It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Carson: Prisons prove being gay is a choice

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: iDope
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Lol, this accusation makes a lot of sense [sarc], as it explains why children go through brutality in school because of their "gay" tendencies that are unbeknown to them, literally built into them. I have seen many instances through out years of social work where young boys act very flamboyant (age 6-10) and there is no reason they should be as neither of their parents have taught them to be that way. So, these kids would learn from getting bullyed and beated from acting that way and change, if it were a matter of choice. I have had many homosexual friends throughout my life, a few very close to me. One I was roommates with throughout college and I could tell he was likely gay before he ever came out (he was never interested in girls, was always into fashion, having sleek stylistic furniture, but did not have a lisp or act flamboyant in anyway, etc), and I was the first person he ever told that he was.

I can tell anyone 100% it is not by choice. The prison=gay claim is only because their is a distinct system, a heirarchy consisting of only men, where the weaker will be broken into submission by others. This is a created system that puts highly sex craved men around other men that are willing to submit, get analplunged, in order to divert from being beaten and harmed. It is not every man that comes out gay, typically the "top" will not come out of prison gay, why is that? they just want to get their dick wet and they have no other option, but I guarentee if their was a Big Fat Betty that these men could pass around by earning her from good behaviour, they most certainly would rather have that fat butt over some hairy butt.

Bravo, you're exactly right. I've seen and met children and young adults that have exhibited clear same sex tendencies. Kids not even aware of sexuality or what's approved by society or not. You don't decide what sex you're attracted to like you're picking out a pair of pants. It just comes off as incredibly ignorant to me. It's essentially saying that every single LGBTQ person out there can just turn off their preference like a light switch, because it's a decision they made. And that must be why those pray away the gay camps and programs work so well for people shamed into trying to go against their own nature. I guess that's also why there's a high rate of suicide amongst the LGBTQ population. They must kill themselves because they just don't want to make the choice to be straight or "normal" right?

Please...

Does anyone else in here remember the day when they decided to be straight or choose which sex they were attracted to? You probably remember the first attraction you had. But, do you remember saying to yourself, I choose women or I choose men. It's not that simple.

So many people, still living in the gender stone-age.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
LMAO....hahahahahahah.

uhahahahahahaha.

hahahahahahahahaha

I'm literally blue in the face right now, I just can't stop laughing.

Source

Washington (CNN)Ben Carson says homosexuality is a choice because many people "go into prison straight -- and when they come out, they're gay."

The neurosurgeon and potential Republican candidate for president in 2016 made the comment in an interview with CNN's Chris Cuomo that aired Wednesday on "New Day."

Asked whether being gay is a choice, Carson responded: "Absolutely."

"Because a lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight -- and when they come out, they're gay. So, did something happen while they were in there? Ask yourself that question," Carson said.

That argument, Carson said, "thwarts" the notion that homosexuality isn't a choice, which is at odds with the majority of the medical community, including the American Psychological Association, who says "most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation." Slate's Mark Joseph Stern also outlined the scientific arguments against this particular belief last year.

Can you believe this idiot?

~Tenth

I believe this man. He shares the same opinion on the matter as do I. Nothing more to say here.... moving on.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Im still waiting to hear someone who believes that being gay is a choice, to explain when they chose their sexuality. And how long they struggled with that choice.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It's really something that so many can parse out all the permutations of choice a prisoner has regarding anything. Meanwhile the acceptable range of choice for American presidents seems now to be a Bush or a Clinton. One population is not free. Not free. The other population is relatively free. Coke or Pepsi. Lowes or Home Depot. Bush or Clinton.
In my opinion the American cultural sexual maturity is something like a horny teenager: uninformed, ambivalent, confused, easy to arouse, quick to feel shame. We always fly into righteous outrage or horror or disgust or lust with every Super Bowl boob or boob slip or presidential penis, whatever. In my opinion, Americans accept staggeringly bad information regarding sexuality, especially homosexuality, which is too much for an average American to deal with. It's enough to make his head explode. And That's why politicians play the gay card every cycle. It, like other emotion- producing issues like flag burning, are guaranteed to clog the heads of American voters, rendering them useless at considering anything else. I've proved this to myself a hundred times. I'll teach you. All you have to do is point this out to a person that these issues are used by politicians to consume his thoughts and emotions to the exclusion of all other considerations. You will barely have named two of these issues ( same sex marriage and flag burning) when your test subject will cut you off to say "Well, as for Me, I think so and so about gay marriage and I think this and that about flag burning.....", fully consuming him like a brush fire. And that person will not get the point that He just acted it out to the full degree. Works every time, no matter how much I prepare the idea that it is a trap into which a dupe falls.
It's going to happen here. Gay marriage. Flag burning.
edit on 6-3-2015 by Reddaysun because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2015 by Reddaysun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Maybe heterosexual desires are involuntary, or even natural? Crazy thought, I know.

