It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Florida, officials ban term 'climate change'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

The sheer amount of land ice in the arctic is also mind boggling, enough so that melt water does affect sea levels. Also, something else to think about, water expands as it warms.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

What did climate scientists predict that turned out wrong?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I wonder how many of these people used these things as a platform to run for their office and now say that you can't use these words anymore?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I wonder why so many of the intelligent and out of the box thinking members here find it difficult to understand the difference between something manufactured by politicians as an excuse for taxes, with politicians seizing anything and everything they can and using it as an excuse to create taxes.

And as for why predictions change, that's science. Constantly analysing and revising, anything else would actually be suspicious but it's an easy mistake for anyone who doesn't understand to make I guess.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: mc_squared
No, your memory does not serve you correct.

The reason memes like this exist though is because of baseless comments like yours, building these strawmen about what "the Al Goreites" said, with no source or proof of course, and then posting it on the internet so the next gullible parrot can just pick it up and pass it along too (e.g. see the very next comment below yours).

Or, it's because Al Gore says things like this. Granted, he prefaced it with an if-this or if-that, but his scare tactic is what remains in the viewer's memory because it's based on emotional fear rather that tangible fact.

I would argue that it's your claims that Al Gore did not state or infer that this was going to happen is what's gullible parroting. Well, it's not really me saying that, it's the source of proof from the leader's mouth stating it.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

America, Everyone. Where people deny Climate Change SO HARD that they ban the very mention of it.
edit on 9-3-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: speeling

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: johnwick

What 'known' scientific facts have you pointed out in this thread?

All I have read from you is a bunch of word play and elementary school debate tactics. No science, no data to back up anything you have claimed. You are essentially disrupting the flow of conversation in this thread. Your rant about how this is the same as(a bunch of arbitrary stuff that you made up) is pure malarkey.(a reply to: johnwick) I can give some parallels about how this(the censoring of science by Florida's governor) is consistent with actions that Nazi Germany took to control their propaganda machine.

Never in human history have we seen CO2 levels this high. This spike of CO2 we are currently observing is also an anomaly in terms of the geological record.

I wouldn't be expecting a meaningful response from Johnwick any time soon.

I've been waiting waiting for him to provide some proof supporting his statements in another thread since 7:00 p.m. last night.

Apparently, just him saying it is going to have to be proof enough.

It certainly proves "something" to me.

Anyone who doesn't think climate change is real might need to watch the latest episode of VICE. I think it's entitled "Our Rising Oceans."

The documentary also shows us where people like Johnwick get their "proof" from.

edit on 9-3-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Or, it's because Al Gore says things like this. Granted, he prefaced it with an if-this or if-that, but his scare tactic is what remains in the viewer's memory because it's based on emotional fear rather that tangible fact.

So what I take from that is you guys are pissed because you have bad memories, poor comprehension skills and it scared you.

I would argue that it's your claims that Al Gore did not state or infer that this was going to happen is what's gullible parroting. Well, it's not really me saying that, it's the source of proof from the leader's mouth stating it.

I watched the clip you posted and thought it was easy to understand. Maybe he didn't dumb it down enough for everyone.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

If the Department of Environmental Protection in Florida didn't believe in the science, there would be no need to "ban" anything. The fact that they've ordered officials not to use those phrases indicates to me that they definitely DO believe in the science, but want to fool the people into thinking that they have nothing to be concerned about, to avoid panic, the sell-off of waterfront properties, reduced tourism income and fewer people retiring there.

The MONEY is in denial of climate change. And Republicans are most definitely into waging war on science, not just for this reason, but because science contradicts many religious beliefs.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3

That is exactly what those who deny climate change or doing, then they flip the table and accuse those who actually study this stuff of the exact thing they are guilty of.

Here is what I notice about these threads, those who believe in climate change have a plethora of data to support their claims as well as siding on the overwhelming consensus of the experts in the study of climate and atmosphere chemistry.

Those who oppose the notion of climate change do not bring any valid data, they trend to turn this into a debate using less than honest debate tactics, they cite known pseudo-science claims, the make strawman, and then resort to calling the whole concept of man-made climate change nothing but a scam designed to raise taxes. As if the politicions could not find a plethora of 'think of the children' arguments to induce the emotional response to pass more taxes.

