It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2015 Best routers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Time for me to get a new router. Whats your experience with 2015 routers ,likes ,dislikes, reliability .

Must have:
1. Detachable antennas : Capabilities to add external omni and or directional antenna to get signal about a quarter to half mile away.

2. Reliable streaming work horse: able to handle 1080p streaming from internal LAN media server for at at least 3 devices at one time.

3. Guest network separate from internal network.

4. N + band

5. 5 ghz

6. USB port.

nicessities :
1. AC band

2. compatible with either one of these: gargoyle ,DD-WRT , OpenWrt , Tomato

3. VPN access

4. Internal cloud hosted on personal server or NAS not subscription based.

5. USB 3.0 port

6. Not linksys,dlink, and netgear

7. Handle 4k streaming within internal network.

So far I'm looking at the following.

1. TP-LINK-Archer-C8 : $114.99
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425912365&sr=1-1&keywords=tp+link+c8

2. TP-LINK-Archer-C9 : $150.68
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425912365&sr=1-2&keywords=tp+link+c8

3. ASUS (RT-AC68U): $184.37
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1425912623&sr=1-2&keywords=asus+rout er

4. TP-LINK TL-WDR3500 : $41.99
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425912715&sr=1-6&keywords=tp+link

For the price the TL-WDR3500 looks appealing and worth a try. I see a lot of good experience with TP-LINK but I have never personally had one? Has anyone used them before?
edit on 01331America/ChicagoMon, 09 Mar 2015 10:01:18 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I personally own #3 on your list, the ASUS RT-AC68U.

I've been very happy with it's performance and features. The customization is super easy if done via the web-interface, allows me to monitor my network traffic in real time, set priorities based on either type of traffic or by device, NAS is super fun and easy to use, and the router hasn't had a single hiccup in nearly 6 months of ownership.

I also like that I can view a network map, see attached or connected devices, and if something happens to pop onto my network that I didn't approve, easily restrict that NIC's MAC Address from connecting in the future.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Great thanks for the info. I know someone who has the 66U last years model and is also happy with it.

The Asus was on top of my list but the $41 TL-WDR3500 keeps getting my attention. I'm thinking of getting the TL-WDR3500 first and if it doesn't work out than use it for my RV and get the Asus.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

If you have the money to drop on the ASUS router, I'd highly recommend it. You won't be disappointed.

If you're looking to save some money I understand though.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I'm shopping for a new router too, but my old Dlink has been a very reliable workhorse for years, so I'm just curious why you excluded Dlink?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

The only thing I can say objectively about D-Link is their router OS is poorly built as a whole. The interface is too sparse and sometimes difficult to navigate.

The hardware is usually solid, D-Link has been in the home-networking for a while now and know how to built a solid router.

My only complaint is with the software.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Don't buy anything from TPlink.

Seriously.

Just don't.

Get a Cisco. Any of the new models that retail in the 150 to 200 range will give you everything you need. Get a dual band as well and you then don't need the detachable antennae. You use the 2.4 for devices further away and the 5 for devices closer.

ETA2: Something along the lines of this.

ETA:#3, I just noticed you said not Linksys, but that was prior to them being bought by Cisco. They're actually very reliable these days.

~Tenth
edit on 3/9/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Alternatively, if you have an old box sitting around, you might consider throwing pfSense on it and then buy something less expensive that's used strictly as an AP.

I've been really happy with the plenum rated PoE D-Link APs (various) and also the managed switches but not so much with the consumer "routers."

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

You think so? If anything Linksys seems worse than before.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

You think so? If anything Linksys seems worse than before.

I use two Linksys in my home as AP's only, and they work fantastic. Range is good, signal quality is very high and very little RFI even with probably 30 or 40 wireless devices connected.

I've had Netgear, Trebnet, Dlink and all other sorts of routers in the past and I find either straight Cisco or Cisco Lynksis to be the best outcomes. I also run a gaming server out of my house so it all starts at the switch I have, but regardless in a house that's about 3400 square feet on 3 floors I've yet to have any issues with the Linksys AP's.

~Tenth
edit on 3/9/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Using the TP link with DD-WRT is a good system.
They are cheap, and you have to know they aren't a lifetime product, but for a bit until new tech comes along, they are a good alternative to spending $.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I was a Linksys/Cisco fangirl for the longest time.

I've always been a fan of Asus consumer computer hardware, so when I saw they had built an AC wireless router, I decided "What the heck" and took the plunge. I'm so happy I did.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I had dlink router and AP which kept dropping signal.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Asus has come a VERY long way as a company. All of their hardware used to be TERRIBLE. Paper thin motherboards and such.

Since about...2011, I've bought quite a few laptops from them among other things and have been very impressed.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Using the TP link with DD-WRT is a good system.
They are cheap, and you have to know they aren't a lifetime product, but for a bit until new tech comes along, they are a good alternative to spending $.

Yeah. I like the asus but I only really have one AC device most my other are N and 5 ghz devices [rasberry pi 2, roku 3, hd fire tv , tables, pc ,phones, smart tvs ....]

So I'm not sure if its worth paying the extra money for a tech that i'm not ready to use.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

You can still use the 2.4 band with any of your devices. Wireless N or G will still connect to it. It's just broadcasting at two different wave lengths to help solve the distance and RFI problems, as well as congestion for multiple connected devices in the home.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Yeah Asus had some pretty shoddy work in the past, I guess saying I was "Always" a fan isn't exactly true. Until about 2005 I was more into MSi for Motherboards.

Asus certainly has come a long way, and I think their foray into networking has been a rousing success.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Yeah, Asus pissed me off for a while but they look like they are making good products again.

Although I bought the ASUS N550JK when it first came out swapped the HD for SS and its great, with the exception of the touch pad. I knew people were complaining about it but decided to buy it anyways because I prefer using a mouse. However , the few times I do use the touchpad I curse Asus, it really sucks.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I'm an especially large fan of their monitors. Certainly not top-tier products by any means but they're affordable and well-made.
edit on 9-3-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

You can still use the 2.4 band with any of your devices. Wireless N or G will still connect to it. It's just broadcasting at two different wave lengths to help solve the distance and RFI problems, as well as congestion for multiple connected devices in the home.

~Tenth

Yeah I understand that, but the more sensible side of me says why pay the extra if you are not going to use it. The one AC laptop I have I really don't need AC speeds and I can connect via ether at my desk if I need high speed.

BTW , what TP link model did you have that made you want to put TP on the do not buy list? Online I have been seeing positive reviews for the most part. Amazon has mostly positive reviews on it, but in reality who knows if they are fake or real reviews.

I have two Amazon Firetv boxes that I use primarily for xbmc\kodi which is great for that. However, for a netflix and Amazon prime tv streaming box its really not that great and my other 2 roku 3 and smart tv interfaces are much better. Yet it has a bunch of positive reviews which is puzzling to me if they are not fake reviews, especially if anyone leaves a negative comment on the device they will get attacked by AFT fanboys.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join