It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Carson: Prisons prove being gay is a choice

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
So do you have to have a candidate that agrees with your own ideology 100% in order to get your support?

Cuervo's trying to reason with you... Silly Cuervo!

Nice job of putting words in Cuervo's mouth, though.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

So do you have to have a candidate that agrees with your own ideology 100% in order to get your support?

Cuervo's trying to reason with you... Silly Cuervo!

Nice job of putting words in Cuervo's mouth, though.

I just asked a question.

No need to hate.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Dr. Carson is the perfect GOP candidate as he exemplifies the ideology and thinking of most Republican conservatives.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Ben is, perhaps, missing the point that sexual preference isn't a black and white issue: it's a spectrum imo. A sliding scale where there would be 100% straight on one end; 100% gay at the other with bi being 50/50 either way, with every other combination in between.

On this continuum I would come out as 85/15 Straight/Gay. I've only ever had straight relationships, but if I were locked up with only men for any length of time I might dabble - who knows?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Does this, will this, have an impact on how he leads as president?

You don't think his thoughts would have any impact on marriage equality? If not, then I would agree. But, so far, Ron Paul is the only conservative politician I've seen who doesn't let his own personal prejudices get in the way of his thoughts on freedom.

This is why liberals largely vote for liberals and conservatives for conservatives. It's because we all understand that the person they are voting for plays the game with a bias and will push their own agendas. There are gay republicans out there who would never vote for this guy because it's a pretty sure bet he won't advocate for marriage equality. So it totally has an impact on how he would likely lead as a president.

No, of course not. But we are all inclined to vote for the candidate with views as similar as possible to our own. If a candidate has personal beliefs that mimic people who hate a very intrinsic facet of your life, wouldn't you steer clear of them?

Again, there are politicians who will act against their own prejudices in the name of civic duty but they are rare. We need more of them but the left and right fear folks that can make that distinction.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: NavyDoc

But that would make it a choice then? If your only option (not only, masturbation has been invented for a long time, LOL) is to choose to engage in homosexual behavior, wouldn't that indicate that, at least in some cases, homosexual behavior is a choice?

Sure, anybody who acts in a sexual way, gay or straight, chose to do so.

But you can't control attraction. I can't control or choose the fact that I am attracted to men and not women.

Engaging in homosexual activity doesn't make you homosexual either. A lot of people experiment and figure out what their sexual orientation is through those experiences.

Prison, probably not the place a lot of that gets done by choice if you know what I mean.

~Tenth

It doesn't? That's kind of the definition.

I think the error is that people want to find "the single cause" for things when most things in life are usually the result of many factors from genetics to environment to chemical/hormonal influences to developmental issues.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

a reply to: tothetenthpower

Is his opinion that important?

Can he become president?
Can he lead the nation?
Does he have qualifications?

All this does is justify every idiotic statement and lie made by Obama. Yet all we heard from that camp was "racist!"

hmmf.

I've come to the conclusion that there will never be a candidate that agrees with me 100%.

But that's because my ideology isn't given to me like marching orders.

If we are going to dismiss every candidate because they;
A) Say something stupid
B) Don't agree with me 100%

Then that simply shows how small and narrow-minded people have become.

But I will simply let people's own opinions determine how weak and narrow-minded they are.

That's why I enjoy free speech.

Good point. Let's take a page from the Obama-bot playbook. All this criticism of Carson is because of RACISM!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Lmfao I wonder if Carson thinks that aging is a choice too? I mean you start school when you're around 5 years old and when you finish with the whole thing you're 18-19 years old!

Clearly a choice

The guy is obviously smart, it's just sad to see republican candidates having to stoop down this low in the intellectual ladder in order to even have a remote chance at winning the nomination.

link   

I agree that it's a variety of factors. Personally, I believe it's genetic + environmental conditions that will sway your sexual orientation one way or another. It's a spectrum if you ask me. You aren't born with a completely formed brain, those sorts of things develop over time.

We've shown that people raised in certain environments are far more likely to be violent for example, or addicted to drugs etc. All conditions that are at the base level, caused by chemical reactions in our brains.

It's certainly not insane to think the same would be true for sexual orientation.

~Tenth

link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I think we have lost focus as to what is needed in a president or presidential candidate.

Everyone sees problems.

But each candidate has his/her own individual solutions.

And that's what we should be voting for.

The solutions that are needed to correct the problems.

