captured on camera.

I think both sets of bad behavior are not appropriate and I opined that the Greeks should be done away with as all they seem to do is bad behavior. Seems like an even handed approach to me--censure bad behavior from everyone, regardless what skin color they have.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

How do you know this is "right wing" ?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Ou banned the frat and expelled the students involved is what a friend that graduated from ou told me.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Racism will always exist. Tolerance for it won't. Sounds like they were punished accordingly.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Agreed. Thought they dropped the hammer on these buffoons and hopefully they will be expelled.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It doesn't stop to amaze me how racism works in the US, yes I am a Hispanic minority so I am going to play devils advocate here.

To begin with the fraternity members that allowed the video to go viral were really no very smart.

Second, it is me but it seems that racism in our nation seems to be one side most of the time,

Why? because we have publicly named "black colleges" and "negro college funds" right? and that is not racist, but lo and behold name a college "white college" and that is racist and we will no have an end to it in the news.

So, what is the difference here, I still don't get it, beside the frat students video been dumb and stupid.

edit on 9-3-2015 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Came in this thread just to witness the awesome mental gymnastics to justify a chant like this

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The Greek Frat/Sorority system....providing you the best friends that money can buy.

Not a fan of frats, personally.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Well ain't this some ish...

As a Brit, I wouldn't deign to claim first-hand experience on how these Greek organisations operate, but having lent an ear to many who have (either through experience with alums or happen to be alums themselves), I'd hazard a guess that SAE aren't particularly ashamed by the display - just that it was filmed and went viral.

We have our unofficial semi-equivalents across the pond, of course, like the Bullingdon Club. It's fairly well-represented in Parliament, unsurprisingly.

I'm dubious about how isolated such incidents are. Moreover, considering the external social influence among the most successful alumni of these types of societies, well... I'll leave it at that; I have a multitude of thoughts on the matter but it's a sensitive topic.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The point about Racist scumbag's like these ill mannered little idiot's is Daddy will make it all OK so we can do what we want, the same here in Britain, Same idiot's the world over, I swear they are a different race but definitely not superior as a superior race would help others not climb up on top of there suffering and use oppression and idiocy as a tool.

Look these kid's are the future so what does that say about the future.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
a reply to: olaru12

Look these kid's are the future so what does that say about the future.

It does seem that the elitist, fratboys, wealthy, usually conservative, can afford the time to pursue a career in politics; the rest of us need to work for a living; as I had to work my way thru University and couldn't afford to join a Fraternity even if I had wanted to.

It certainly adds a new dimension as to why things are so ****** up!
edit on 9-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Not really important to the discussion but I watched the video several times earlier and there appeared to be girls in party dresses on the bus as well. So my guess is it might have been someone's date who didn't like it, caught it on camera and leaked it rather than one of of the idiot frat brothers.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'm honestly surprised that, in the age of smart phones, it took this long to expose. They all sang along, with zeal, so they have obviously sang a few rounds of the chorus before.

I bet we start seeing a lot more footage come out of other Greek organizations.

Also, in it's nature, this isn't much different than the emails out of Ferguson....and all of those involved (who actually have authority and a position of public trust) are still employed but these dumb-ass kids are facing disciplinary action or expulsion and their chapter disbanded. Not to mention Donald Sterling was forced to sell his basketball team after his remarks.

Someone in Ferguson better start writing pink slips.
edit on 3/9/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

From what I've been reading people are reporting that this has been a popular song in this frat for a long time throughout the country.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Why is this news? Seriously, are there not more important things happening in the world than the antics of some racist dumbass kid.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join