It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand Spies on Neighbors in Secret 'Five Eyes" Global Surveillance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
So I ran across this GEM on one of the blogspots I recently discovered and wanted to know from others "How is this a conspiracy"?

New Zealand’s electronic eavesdropping agency is spying on its neighbors and sharing communications it intercepts in bulk with the National Security Agency through a controversial Internet mass surveillance system, according to newly revealed secret documents.

Government Communications Security Bureau, New Zealand’s equivalent of the NSA, has been sweeping up the data from across the Asia-Pacific region, targeting island nations such as Tuvalu, Nauru, Kiribati, Samoa, Vanuatu, the Solomon Islands, Fiji, Tonga and France’s overseas territories New Caledonia and French Polynesia. Each of these small nations and territories maintains friendly relations with New Zealand.

The surveillance, reported Wednesday by the New Zealand Herald in collaboration with The Intercept, is being carried out by GCSB from an intelligence base in New Zealand’s Waihopai Valley (pictured above). Intercepted data collected at the Waihopai site is being shared through an NSA surveillance system called XKEYSCORE, which is used to analyze vast amounts of emails, internet browsing sessions and online chats that are intercepted from some 150 different locations worldwide.

The documents on the spying, obtained by The Intercept from NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, shine a light on New Zealand’s role in the so-called Five Eyes, a surveillance alliance that includes electronic eavesdropping agencies from New Zealand, the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia.

conspiracyscope.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: StopWhiningAboutIt

And here I thought it was understood that every country now spies on each other and their citizens.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

And here I thought it was understood that every country now spies on each other and their citizens.

It's only a scandal when it makes the news. Unfortunately trust is very thin among various nations across the globe and spying is a part of everyday life with the advent of the electronic age.
edit on 4-3-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
You know, when I saw 5 eyes I already knew the nations. The 5 primary western white countries. I swear they (we, I) is/are an entirely different race. Reminds me of the crazy video I Watched about Martians destroying their planet and settling here, warring with those from Earth known as Mu. The Martians kick ass than builds Atlantis, does some stupid # with a markaba and blows themselves up. Knowledge once scattered now consolidated again.

Maybe they'll blow themselves up again, like some dumb # with those large atom colliders.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

If I learned one thing from my dedicated viewership of The XFiles it is to trust no one.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I think when I read this initially I was not surprised in the least. Its well known that the Kiwis have maintained one of the top intelligence communities in the world for the last 20+ years. Its no surprise that Edward Snowden (suppsed whistle blower) stumbled across this, in 30 seconds I googled this and was taken directly to this document from the NZ govt website which outlines their "FIVE EYES" partnership.

Excerpt from a July 2014 UNCLASSIFIED release:

Collaboration and partnerships with stakeholders NZIC has a range of domestic and international stakeholders, outside Ministers and the
wider security and intelligence community. The most important of the international relationships are those within the Five Eyes network. These are maintained through continued long-term engagement in a number of different ways. NZIC has important relationships with the private sector and infrastructure stakeholders particularly in relation to protection. Where NZIC provides protective advice to
dmestic stakeholders, it needs to help its employees improve their understanding of how commercial organisations (and government departments with large service delivery systems) will assess the priorities and likely risk trade-offs for their business of any particular course of action.
Feedback from stakeholders is that NZIC’s expertise is valued, but NZIC does not have a formal engagement plan with these stakeholders, and we did not see evidence of these relationships being monitored and managed in an effective and coordinated way

www.ssc.govt.nz...

edit on 4-3-2015 by StopWhiningAboutIt because: formatting

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

I think it is the advent of the age of technology that is the causation of global spying.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I'm sure I read about this last year.
If I recall correctly this was reported by the Guardian in November/December.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I definitely think that technology has accelerated it, but the modern collection assets that are still utilized were invented 50 years ago, High resolution space based photography, Radar imagery, telecommunication interception equipment...and that really cool sattelite that JKack Black gets to navigate with his keyboard in Enemy of the State!!

edit on 4-3-2015 by StopWhiningAboutIt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

I'm sure I read about this last year.
If I recall correctly this was reported by the Guardian in November/December.

Yeah Its weird that this particular post is surfacing in the last 24 hours, could be an understaffed weblog .....of course sometimes i'm amazed at how my soap smells like flowers when there are no flowers in it

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: StopWhiningAboutIt
The documents on the spying, obtained by The Intercept from NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, shine a light on New Zealand’s role in the so-called Five Eyes, a surveillance alliance that includes electronic eavesdropping agencies from New Zealand, the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia.

Oh my! This info was revealed about 8 years ago on a very informative conspiracy site...

We already sidestep all sorts of domestic surveillance issues by having Echelon distributed. All that will happen is that for the ones they'd like monitored, they'll try to get a FISA warrant but if it's too big a problem, then Canada or Australia will "discover" the traffic and report it through diplomatic channels.

That's the way we do it for them, too. They can't always observe their citizens directly so they get us to do it. It's ok if they get an 'unsolicited' report from a friendly nation. They just can't get the info themselves. We trade observation tasks all the time.

This guy has revealed all SORTS of things on that site years before you heard the same things from Snowden. It's like he works on projects like this. It's arcane, possibly uncanny or eldritch.

edit on 4-3-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

A guy called Nicky Hager? Is writing a book. This spying stuff is in it. That's way its surfaced. He wrote a book a few years ago called hallow men. Caused a uproar and pretty much ended the prime minister wannabe don brash from getting elected.
But this is sort of old news, nz had a election last year and Kim dotcom was running. He had a conference with snowden and assage? explaining how the government was spying on everyone. It was live on TV. But public seemed to not care and that was the end of it.
Maybe this new book might make some traction, the current prime minister is running around at the moment calling Nicky Hager a nutter.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I cant believe how this paranoia is taking over everywhere....
The secret psychological principles developed over the last decades work beautifully.....
See these nations twist and turn in the winds of someone elses certainty.....
ECHELON.....
Like heroin...once the intel guys get a taste of this stolen traffic they only want more.....
It wont end well.......

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Eavesdropping on whales, Spying on Tasmanian devils, Fiji fisheries and stalking on Tahitian beauties. And avoiding Austrilians at any cost. Tough job and somebody has to do it.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This sort of stuff only suprises the general public. And the only time nations make a big deal about it is when it is made public. Otherwise everybody has been spying on each other since the first city states. Not only is it common, it is also smart. Even your closest allies will have some agendas that may cross your own. That is the sort of thing you want to know ahead of time. This is the way it has always been and it is the way it will always be. And the public will remain suprised everytime they hear about it.

top topics

join