It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HArrison Ford in Plane Crash...In Critical Condition.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
Saw on the news they were praising his heroism in swerving to avoid houses, would've thought thats more of a sane action to continue living than some massive act of bravery but hey, hope he gets better.

One report I read claimed a plane like that tends to swirl and land upside down when the engine fails. It claimed only a very skilled pilot can land it when the engine fails without it landing upside down, without it hitting anyone, at that.

He says less-experienced pilots training on the plane during World War II would often crash because the plane tended to flip when the engine fails.

'That alone is testament to the great ability Harrison Ford had. He made a 180-degree turn with the engine seizing up on him. He almost made it to the runway,' Dake said.

'He was able to keep that plane away from the houses and land it with the least impact on the community. That was the best place he could have landed it.

'He was 100 per cent doing exactly what an excellent aviator would do.'

'We wanted to get him out safely and with the fuel leaking out, I motioned to some of the other folks at the golf course to put dirt on the fuel so it wouldn’t combust,' Khurana told CBS.

The actor was 52 when he started taking flying lessons and over the years the Indiana Jones star has amassed an impressive aviation collection.

He keeps the aircraft at the Santa Monica Airport which is where he was where he had taken off from in his two-seater PT- 22 shortly before he crashed on a nearby Venice golf course.

The Ryan PT-22 Recruit with its silver metallic body and eye-catching yellow trim was built in 1942 and was primarily designed as a trainer for the U.S. Army Air Corps.

Ford was regularly seen flying it in and out of Santa Monica Airport and was last photographed in it just a week ago on Friday February 27.

In an interview with The Mail On Sunday back in 2010, the Blade Runner and Star Wars actor talked about some of the planes in his collection and the reasons he loves flying so much.

'Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom.' he said. 'It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment.

Ford, 72, has a long range jet, a Citation Sovereign, a turboprop aircraft capable of operating on unimproved airstrips; and a de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver single engine bush plane.

He also has a 1929 Waco Taperwing open-top biplane, an Aviat Husky, which is a two-seat fabric-covered bush plane, and a Bell 407 helicopter.

In 1999, Ford was flying his helicopter along the Lake Piru riverbed, north-east of Los Angeles, when it went down in a hard landing during a training session.

He once described crashing a plane as being like scraping a bumper and said he used his planes as much he used his cars.

'I'm so passionate about flying, I often fly up the coast for a cheeseburger,' he said in 2010.

The Hollywood star often flies to and from his ranch in Wyoming and has used his helicopter there to aid Search and Rescue crews locate missing hikers.

With his need for speed, Ford collects vintage cars and motorbikes,

He has about a dozen motorcycles including several BMWs, a couple of Harleys, Hondas and a Triumph.

He has vintage cars too including a rare 1955 forest green convertible Jaguar XK 140 worth about $150,000.

Sou rce

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I bet he was drunk. He likes his drink and this is not the first crash he's been in that involved booze. Never bought the whole "moral compass" image. Nothing against him, I like him too. Doubt he buys into his image either,

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Godspeed Harry

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: kazanoom
I bet he was drunk. He likes his drink and this is not the first crash he's been in that involved booze. Never bought the whole "moral compass" image. Nothing against him, I like him too. Doubt he buys into his image either,

I liked him a lot more before I read about his apparent "extreme liberalism". Though I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise, considering his stature in Hollywood.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: kazanoom

You don't land a PT-22, engine out and upright if you're drunk.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I hope he gets well soon! Man he's lucky he didn't go down in the trees. I wonder how fast you have to keep that plane moving for it to glide?

Hey I caught one of his older movie's by accident a while back titled - Wittness. He was much younger then and darn if that wasn't a good movie.

He had apparently witnessed some kind of police corruption and had fled to a far away Amish Community to avoid being killed or sucked into the corruption. They tracked him down and the end and tried to kill him but Harrison burried one in a grain bin and managed to get past the others as well.

Here is a clip from the movie, this is a great Harrison Ford moment among many.

edit on 7-3-2015 by Voyager1 because: None given!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
For all his fans, this is kinda cool.
He started in the bizz way before I
thought he did.

The man is a very accomplished pilot.
edit on Ram30715v082015u16 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

That was asweome! I saw every movie until Chrystal skull and and then only a couple....the Skull must have destroyed our intimate relationship.

Hmmm still the longest loving relationship of my life it seems.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

He flys helicopters even so I'm impressed looking
into this guy for the first time. He doesn't just
party and drink and make a nuisance of himself.
He seems to be about bettering himself and that
seems cool enough for me.

Remember Happy go lucky?

edit on Ram30715v16201500000043 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

That's pretty cool actually. I'll consider myself schooled and retract my post.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I don't hope that someone shot off his tail..

hope you came out right indy ...

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
Saw on the news they were praising his heroism in swerving to avoid houses, would've thought thats more of a sane action to continue living than some massive act of bravery but hey, hope he gets better.

One report I read claimed a plane like that tends to swirl and land upside down when the engine fails. It claimed only a very skilled pilot can land it when the engine fails without it landing upside down, without it hitting anyone, at that.

