It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will humanity be a space faring race? Or are we doomed to die on this planet?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
So I ask this question simply because I have listened to so many credible scientists and physicists state that it is an important step in human evolution to become a space faring race. The risk is too great if we do not take this option. We are literally risking our entire race to extinction because we do not take this serious enough.

We have almost all of the tools at our disposal to begin literally cranking out starships of various sizes to leave this planet permanently to explore the unknown. The outer reaches of space is what we are destined for. So why is there such delay in progress.

There has not been a single group of countries dedicated to creating a starship capable of taking 500 or 1000 people on a mission to search for a planet to begin constructing colonies.

By current time, we should've have manned starships at the edge of the solar system by now..

----------------------------------------------

Or is it that all of humanity needs to be threathened with a global ending catastrophe to get humans off their collective rears and start building and studying how to live off planet permanently?

-I have personally wanted this to be something that I could take part in-I must have been born in the wrong century.....

I bet I could pilot a starship better than most people

What say you ATS? Will we accomplish the destiny of humanity or will be another race that wasnt intelligent enough to get the concept?
edit on 5-3-2015 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2015 by 4N0M4LY because: missing words

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Will humanity be a space faring race? Or are we doomed to die on this planet?

You know that the record for staying in space stands at 437 days? The record setter was Valeri Vladimirovich Polyakov and he did it between 1994-1995.

That was 20 yers ago.

edit on 5-3-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

We have almost all of the tools at our disposal to begin literally cranking out starships of various sizes to leave this planet permanently to explore the unknown. The outer reaches of space is what we are destined for. So why is there such delay in progress.

Its a bit more complex than that. The logistics aren't there yet.

Let alone how to survive in between stars for a hundred thousand years, growing food, atrophy of the human body and mind…

Who's going to pay for it?[i/]

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

It was with 1 guy correct? One. It was an impossible feat made possible in that time but we have the tech now to out pace that by a 100 fold. I dont see anything from anyone try to make this a priority as to the survival of the race as a whole.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I expect we will just start to truly be a space faring race and we will rip ourselves apart in a world War.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Only the true innovators like Elon Musk and the Mars One crew can save us.

So much negativity on Mars one, even from Neil Tyson Degrass, but Mars and the Moon have to be our permanent first outposts.

People will die, horrible painful deaths, but yet they will pave the way. It will only be individuals and companies and private business that gets us there.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY

It was with 1 guy correct? One. It was an impossible feat made possible in that time but we have the tech now to out pace that by a 100 fold. I dont see anything from anyone try to make this a priority as to the survival of the race as a whole.

Just too many other things to concern us, global/whatever, food production, diseases, terrorism, lack of jobs, lack of money (blame Soros for that) droughts, floods, earthquakes.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Some of us will become space faring. Most of us will likely be left in the dark thinking there's no way off this rock, and we are doomed to extinction some day. Or so we will probably be told. If the "1%" have anything to say about it, they will be the ones exploring the galaxy while we all sit around ignorant that it can even be accomplished yet. Lets hope they don't have the final say.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That is one big problem as it stands currently. The world revolves around money. Monetary spending is a grain in the sand on a beach so large that we almost connot fathom its existence. The people of Earth in my own opinion need to STOP thinking in terms of cost but how long will it take to get this built?

An economy based on rewarding people who better the lives of the world we live in rather that who can get the cash faster. The thinking terms for work reward are backwards.

Reward the scientists/Technicians/Electicians/Micro chip makers/ welders/ plumbers/ Inventors.

People need to stop thinking in terms of self. Start thinking in terms of self preservation of species.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

...but we have the tech now to out pace that by a 100 fold.

No, we do not.

The big problem that we have discovered recently is how being in space destroys atronaut's eyes.

Space is bad for astronauts' eyes

We're not going anywhere but short stays in LEO.

It was with 1 guy correct? One.

What are you thinking? Safety in numbers? Gravity could care less.

edit on 5-3-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I think it's inevitable we will become space-faring one day.

However, there are several hurdles that must be overcome in order to achieve this. The most pressing I think is the current fractured state of humanity. Humanity must first unite before we can even consider becoming interplanetary let alone interstellar. If we cannot solve the immature quibbling between nations today, we can't hope to work together for the common goal of ensuring humanity's survival beyond Earth.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Until idiots start sorting themselves out on this planet first, I really don't think we should start spreading our self-induced stupidity on the galaxy anytime soon

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

We don't have it- That is why research needs to be made into developing a protective lens for that. If we don't have something necessary for it to function than we can find a way.

