It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goldfish-swallowing Briton banned from owning fish

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
I like people thinking about animal cruelty and morality. But before making laws, it would help to see those thoughts completed.

On a side note: it floors me that fishing for food is somewhat limited in the UK.

Sea fishing is ok for private purposes, river fishing is limited to a certain amount of fish per day.

You also need a rod licence and have to pay to fish on the river.

We even have limits on the weight of mushrooms we can pick in a day.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

there are limits on catch an on size for most game fish (they need to be bigger than a certain size, dependant on species). i live so far from an ocean that i have no clue what any laws are there.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

there are limits on catch an on size for most game fish (they need to be bigger than a certain size, dependant on species). i live so far from an ocean that i have no clue what any laws are there.

It's not the size it's the number we are limited to but I fear we are going off topic and you know what the mods are like round here...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Gee, someone needs to clue the proper authorities that boats are leaving harbors in the UK and using huge nets to catch thousands of fish at a time.
Worse yet, these fiends are getting paid to do it.
The fish die.... and people eat them! OMG! Why has the Ministry of Kindness to Fish let this horror continue? Are they being paid off?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Its about causing unnecessary cruelty to an animal which is against the law here.
Like I said he was made an example of.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

As a Floridian we have limits on many fish here as well. Some have to be big enough and with Red fish they can't be too big.

We do not have any laws about how we must treat our bait.
edit on 8-3-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Ok, what about oysters they are eaten alive. What could be decent punisment for oyster eating... poor fellows get attacked by our acid system.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Not If you eat them the right way, open em up put in mouth chew then swallow.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: butcherguy

Its about causing unnecessary cruelty to an animal which is against the law here.
Like I said he was made an example of.

I guess we will have to ask the fish which is more fun, slowly being suffocated in a net... or taking a dip in stomach acid.
It isn't really about the fish, it is about what some people find emotionally distressing.
If it was about the fish, you Brita would ban fishing altogether.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

a reply to: dollukka

Not If you eat them the right way, open em up put in mouth chew then swallow.

We cook mussels live as well, not even boiling water just straight into a pan of hot butter, garlic and shallots. A splash of wine and let the poor little buggers cook live in there own juices.

We even make sure there alive before we cook them by banging there head on the work surface.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Yeah and you can't kill shellfish then eat them later otherwise you get poorly.
Shellfish have to be cooked alive.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I have frozen clams for months before cooking them. I didn't get sick so whats up with that?

Actually I still have some in the floor freezer so seriously.

Whats up?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

and it is humane to kill a lobster like that kills it instantly.

No its not . Instantly my ass .
you're meant to have the water boiling before putting the lobster in...
my grandmother made the mistake once of putting the lobbys in then putting the stove on. The result was unnerving.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I have frozen clams for months before cooking them. I didn't get sick so whats up with that?

Actually I still have some in the floor freezer so seriously.

Whats up?

Maybe your as tough as your avatar.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
So for those in the UK, do the "eat a live animal" challenge on youtube.
Make a youtube vid, make it all sensational titled "Watch me eat a living animal for fun", even have a buildup, then voila, suck down a oyster.

That should have the authorities scratching their head and perhaps make people reconsider the stance since it makes little sense overall.

For those with a iron stomach, you can use some from this list here:
Live animals that are eaten
maggots..
-voms

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

You put them in alive? thats ok..the freezing kills it but also slows down the bacteria from growing.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

So are you saying I was lucky or maybe the alcohol killed it?

If it is really a hazard I will simply go fishing with what I still have.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

a reply to: Grimpachi

You put them in alive? thats ok..the freezing kills it but also slows down the bacteria from growing.

Yeah I froze them alive.

Phew... I was getting a little worried there.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

and it is humane to kill a lobster like that kills it instantly.

I am sorry but it doesnt . Below is the way to do it humanely . Sorry cant link but its from the southern rock lobster fisherman website .

Chill the Rocklobster in the freezer between -8ºC and -28ºC or 17.6ºF and 18.4ºF for 30 minutes or until insensible.
Holding the Rocklobster across the back, place it on a chopping board and using a very sharp fine knife pierce it between the eyes to ensure a quick and humane kill.

As someone who regularly catches blue swimmer crabs i can vouch for the fact that boiling water is by no means instant .Dropping them into boiling water causes roughly half of them to drop their claws for instance . Still tasty though . I think i just convinced myself to go crabbing next weekend .

Soon this

Becomes this

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Can somebody do me a favour iam tucjed up in bed on my phone and can't alert the mods to the judgement day thread.
Alerts don't work on me phone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join