Breathing is natural; babies don't choose to start breathing. But there are some people who, due psychological problems, are inclined to think obsessively about their breathing and try to actively control it. It's called manual breathing. These people often believe they will stop breathing and die if they do not focus on the act, despite having no medical reason for being unable to breath naturally. Psycho-therapy is successful in regulating anxiety in these people and helping them to breathe normally again.

Our minds have more power over our bodies than most realize. Psychology as a science is barely beyond infancy, and no one can draw with certainty the line between choice and compulsion. That being said, my own observations and conclusions point toward choice being a factor in every action. We make many choices each day. Not all we are aware of.
edit on 6-3-2015 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

I have said this before but its been almost a year, so here goes:

I would estimate that 20% of the population in total is either gay or straight. The remaining 80% have varying feelings of attraction for each gender.

Sexuality is not zero sum in most cases. And it is impacted by genetics, epigenetic markers, environment, and life experience.

My oldest son is gay, and has been gay since his earliest age. Sure, a 2 year old doesn't exhibit sexual traits. But they do exhibit gender traits. My son has identified more closely with feminine gender traits his entire life. By the time he determined he was gay, he was the only one really surprised by the revelation.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Note that I never asked for opinions regarding these issues. I never asked my one hundred test subjects for opinions, but they always kneejerkingly gave them. Neither do I ask for them here, but anyone who reads my little bit will, I predict, have an emotional surge upon making contact with the terms gay marriage and flag burning and be compelled to revisit for the umpteenth time his thoroughly polished opinions on these matters. And some will be so moved as to opine right here. Gay marriage. Flag burning.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
sex with anyone is a choice, however this doesn't mean that sexuality is a lifestyle choice. I think it's just another case of a politician manipulating circumstances and to promote and back up his own agenda, anyone with half a brain will realise even he probably knows what he's saying is crap!!

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc

Anything you are born with can be changed? Sexual attraction is something of the mind, there is nothing that could change this. Think about every single mental "disorder," there are prescriptions for these that can help alleviate certain disorders, but they cannot cure them. There is no pill that can can be taken once and cure you from a neuro-disorder. There is no pill that can be taken repeatedly to cure a neuro-disorder. Therefore, being gay, attracted to the samesex is within the mind, a forced addiction if you will. If being a homosexual was a simple choice, many would not be in the closet for years and years and sometimes a lifetime depending on the year they existed for fear of death or imprisonment. I would like anyone to prove, without a doubt that it is by choice, because their study will never be held in the scientific field as being good science, likely full of confounds, variables, and speculation.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
If he is talking about people who choose to have sex with the same gender, it doesn't matter whether they are in prison or not. It is their choice, location notwithstanding. If he is talking about people who are forced to have sex...that is called rape. Rape is not a sex act. It is an act of violence. Ben Carson has said some brilliant things. And he has said things like this. I cant get a lock on this guy...he is all over the place...

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

I have said this before but its been almost a year, so here goes:

I would estimate that 20% of the population in total is either gay or straight. The remaining 80% have varying feelings of attraction for each gender.

Sexuality is not zero sum in most cases. And it is impacted by genetics, epigenetic markers, environment, and life experience.

My oldest son is gay, and has been gay since his earliest age. Sure, a 2 year old doesn't exhibit sexual traits. But they do exhibit gender traits. My son has identified more closely with feminine gender traits his entire life. By the time he determined he was gay, he was the only one really surprised by the revelation.

Thanks.

Glad your son had you for a parent!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I'm guessing that this candidate is sending up something like "Well self, I've been here at the prison now for awhile......... .definitely no babes here..............
.......horny...............I'm playing for the other team, that's all there is to it!!"
He's not talking about rape, because rape undermines his point.
He's repugnant, as are all the political operators who trot out this old workhorse every election cycle. And this old workhorse still has legs: we're going around in circles right here. A very well worn path. However, there is a very new crop of threads with Gay in the title.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I wonder why it seems so important to some people, that homosexuality is a choice. And I'm going to guess at the reason. It allows for maximum intolerance of gay people. It means that one can square one's personal hatred or disgust of a group with the awkward task of denying that group real equal rights. I believe there are plenty of whopping examples of this equal rights vetting process in American history. And they always play the same: maintain position that the group applying for some rights is something other than fully human. Here is the short list of recent applicants: black people and women. The only bright spot in this process is that at the end of the grim revealing march, we have shiny amendments and landmark pieces of legislation to refer to. Of course the same perspective - that some group is less than human - has been invaluable in other ways. It was a necessary component in the campaign to lessen the numbers of Native Americans. Really helped there. And it is proving once again to be the go-to when it comes to the modern arch enemy, the globally ubiquitous Muslim. We do what we must, right?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

Exactly, everything is opinion because there is no proof. So the entire point of this thread is to try to discredit a man who's education level is 10x the average person on this website with 100% opinion.

