It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity vs scientific advancement.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Thanks a lot, Christianity.

Yes we get it, you all hate science and progress. But how about letting the rest of humanity move forward? Please? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: rokkuman

Thanks a lot, Christianity.

Yes we get it, you all hate science and progress. But how about letting the rest of humanity move forward? Please? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

The religion running society ship has already sailed. We arnt gong back no matter how many anti Christ tales they tell.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rokkuman

And If left upto them it would still continue. (not all of course but even onATS you see it).
Look at the attempt to destroy evolution (not worked btw) they have lied in court and played very nasty tricks to push their view.
Waiting for the "Oh poor us you are all persecuting us" comments now

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

So progression was successful for 400 years under Rome (Catholicism)...

Almost equal to the Renaissance...

So what the hell happened inbetween the two?

Christianity might be a bit of a scapegoat there, certainly would have played a part, but that can't be the whole picture.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
no poor me, i totally agree: catholicism and for awhile, protestantism, was afraid of science. not my fault.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Really getting lazy with the anti Christian rhetoric now. Don't worry, I am sure this apathetic attempt will garner lots of S&F's amongst the ardent supporters.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Some history geezer with a compelling thesis said we lost this time because Islam was on the march During this time Pob ( plague on both )
I cant find him now..
Best I can find

Dark ages

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Really getting lazy with the anti Christian rhetoric now.

Pointing out that Christianity stunted scientific advancement is not "anti-christian rhetoric".

Or would you rather hear that from a talking snake or a talking donkey?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
In reason of scientific expansion and development, yes we can point fingers at said religions and their hierarchies.

In reason of spiritual expansion and development, yes we can point fingers at science and societies hierarchies.

When will humanity stop #ting in their own terroritory, and seek the balance of both reasonings?

Why does it always have to bash one or the other, when they are EQUALLY important and apart of who we are as a species in the womb of the universe?

Seriously stop bashing and comparing. They are both apart of our human spectrum of; thought, reason, internal desires, internal discovery, and truth.

Work together not against. I'm f'ing sick of division.
edit on 6-3-2015 by Elementalist because: typo

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Yeah I am seeing a lot of this rhetoric as well. Is ATS becoming a site just to bad mouth Christianity?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

The dark ages was caused by the destruction of the Roman empire by barbaruians....not Christianity.

Nice shallow one side graph

I wish I could use these in in college

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Well it looks to me like early Christians bought us a lot more time than I had previously estimated. We would've completely destroyed the Earth by now if it weren't for their efforts.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

LOL

Make that lemonade!

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rokkuman

Really getting lazy with the anti Christian rhetoric now.

Pointing out that Christianity stunted scientific advancement is not "anti-christian rhetoric".

Or would you rather hear that from a talking snake or a talking donkey?

You didn't 'point out' anything.

You copy and pasted a picture and added a line of txt under it.

It was very minimalistic in thought and effort, hoping for lots of accolades from the like minded masses here.

Don't worry, I am sure this lethargic approach will appeal to your target readers.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

The dark ages was caused by the destruction of the Roman empire by barbaruians....not Christianity.

Nice shallow one side graph

I wish I could use these in in college

Huh?? Charlamaine was a monster who killed anyone who disagreed with his opinion of Christianity... Hell it was probubally his policies that caused Europe to be ripe for the taking.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Yea, very much a soap box for people to bash an entire group of people. I'm not even religious but I can't stand this atheist rhetoric, and then claim they get religion shoved down their throat.

Romans became Christian and hundred year or so was completely destroyed by hordes that BURNED every single city they could find, anything Roman got torched.

The Romans gave civilization the infrastructure and security to advance, once that was gone, the only thing to fill that void was the germanic tribes that rejected that type of lifestyle, due to hatred for the Romans and their wars against them.

The Roman gave us roads, sewer, aqueducts, military profession, political stability, education, etc. The renaissance was the rediscovery of the Greek and Roman knowledge.

The Romans becoming Christian is hypothesized to cause the Roman military to lose its edge considering you're following Jesus rather than Ares god of war.

If you wanna say that Christianity is the reason for the dark ages you should research the Byzantine Empire. the true Roman successor
edit on 6-3-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Really getting lazy with the anti Christian rhetoric now. Don't worry, I am sure this apathetic attempt will garner lots of S&F's amongst the ardent supporters.

I think what we are seeing is the birth of a new religion. One that has all of the judgment of the other control mechanisms, without any requirement for the member to have any personal beliefs (much less discuss them). It's not something exclusive to god/no God interactions, as not all religions have gods, but I suspect it will become more apparent in the next decade or two. Really, the only thing missing is organization.

Many individuals will claim otherwise, but only time will tell. Once a self labeled group grows large enough, it is turned and shaped into a social manipulation tool. There are those who intentionally profit/benefit from this process, but it's also just something we seem to do as a species. The cessation of personal exploration in favor of appeals to authority..

I think it's important to remember that as annoying as the rhetoric may be, it's exactly how non-Christians can be persecuted by the religious. At least, those claiming to be religious.

The loudest, most polarizing personalities tend to get the most attention and then this is used to define the group as a whole by the opposition's confirmation bias. Once we learn how to get beyond that, we can start a new chapter.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

Yea, he also was the first to cause true reform and steer Europe away from the dark ages but then the viking started invading.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Its called the religion of the ego. I know lots of people uneducated/educated that jump to atheism as a default. Probably some of the most self absorbed people I know.

NOTE: I'm not claiming religion would not cause this type of personality

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
During the Renaissance, the 'pagan' elements of Christianity were highlighted. This was very natural to some Christians, who viewed Christianity as an extension, an iteration, of ancient wisdom.

Other Christians were alarmed, and wanted to purge 'paganism' from Christianity. So they invented science to cleanse Christianity of elements that they judged to be pagan. But it didn't work out the way they planned.

So if you like science, you can thank the paranoia of uptight, judgmental, ignorant Protestants.

In a nutshell.

👣

edit on 830FridayuAmerica/ChicagoMaruFridayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join