It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Surprised to Find Noah's Ark Feasible

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

I have to agree, how can we forget that Noah's ark and the impossible is always to become a fact when the hand of God made it was present.

Darn I forgot that I should never question supernatural forces when they are attributed to the all mighty God.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Shadow Herder

But you just posted a Mesoamerican writing that claimed there was a global flood, as proof that it was referencing a global flood. Yes, of course in modern times we can collect writings from across the Earth and look for flood stories. But how, IN HIS TIME, did the writer of that passage know his flood was global?

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I like to lean to the idea that the Ark story was not localised to Noah only or the story of Noah was lifted from other myths or lores.

www.talkorigins.org... , that link has hundreds of stories from around the world and many of them have a man and women who survived by floating on something or that some people were told to build small vessels. The story of the dove, bird , turtle etc were commonly used as finder of land.

Interesting thing is that when you study the flood myths from around the world the people who lived in low areas such as the mediterranean, middle east etc had boats as their survival method but in China, South America they survived by climbing the highest mountains where of course mountains exist.
edit on 5-3-2015 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: dr1234

I remember seeing a thread on 10 Insane Ancient Achievements that Science Can’t Explain, like rocks that has been stacked up to form a wall, or stone statues that modern science has now why of explaining. Modern engineering can't even lift rocks that heavy, never-mind move it.

Just a last thought on the off-topic scoffing.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

It is likely that the flood myth IS a story stolen from earlier civilizations about a localized flood in Mesopotamia. There is zero evidence that it was a worldwide flood though.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Well, now you've been schooled. So go forth and
miss the mark no more.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

The Ark Encounter is losing money and is in trouble with the government for trying to use museum building funds to push religion.

Ken Ham’s creationist theme park is already in trouble.

Were Ark Encounter merely a ministry, the First Amendment would protect its discriminatory employment practices. If it were a privately funded company with an explicitly religious purpose, the law might still permit it to hire based on its prejudices. But Ark Encounter isn’t privately funded; the citizens of Kentucky have been roped into paying for it, whether they like it or not. Earlier this year, Kentucky’s Tourism Development Finance Authority gave preliminary support for $18.25 million in tax credits for Ark Encounter, citing Ham’s promise that the project would create 600 to 700 jobs. And that’s just for the first phase of construction; ultimately, the state could grant Ark Encounter up to $73 million in tax breaks.

Tax breaks come with government oversight—and right now, the Kentucky government doesn’t like what it sees. As Americans United for Separation of Church and State pointed out, Section 5 of the Kentucky constitution states that the government may never preference “any religious sect, society, or denomination” over another. Courts have interpreted this section to mean that the state may not create benefits for the public that are available only to specific religious groups. Yet that is precisely what Kentucky has done by funding Ark Encounter with taxpayer money: Sure, the park may create hundreds of jobs, but Ham has ensured that those jobs will go to only biblical literalist Christians whose beliefs align perfectly with his.

Wisely, the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet, which oversees the dispersal of tax incentives, halted its funding after it saw Ark Encounter’s employment application. Bob Stewart, secretary of the cabinet, wrote to Ham that “the Commonwealth does not provide incentives to any company that discriminates on the basis of religion and we will not make any exception for Ark Encounter, LLC.” Before funding could proceed, Stewart explained, “the Commonwealth must have the express written assurance from Ark Encounter, LLC that it will not discriminate in any way on the basis of religion in hiring.”

By the way, this model ark was never supposed to float. So it can't be used as a measurement to say that Noah's Ark was possible.
edit on 5-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes

But you just posted a Mesoamerican writing that claimed there was a global flood, as proof that it was referencing a global flood. Yes, of course in modern times we can collect writings from across the Earth and look for flood stories. But how, IN HIS TIME, did the writer of that passage know his flood was global?

By observing the ocean and land it would be a easy assumption. The waters of the ocean now sit 120 meters plus higher than it was before some ancient cities were built around the world. Much land was lost and the weather system was in chaos for hundreds of years due to the cold waters of the ice sheet melt off and periodic super volcanoes near the ring of fire that most likely blotted out the sun for some time.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It is likely that the flood myth IS a story stolen from earlier civilizations about a localized flood in Mesopotamia. There is zero evidence that it was a worldwide flood though.