He says less-experienced pilots training on the plane during World War II would often crash because the plane tended to flip when the engine fails.

'That alone is testament to the great ability Harrison Ford had. He made a 180-degree turn with the engine seizing up on him. He almost made it to the runway,' Dake said.

'He was able to keep that plane away from the houses and land it with the least impact on the community. That was the best place he could have landed it.

'He was 100 per cent doing exactly what an excellent aviator would do.'

'We wanted to get him out safely and with the fuel leaking out, I motioned to some of the other folks at the golf course to put dirt on the fuel so it wouldn’t combust,' Khurana told CBS.

The actor was 52 when he started taking flying lessons and over the years the Indiana Jones star has amassed an impressive aviation collection.

He keeps the aircraft at the Santa Monica Airport which is where he was where he had taken off from in his two-seater PT- 22 shortly before he crashed on a nearby Venice golf course.

The Ryan PT-22 Recruit with its silver metallic body and eye-catching yellow trim was built in 1942 and was primarily designed as a trainer for the U.S. Army Air Corps.

Ford was regularly seen flying it in and out of Santa Monica Airport and was last photographed in it just a week ago on Friday February 27.

In an interview with The Mail On Sunday back in 2010, the Blade Runner and Star Wars actor talked about some of the planes in his collection and the reasons he loves flying so much.

'Flying is like good music: it elevates the spirit and it's an exhilarating freedom.' he said. 'It's not a thrill thing or an adrenaline rush; it's engaging in a process that takes focus and commitment.

Ford, 72, has a long range jet, a Citation Sovereign, a turboprop aircraft capable of operating on unimproved airstrips; and a de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver single engine bush plane.

He also has a 1929 Waco Taperwing open-top biplane, an Aviat Husky, which is a two-seat fabric-covered bush plane, and a Bell 407 helicopter.

In 1999, Ford was flying his helicopter along the Lake Piru riverbed, north-east of Los Angeles, when it went down in a hard landing during a training session.

He once described crashing a plane as being like scraping a bumper and said he used his planes as much he used his cars.

'I'm so passionate about flying, I often fly up the coast for a cheeseburger,' he said in 2010.

The Hollywood star often flies to and from his ranch in Wyoming and has used his helicopter there to aid Search and Rescue crews locate missing hikers.

With his need for speed, Ford collects vintage cars and motorbikes,

He has about a dozen motorcycles including several BMWs, a couple of Harleys, Hondas and a Triumph.

He has vintage cars too including a rare 1955 forest green convertible Jaguar XK 140 worth about $150,000.

Sou rce

I don't know if I agree with the flying character of the PT-22. It is a primary trainer, an airplane you first start learning to fly. This characterization seems strange for training new pilots and may be over-stated. All airplanes and helicopters will react when power is lost due to torque changes. As long as he kept his airspeed above stall speed, he could fly the plane to the ground safely.

What is a swirl? A "swirl" is not an aviation term!
edit on 7-3-2015 by buddah6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

I actually saw harrison ford while I was watching the first episode of "Mod Squad" last week, he was one of the 2 cops on the pier!!...you watch something really old and someone who became a major star shows up in a small part early in their career!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Fermy

What a stupid thing to say! Of course its bad when this happens to anyone, and when I see it happen to someone I don't know its sad?

You saying people should not be sad because its someone famous?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

Mod Squad ? OMG! I'm not the only one who likes
to watch all the ground breakers of the past? I did
the same thing watching an episode of Friends a
couple weeks ago. Bradley Cooper was in a very
small part as a waiter. He looked totally different
but you could tell it was him easily. Harrison Ford
on Mod Squad. Did they bust him down for to
many off topics and a felony manners and decorum?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

The PT-22 was notorious as a pilot trainer. They called it the Cadet Killer. Under normal flight conditions it was fairly stable and somewhat forgiving. But when they redesigned the ST-A that it was based on, they swept the wing to make it more stable without a second pilot on board.

The result of this sweep was to change the airflow over the wing to such an extent that the control reaction time was slowed way down. It's actually quite easy to stall and spin, and difficult to recover because of it. Quite a few people that have flown them swore they'd never fly one again.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
originally posted by: buddah6

I don't know if I agree with the flying character of the PT-22. It is a primary trainer, an airplane you first start learning to fly. This characterization seems strange for training new pilots and may be over-stated. All airplanes and helicopters will react when power is lost due to torque changes. As long as he kept his airspeed above stall speed, he could fly the plane to the ground safely.

What is a swirl? A "swirl" is not an aviation term!

A swirl is a "Me" term. I'm not an aviator. LOL Sorry. When the plane does a spin as it's crashing. Whatever you aviators call that.

I'm a civvie.
edit on 3/7/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for the info! It seemed that he had the plane under control on the video. If I had to guess, his crash was due to uneven terrain on the golf course. The plane was basically intact but showed signs of a rapid deceleration. This is also evident in HF's broken leg and pelvis. His head lacerations were most likely caused by impact on the instrument panel...just my 2 cents.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I think also star wars was his very early movie
a reply to: Voyager1

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Just wondering if pt 22 is anything like the super cub?
a reply to: Zaphod58

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join