Is a persons viewpoint on homosexuality going to influence the solutions?

Not sure how "gay" will effect taxes, foreign policy.

As for the "gay" issue, the Supreme Court will decide that soon enough regardless of what the president wants or feels.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
How can one person be so smart and so stupid at the same time?

The act of same sex does not mean you are gay. Or make you gay.
edit on 4-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc
Let's take a page from the Obama-bot playbook. All this criticism of Carson is because of RACISM!!!!!!

If you think the cries of racism by so-called Obama-bots has been ridiculous, and you choose to indulge in the exact same behavior, aren't you being just as ridiculous? Shall people start calling you a "Carson-borg" because you defend his positions no matter what?

Stupid games...
edit on 3/4/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
OK.
So what?
THEY can do as they please. It's their right under Constitutional edicts that are emplied.
They cannot expect the rest to recieve them how they would choose,Christianity won't accept them into it's collective fold for the most part.
But the choice is all theirs to make.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

a reply to: Cuervo

I think we have lost focus as to what is needed in a president or presidential candidate.

Everyone sees problems.

But each candidate has his/her own individual solutions.

And that's what we should be voting for.

The solutions that are needed to correct the problems.

Is a persons viewpoint on homosexuality going to influence the solutions?

Not sure how "gay" will effect taxes, foreign policy.

As for the "gay" issue, the Supreme Court will decide that soon enough regardless of what the president wants or feels.

But you are positioning that argument as if social issues are not problems and that the only problems are the concrete ones that involve money or war.

If Ben Carson came out and said "I think gay folks are disgusting freaks of nature but I will do everything in my power to assure they are able to legally marry in all 50 states" (assuming that it doesn't happen soon, anyway), then I wouldn't let his personal prejudice cross him off my list. But socially conservative politicians sooooo rarely take that stance. Their stance is normally along the lines of "My mamma raised me to hate such-n-such therefore I will take steps to promote legislation that works towards its demise, regardless of any irony it inflicts upon my platform of freedom".

Don't you see? If a liberal was very anti-gun, wouldn't you assume he or she would promote legislation that would infringe upon your 2nd amendment rights? It's a fair assumption because it's normally correct. It sucks that it's correct and we need more exceptions to that rule but that's the way it is for now with nearly every politician.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Did we expect anything else from these GOP clowns running for president?

And this guy is a doctor!

Doctor of stupidity

People getting raped in jail proves gay choice!

This guy is a real creep

Rand Paul is Abraham Lincoln compared to him

Jeb Bush is George Washington

Obama is Nelson Mandela

...and he will probably for a time, unless he unleashes more ignorance like this, be the front runner
edit on 4-3-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
! it's the only option
2 it's a form of control, intimidation, the people engaging are predators to begin with..the victims go along as a method of survival if they cannot defend themselves.
This guy is a complete moron..I expect nothing less via the GOP.
This is almost as humerous as the Marjuana Rabbits thread

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: NavyDoc
Let's take a page from the Obama-bot playbook. All this criticism of Carson is because of RACISM!!!!!!

If you think the cries of racism by so-called Obama-bots has been ridiculous, and you choose to indulge in the exact same behavior, aren't you being just as ridiculous? Shall people start calling you a "Carson-borg" because you defend his positions no matter what?

Stupid games...

Sarcasm is lost I guess.

Racist!

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I agree that it's a variety of factors. Personally, I believe it's genetic + environmental conditions that will sway your sexual orientation one way or another. It's a spectrum if you ask me. You aren't born with a completely formed brain, those sorts of things develop over time.

We've shown that people raised in certain environments are far more likely to be violent for example, or addicted to drugs etc. All conditions that are at the base level, caused by chemical reactions in our brains.

It's certainly not insane to think the same would be true for sexual orientation.

~Tenth

I have to agree.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

~Tenth

I agree with you to a point, but support the sliding scale. (Spectrum?)

I think there are those born at the far ends of the scale that nothing, no social or environmental influence is going to change who they were born.

I think most people are born closer to the middle and would be bi-sexual if not for social and belief constraints.

I am fascinated by the "newish" studies of brain scan and the "elastic" brain. We certainly don't know it all.

edit on 4-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I went looking for an image of poor confused Mr. Carson to use when I tweet this thread, and found this one… and couldn't resist.

I didn't put the speech bubble in the tweeted version.

Sorry, I know, that's bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join