It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Clock Moves Closer to Midnight!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I feel sorry for the people who have to report this nonsense every time someone arbitrarily decides things are looking bad. This. Means. Nothing. The rest of thread? Pretty cool, I've always liked submarines.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
How often do they update the clock? IS it just on a need by base or is it set? Cause if it's a need by base we'll never see it hit 1 second be for cause it'll most like be to late and there might not be anyone around to update it (does not mean no one will be around just the ones that update it might be dead).

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

It isn't 'nonsense' and it isn't 'foretelling the end of the world' either. It's a symbolic clock to communicate the perception of risk in the world. It isn't meant to be a statistical device or an expression of science.

It's nonsense in that it accomplishes nothing.. at least, nothing positive. It's not going to scare the world straight, nor is it an accurate representation of anything. What happens when it hits midnight? Well it probably never will.. because a 1 minute 'til.. they won't dare move it to "end O' the world time," or whatever midnight is supposed to represent. Ergo, it's faulty. Even the name of it is ridiculous.

It was originally created for the threat of nuclear war... and then has since been "adjusted" to represent climate change.

I don't like it because it's such a negative thing to introduce and announce to the public. It is not going to promote positive thinking, positive change, or anything else. It's called the DOOMSDAY clock for crying out loud.

I'm a big proponent of positive thoughts creating positive change. Such things as a clock foretelling our doom is something I will never agree with.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Fair enough; we'll have to agree to disagree.

It's a collective of academics who are well-informed in the areas of nuclear energy, warfare and management. They've been posting the Bulletins since the late 1940s and calling it as they see it.

I'm a big proponent of positive thoughts creating positive change. Such things as a clock foretelling our doom is something I will never agree with.

That's an admirable perspective as long as 'positive thoughts' are enough to soothe international tensions and negate the chances of unforeseen consequences. Maybe they could rebrand the 'doomsday clock' as a 'glass half full' and promote the fact that we're not dead yet?

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy
Sorry if I upset you with my "50 megaton" comments, pfishy. But, I've read your reply, and my post, over again a couple times and still don't understand exactly what your beef is with it.

I recall the 9/11 event like it happened yesterday. I watched it on the tube as it took on a life of it's own. It was surreal; almost beyond belief. I also remember how it affected this country in the aftermath. It did a lot more than just get our attention. But compared with a nuclear strike, 9/11 would be a day at the park. I do agree with you, though, there really is no comparison. But, it's the closest thing I could think of that anyone can use to relate with.

I think it's likely I understand the impact and finality of a dozen 50 megaton devices detonating over American cities as much as yourself. I used the number 50 because it represents only a small fraction of the potential exchange that would occur in an actual attack. Maybe if I had said. "just 1 50 megaton bomb", you would have found it less offensive. So, let's mentally replace the number 50 with the number 1 in my post, since it's too late for me to edit it. I'm good with that.

The only point I was trying to make, though unsuccessfully, is that we can't imagine the HUGE impact/consequences that would result if we were to one day unleash the destructive power at our disposal. It would surely be the end of everything we know. And I doubt there's much disagreement with that...

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

What ever it takes to remove USD and usan hegemony, we are ready. Scam of the Earth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join