Your were shown to be ignorant in your last postings about the aztecs, ever think that you are on a roll?

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I see your rudeness is apparent as ever. Produce geologic evidence of a worldwide flood then. Show me how the amount of water on the planet could cover the entire planet. Show me when this happened. Use SCIENTIFIC evidence instead of mythological evidence. Kid.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shadow Herder

By observing the ocean and land it would be a easy assumption. The waters of the ocean now sit 120 meters plus higher than it was before some ancient cities were built around the world. Much land was lost and the weather system was in chaos for hundreds of years due to the cold waters of the ice sheet melt off and periodic super volcanoes near the ring of fire that most likely blotted out the sun for some time.
THAT is some mighty projection of modern knowledge onto the mind of an ancient man.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I see your rudeness is apparent as ever. Produce geologic evidence of a worldwide flood then. Show me how the amount of water on the planet could cover the entire planet. Show me when this happened. Use SCIENTIFIC evidence instead of mythological evidence. Kid.

If you read the links provided you would of learned that the earth flooded and is still flooded. There were mega tsunamis caused by pulses of melt from the 3km high ice sheets that sat on Canada and the u.s. This didn't happen happily or gently to the living organisms on this planet. Google how many animals and man were lost during the end of the last ice age. Land still is underwater since these events.

I think you are taking ancient translated texts to literally and that may be your folly.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentOpinion
a reply to: dr1234

I remember seeing a thread on 10 Insane Ancient Achievements that Science Can’t Explain, like rocks that has been stacked up to form a wall, or stone statues that modern science has now why of explaining. Modern engineering can't even lift rocks that heavy, never-mind move it.

Just a last thought on the off-topic scoffing.

i recall that thread as well. do you know what wasnt on that list? noahs ark. seems it fell somewhat shy of the historicity quota.

and that scoffing is very much on topic, thank you.
edit on 5-3-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I don't see the big deal.

All they are saying is that 70,000 animals of unknown size could be on a ship of that dimension without sinking it. It is just a buoyancy issue.

A wooden ship like that would sink regardless of if it was empty of full. Wood ships leak and the bigger the wood ship the more it leaks. They didn't have bilge pumps and in seas that ship would have been twisting making it leak even more.

It would sink faster than the Wyoming (schooner).

Soon as it hit any waves the ship would have buckled and gone down. The end.

Here are just a few other problems with the Ark Myth.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shadow Herder

By observing the ocean and land it would be a easy assumption.
THAT is some mighty projection of modern knowledge onto the mind of an ancient man.

Yes observing the ocean with your eyes must need high technology, im sorry. Really?

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

That's not a global flood. That's a global rise in ocean levels. And it DID happen relatively slowly, slow enough that there was no sudden deluge that meant people needed to flee from a giant tidal wave.

Quit conflating actual geological history with myth. We are still living in the "flooded world" of the post-Ice-Age. Why do we need an Ark? My living room is nice and dry.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Those that did make the list are all still around and can be studied and photographed. Thats why the ark is not on the list.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Yea... No. That wasn't the evidence I demanded. Nice try though. Let me show you what -I- want. The K-T Barrier separates the Cretaceous and Paleogene eras in Earth's history. It is a distinct line in the geologic record that marks the extinction of the dinosaurs. It shows that SOMETHING significant happened at that point in Earth's history everywhere in the world. This barrier shows up no matter where you dig on Earth.

Local floods are also apparent in the geologic record, so we should see a similar barrier for a worldwide flood as well. Give me evidence of this line in the geologic record. I don't care what ancient civilizations claim, if no such barrier exists then no global flood. It's that simple.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

SO many animals died during the last ice age melt, the animals to survive were the animals in the sea of course, mountain animals, deep plain animals, generally the animals not close to the ice sheets or oceans, and the animals of the air and migration.

I tend to think that the noah story should not be taken as a literal account of history, when one reads many stories unrelated to noah but mentioning similar events, there are similar survivor stories that are near identical to the Noah story. It is possible that whoever put together the bible used ancient stories from around the world as this would make for making religion understandable and relatable to all cultures hence helping with conversion.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentOpinion
a reply to: TzarChasm

Those that did make the list are all still around and can be studied and photographed. Thats why the ark is not on the list.

well, lets put this in clear terms for you. MUFON has a stronger case than you do.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join