It appears that so many of us simply do not care about future generations on this planet.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

It's the same tactics Big Tobacco employed when people began to learn that smoking was on the whole, bad for you.

Discredit, Deny, Delay, etc.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

It appears that so many of us simply do not care about future generations on this planet.

To be perfectly honest, I don't have kids, so I don't really care about future generations on this planet, either. Once my husband and I are gone (which isn't terribly far off now), no one left will be of interest to me. I feel sorry for people who will have to go through what's to come. It's not going to be pretty.

But that has nothing to do with being able to think critically and understand and SEE the science that points to man-made climate change and our ability (and refusal) to do something about it. I don't understand people who deny something when it's right in their face, but I've been on ATS long enough to know that it happens and I'm never going to fully understand it.

I have looked up every Al Gore "quote" I've seen from deniers and found them to be totally inaccurate. Al Gore is their scape goat, but they have to lie about what he has said to make their point, so that says a lot. People are too eager to believe what they want to believe, without facts to back it up.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

America, Everyone. Where people deny Climate Change SO HARD that they ban the very mention of it.

Only in America do we ban something that doesn't exist yet (Florida isn't flooded), while simultaneously spending trillions on a war against 'Terror'.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

That is exactly what those who deny climate change or doing, then they flip the table and accuse those who actually study this stuff of the exact thing they are guilty of.

Funny you mention that. In the latest episode of VICE, they take the viewers to two different conferences on climate change.

The first is hosted by the U.N., where they are revealing the current impact climate change is having around the world and exploring avenues to combat it on a global scale.

The second one is held in Las Vegas and hosted by various corporate entities like Exxon Mobile and the Koch brothers, (just to name a few) and their purpose is to teach climate change deniers how to argue against the scientific evidence.

They even tell the conferees that they can be sure that their opposition is lying because they keep repeating the same phrases in support of their positions.

The ironic part is, they do it while standing in front of a big screen presentation that has a list of phrases for climate deniers to use in their arguments denying climate change. Go figure!

Talk about the "pot calling the kettle black."

Here is what I notice about these threads, those who believe in climate change have a plethora of data to support their claims as well as siding on the overwhelming consensus of the experts in the study of climate and atmosphere chemistry.

Those who oppose the notion of climate change do not bring any valid data, they trend to turn this into a debate using less than honest debate tactics, they cite known pseudo-science claims, the make strawman, and then resort to calling the whole concept of man-made climate change nothing but a scam designed to raise taxes. As if the politicions could not find a plethora of 'think of the children' arguments to induce the emotional response to pass more taxes.

Quite right! The willful ignorance being displayed by these people is both dangerous and scary.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Are you saying Climate Change isn't real yet? Because that's patently false. The only issue I think even worth debating is not whether Climate Change is indeed happening, but whether Human actions are contributing in a meaningful way.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Are you saying Climate Change isn't real yet?

Is florida underwater?

The only issue I think even worth debating is not whether Climate Change is indeed happening, but whether Human actions are contributing in a meaningful way.

They are. The only issue thats real right now is pollution of the environment and depletion of resources. But the corporations who sponsor that want you to think about… flooding as a distraction.

Whose side are you on?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

So because Florida isn't under water yet, Climate Change isn't happening.

So that's not real either?

Which side am I on? I figured that was apparent. I assert Climate Change is real. I am still on the fence as to whether humans are contributing in a significant way, but I do not deny that it is happening at all.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

So because Florida isn't under water yet, Climate Change isn't happening.

Hyperbole jumping off…

Thread is about Florida banning the term because those in charge are so damn tired of hearing about 'Floridas gonna flood', lol. I don't live there, but I get it… the Sky isn't falling.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Ah, I must have misinterpreted your post then. I sincerely apologize. I don't agree with Florida banning the term. It's sticking one's head in the proverbial (or perhaps literal, if one is on the beaches) sand. Banning the term is in effect declaring "nothing is happening, move along. Everything's fine".

And while Florida may not be in immediate danger of being reclaimed by Poseidon, insisting it's not happening is doing nobody any favors, except for maybe the board of Tourism.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Damn Florida. First they vote in Obama twice and now this climate change nonsense. Idiots!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join