It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Surprised to Find Noah's Ark Feasible

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Btw the practical limit on the length of a wooden-hulled ship is about 300 feet (90 meter), one of the reasons why we have switched to iron hullls at some point.

The masts of the ships is the limiting factor. With too much masts, it place a lot of strain on the boat, which then crack and break the ship. There you are correct, but the Ark was made to float, not sail. He hid not have any masts.

With only wood, and no masts, and if you build it sturdy enough, you can exceed the limit of 300feet.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

Where is your evidence for all of this? How do you know all animals were together during Noah's time? How did he separate the spaces? He had time to make thousands of rooms also and make sure he can enter each of the thousands of rooms to feed them but also made sure there was no way for them to exit?

Where is this ship and why do those who have claimed to find it give different locations? Where is the evidence that the Earth was ever flooded? Where are the fish fossils found on top of mountains for those poor fish who got stuck up there as the water level was rising?

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Problems with a Global Flood

It's a fairly extensive read, but it brings up some valid points. For instance, dinosaurs. Animal exercise. Pest control. Feeding and watering. Sanitation. Ventilation. Food storage and preservation. Special diets. Fresh foods. Etc.

Many animals require their food to be fresh. Many snakes, for example, will eat only live foods (or at least warm and moving). Parasitoid wasps only attack living prey. Most spiders locate their prey by the vibrations it produces. [Foelix, 1996] Most herbivorous insects require fresh food. Aphids, in fact, are physically incapable of sucking from wilted leaves. How did Noah keep all these food supplies fresh?

edit on 3-5-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

I'm not going to sit here debunking vague creationist talking points for the umpteenth time with someone who's idea of a credible source is the bible and the Institute of Creationist Research.

Who said I'm a creationist? So the fact that ICR ran the story means that the students and professors are no longer credible in science? Weak argument.

They are not scientists, they are students.

I said that the professors are scientists. Don't twist my words.

This was not published in a scientific journal

So anything that is not in a scientific journal is not science???

here were FAR more than 35,000 species around at that time

Are you counting the variations and subspecies? Or the main kind, like feline? (as said in another post)

The fact that there's not any evidence for a global flood

Have you ever used Google earth, or even fly around the world, looked out, and see massive flood damage all over the world. Have you ever noticed the evidence of a flood in countries like Iran, or any desert? Look it up.

The fact that a global flood would have resulted in a COMPLETELY different bio and geological landscape than there is now

Here you are assuming that the world look like this millions of years ago. How did fossilized mussels and clams get on the top of mountains around the world?

t's nothing more than weak fundamentalist padnering.

Any evidence for you claim (accusation)?

edit on 5-3-2015 by IndependentOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I've got a space ship I'll sell you that will get you and 70,000 people to Mars in 40 days if you each limit yourself to one suitcase. BYOB.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

Where is this ship and why do those who have claimed to find it give different locations? Where is the evidence that the Earth was ever flooded? Where are the fish fossils found on top of mountains for those poor fish who got stuck up there as the water level was rising?

Try looking up clams, mussels and oysters fount on mountains. Why then do they find fish fossils in deserts around the world? I have one in my collection!

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I belive the article just was in refernce to the ability for a boat to contain and transport the 70,000 different speceis. The origional source was not making any claims that the story was true, just that the physics of this feat can be accounted for.

Most of the replies have been about other random theories or beliefs based on dogmas that where not brought up. Unfortunately the origional poster felt the need to try to respond to the trolling and has derailed this topic.

This is sad when a topic is presented and if it has any validity that some will feel will give credence to an opposing view point; rather than discuss the mater, some feel the need to jump topics and bring up other points they feel must be associated with the origional proposition to prove their view on something they feel is being threatened.
edit on 5-3-2015 by RazielBlaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Nope it is not the masts, but the hogging and sagging of the hull due to waves. At some point wood is simply not stiff enough, can't handle the loads.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Are you open to other explanations as to why things like that are found in deserts and on mountain tops? An honest question. There are alternative, and in my opinion, more rational explanations for those things you know.

Marine fossils on mountains.

edit on 3-5-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I did not say the flood was over the mountain, the mountain was under the water, before it rose up.