If you can build a rocket to escape Earth's graviational pull then I have a reasonable faith that we can do much more. I just don't want to die and look at earth's inhabitants scabbling over land and resources and destroying themselves over petty stuff compared to real galaxic politics that have a direct impact on said planet.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I have always wondered how that would play out. Unfortunately I see a violent outcome unless some out side intervention is made.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
scientists making claims for their own self interest for the most part. Its kind of like government preaching we need more government to progress. You have to constantly inject yourself into discussion to stay relevent and get for funding their own self interests. They cant do this themselves in a free system so the turn things political in an attempt to form alliances with buruecrats to extort money by force. What ends up happening is government and corperations sell out the citezenry and develop a bunch of technology that never get released anyways to anyone in the 99% percentile (who are actually the ones paying for it). Then when they have all this technology they start playing war games with large populations of people and a bunch of those 99% folks get to be killed along the way.

scoentists have lost lmpst all credibility over the years. Even Salk's decision to not patent the polio vaccine is questionable. In the end listening to scientist preach virtue is about valid as listening to government or actors spout politics for the "Good" of the people.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Even if it was allowed to continue. I'm sure a lot of people would be in for a rude awakening to find out we aren't the biggest fish in the ocean. Any aggressive alien species would rather make us as slaves than outright elimination as a form of entertainment.
edit on 5-3-2015 by 4N0M4LY because: spelling

edit on 5-3-2015 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: agenda51
Truely a shame when people cannot do things simply to help push our civilization forward to the end goal of exploration and creating our own existence to surpass the predetermined date of exstinction.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
There is no alternative than to become space faring, lest we deplete the planet of it's resources or make it generally uninhabitable. The other day I saw NASA's design for a spaceship:

I just hope wise countries will work together better and usher in a robotics age where robots go out into space first to prepare the way for humans. Some countries I don't see making it into space, it is all imagined by the West, computer technology, space travel, every other country got it from the US/EU if they got anything at all. Lots of people will continue to live in tents in the desert or in some jungle, maybe in half a century there'll be stark contrasts between those who developed themselves and those that did not. In a few centuries, one group will probably have colonized some other planets, while the other group will still be struggling in backwards places.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
When I was a little kid, we were taking our first steps on the moon. Everyone thought that by now there would be colonies on the moon, habitats in orbit around the Earth, a colony on Mars and we would be mining the asteroid belt.

Instead, we have a handful of robotic probes and rovers out there, and a few people in a hodge-podge put together space station.

Why?

Many reasons.

Money being the number one reason: it cost quite a bit of money to develop space travel and to actually do it. Private corporations saw no profit in it, and governments decided that the money would be better spent on military forces, seeing no real advantage for the military past low Earth orbit..

People: You have groups of people that fight space exploration tooth and nail, claiming we (humans) are wasting our money, time and resources on it. That we should solve all the world's problems first (a futile thing, as there is no way that all the world's problems will ever be solved). Mean while the clock is ticking. That asteroid with Earth's name on it will get here one day, or Global Warming will do us in, or some mass pandemic).

The only way I can see humans getting into space en mass is one of two ways:

1) It becomes very profitable. For whatever reason, large corporations with their vast sums of money find a way to make a profit on this.

2) The world economy changes to where money and power means nothing, and instead of trying to survive or make as much money as possible, everyone instead can help pursue the expansion of the human race.

I most certainly would not hold my breath on the 2nd one. I believe if it's going to happen, it will be because of the first one.

You have lots of people out there that think the only way we are going to go out into space is with the governments......but when mega corps throw their weight and money behind things, that's when they actually happen.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
There is no question humans have the intelligence among many other traits that would allow us to pull this off with ease over time.

The problem is at this rate there will not be enough time to accomplish the task. There is no common goal on this planet. The humans are at each others throats over greed and power. By the time these idiots in charge realize what they have done to our home, there just won't be enough time to leave.

The humans are consuming the resources at an alarming rate, and destroying pretty much every living thing on this planet. It's not rocket science here, it needs to change or we are doomed when we have depleted the resources and killed all the animals.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join