It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are microwaves safe to use?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I have just started using one, mainly to reheat food, not actually cook with it, sometimes I defrost. Are they ok to use or should I throw it away?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I've been using a microwave for 25+ years with no ill effects. I'm pretty sure you're safe.
edit on 3/6/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Microwaves are non-ionizing radiation so you (and your food) should be safe!

That said don't run one with the door off and aim it at your head, it would no longer be safe.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: tastyrawmeat
Are they ok to use or should I throw it away?

They're fine. The box shields all the nasty microwaves from getting to you.

After being on the market all these decades without people dropping dead right and left from them, I'm pretty sure you can be confident that they won't kill you or give you any more cancer than you're going to get from just living life.

Sure, we're all going to die from heart disease or cancer, but nobody can point to microwave ovens and specifically say that they caused any specific cancer.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Only if used from the outside.
If you turn one on while inside the microwave I think they can be dangerous.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
They're no good for drying wet pets. Also, don't run it around someone that has a pacemaker.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: tastyrawmeat

They're fine. I rarely use a microwave only because i don't like the taste of most things after they've been microwaved. I use it for popcorn and reheating pizza

edit on 3/6/2015 by PsychoEmperor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Extremely hazardous to......food!!!

For drinks etc they are fine but personally I think they ruin food, cant beat a blazing fire

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure they zap the nutritional value out of food.

I'm paranoid, so I haven't used a microwave in about three years.

I will continue not to as well, I just don't trust them.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

They are great for sanitizing dish washing utensils sponges etc.
Great for heating water
Indispensable for defrosting things if you are short on time.

Cooking, not so much.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Yeah, I don't think there's a huge risk to overall health involved in using one to heat up some water or pop some corn, but caution is best when dealing with actually cooking food in them. They absolutely zap nutrients out of the food and breakdown the cellular structure of food much moreso than real cooking does. Another big concern: DON'T EVER COOK FOOD IN PLASTIC USING ONE!!! That includes microwave safe food wrappings and containers! Any form of plastic, no matter how "safe" they claim to be, leech carcinogens into the food during the microwaving cycles. If you must use a microwave, use a glass container.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm paranoid haven't had one for fifteen years.

They're bad because they only cook # food.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
MMMMMMMM.... hashtag food......

Seriously though, I agree that the food they cook tends to be pretty foul.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Don't use it to dry your pets like some lady did.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Dont use plastic as the food molecules and plastic molecules blend in the microwave....i dont use one i think it makes the food taste bad.....they do make good letterboxes though

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I only use mine for pizza pops, but i don't think those are really considered "food" or have "nutrients" to destroy.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I am not a fan, I have no scientific basis for this other than that most things man made out turn out to be damaging.

If you need food that fast you should have planned your day better.

Food that can be cooked in a microwave in 5 mins can not be good for you.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Mircowave heat differs drastically from conventional heating methods. You can heat human blood up in a pan for a blood transfusion. If you put it in a microwave first and then use for a transfusion you will kill your subject.

They alter the biochemicals in food in ways that would normally require vast amounts of energy and they create chemicals that can cause cancer and the kill nutrients.

A group of scientists a while back released papers on the dangers of these beasts. Guess what they all had gagging order put on them..

They are not safe and best avoided..

Purp.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I remember an experiment someone did in the 90s where they took water that had been microwaved and water that had not and watered 2 separate plants of the same species. The plant with the microwaved water didn't do so well.

I'll have to find that now and read it again. I agree with everyone saying food tastes terrible after it is warmed up in a microwave.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join