It proves that the land was underwater. It fits my view.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentOpinion
a reply to: GetHyped

Who said I'm a creationist? So the fact that ICR ran the story means that the students and professors are no longer credible in science? Weak argument.

You're quoting the ICR. You're claiming the biblical account of Noah's Ark is real. You even use the creationist buzz word "kinds". So, question time:

1) How old is the Earth?
2) Is evolution the explanation for biodiversity?

I said that the professors are scientists. Don't twist my words.

Learn to read your sources. This is not a scientific study. It's a fun thought experiment performed by undergrad students.

So anything that is not in a scientific journal is not science???

You CLAIM it was published in a scientific journal. It's not. It's a glorified blog. And no, blog posts making wild claims are NOT science.

Are you counting the variations and subspecies? Or the main kind, like feline? (as said in another post)

Read up on what "species" actually means.

Have you ever used Google earth, or even fly around the world, looked out, and see massive flood damage all over the world. Have you ever noticed the evidence of a flood in countries like Iran, or any desert? Look it up.

Post actual scientific sources, please. Not "I totes think it looks flooded".

Here you are assuming that the world look like this millions of years ago. How did fossilized mussels and clams get on the top of mountains around the world?

Look into the field of geology. It's quite clear you're not even familiar with basic science. Clue: plate tectonics.

Any evidence for you claim (accusation)?

Your OP and subsequent responses.
edit on 5-3-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   

a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I did not say the flood was over the mountain, the mountain was under the water, before it rose up.

It proves that the land was underwater. It fits my view.

Education doesn't fit your view.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Try looking up clams, mussels and oysters fount on mountains. Why then do they find fish fossils in deserts around the world? I have one in my collection!

It's a little thing called "Continental Shift". You might try doing some research yourself.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   

"Who said I'm a creationist?.....

Are you counting the variations and subspecies? Or the main kind, like feline? "

It's just as well you're not a creationist, because your assertion that the ark didn't include sub species etc., would require evolution to really get it's skates on after the ark landed to produce the bio-diversity we now know - something of a problem for those arguing against evolution, I'd have thought.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I am sure I read once where stories about the Ark were inspired (or embellished by the sight of) the huge ship the 'Syracusia' which hardly ever left port. Has anyone else heard of this ship? She was 360" long and built around 240BC.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

How is that? I just said i agree that the mountain was underwater, like you said.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Read up on how mountains are actually formed.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   

So when did this flood occur? The article doesn't say. The size of the animals is rather consequential.

Okay so here is the size of Noah's Ark for comparison using the Biblical dimensions:

and you're really hoping there is none of these dudes on board:

Google told me:

"Noah entered the ark in the 600th year of his life, on the 17th day of the 2nd month (Genesis 7:11-13). Noah left the ark on the 27th day of the 2nd month of the following year (Genesis 8:14-15). Therefore, assuming a lunar calendar of 360 days, Noah was on the ark for approximately 370 days."

70,000 animals on deck and it can float? Alright.

Did they take into account a years worth of food for all the animals??

Use the articles 35,000 animal figure. 35k animals, some of which will be huge regardless of the timeline, on a ship much smaller than the Titanic, with a years worth of food...

Their assessment of the feasibility was just about its buoyancy. I think many more things ought to be considered.
edit on 5-3-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Was it local or was it global flood.. If all the ice of world would melt water level would rise 61 meters (200 feet) , bible says that all the mountains were covered with the water.. for example Mount Hermon is 2814 m above sea level.. so Question is where all the water came from ?

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   

How did ge go all the way to China to get pandas and all the way to America to get buffulo. He would literally have to travel across the 7 oceans as well as seek out all of these animals across all the nations.

A great question.

I once read a Christian counter that on Facebook. He said it took place when the land was one big supercontinent. Pangea. So Noah didn't have to spend as much time on that prepping for this sea voyage.

Which only introduces bigger problems.

Pangea was between the late Paleozoic and early Mesozoic eras. So assuming it was towards the end of Pangea's timeline, but obviously before it split apart, we are looking at the Jurassic period.

So now we are co-existing with the dinosaurs, and they are our shipmates on that year long sea voyage!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join