This is a conspiracy website, so maybe you should be open-minded to both sides of the conspiracy. Those who say it is, and those who say it isn't.

So I have family members who's prison experience had very little to do with rape, and more to do with fighting. They also stayed in the Texas State Prison system. The entire rape thing is 100% hyped according to them. Being put up to fight someone for under 2 minutes so the guards won't intervene however is very real. The gang system is very real.
edit on 8-3-2015 by Stuship because: ...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

It is the only argument that pushes science to fight proof. I'll stick with it, until it is settled science.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stuship
a reply to: Annee

It is the only argument that pushes science to fight proof. I'll stick with it, until it is settled science.

I personnally find that to be a cop out.

Science has already discovered indicators that sexual orientation is inherent. At least in part.

The complexity of the human body prevents definitive "hard core" black & white proof in a lot of areas.

Not accepting what's already been discovered because it's not "black & white" is kind of ridiculous. It really only proves what position you choose to stand on.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc
a reply to: Honcho

I have always believed it was a choice. Its not MY choice, but I have no issues with someone who has made that choice.

It is ether a choice or a condition. If it is a condition then it based on a physical issue and could be treated like any other condition. If it is a choice then it is based on a personnel issue and not on a physical issue.

For many years the gay society railed against the efforts of people trying to figure out a medical way of "fixing" the issue saying there is nothing medically wrong that needed "fixing". Now the cry has flipped and and it "I was born this way" which implies a physical essence that could be changed.

can't have it both ways.

Personally I stand more behind someone that says 'I choose to do as I do". I may not agree with the choice, but as long as its not hurting me or mine that is up to the person.

If that were the case then everyone would deep down have attraction towards both genders by default. You would only have to make a choice if it were a somewhat difficult thing to decide. When people come to a certain age they don't need to sit around and magically decide what they should or shouldn't be. It's already obvious to them. Sure, people have to struggle with the fact that they are in fact gay, and they may try their hardest to conceal it, due to the fact most societies on the planet demonize homosexually. But they know what they are, just as much as straight people already know what they are.

Not to mention, what sane person would decide to be gay under certain circumstances? As I previously said, homosexuals are often ridiculed and viewed in disgust around the world. Russia has been pushing anti-gay propaganda, Religious zealots often push for anti-gay propaganda. People physically and mentally abuse homosexuals relentlessly, sometimes to the point of death in extreme cases. Homosexuals can be gang raped in order to try and "correct" them. They are time and time again denied certain rights within their respective countries. Gay children get rejected from their families for it often. And the list goes on and on. Yet you can find gay people everywhere. So why? Why would someone deal with the humility, insults, or even risk their lives over a poor choice?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Honcho

People risk their lives all the time over choices.

Many battered women stay with the same man who is beating and torturing them. Why is that?

Many people around the world are tortured and killed because of the religion they believe in. Why don't they change their religion?

Gays don't have the monopoly on being hounded for their choices. It still does not changed the fact that they choice the life style. Which as I have said I have no issue with even if I don't agree with it. No person should be judged for their choices as long as that choice is not hurting any others or is being forced on other.

As far as having attractions to both genders. Don't all people have a form of attraction to both genders at birth? Did you love you mom more then your dad when you where young? Is not love a universal feeling?

But love and sex is not the same thing. We tend to mix the two now ( maybe always).

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Reading some of these responses, I'm inclined to form the opinion that people are confusing the term homosexual.

Homosexuality is being attracted to the same sex. Homosexuality does not mean that a man who is gay is going to behave in an overly effeminate or flamboyant way. Nor does it mean a lesbian is suddenly going to develop masculine behaviours.
Both of those behaviours are lifestyle choices. A lifestyle choice is independent of sexuality. What we choose to wear, how we choose to speak and how we choose to behave are completely irrelevant when discussed in relation to homosexuality. Sure there ARE flamboyant gay men, and there ARE masculine gay women. But there are also flamboyant straight men & masculine straight women, and masculine gay men & effeminate gay women.

It is entirely possible to be both homosexual and not inclined to behave the way homosexual people are perceived to behave. And it is entirely possible to be heterosexual and choose to live in a way which is contrary to your perceived gender role.

(As an aside, I work with a guy who has been happily committed to a woman for about 26 years. They absolutely adore each other. And on Sundays he dresses up as a woman and they both go out on the town as two women. Heterosexual man, effeminate behaviour. See?)
edit on 9/3/15 by JackofBlades because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
That must be why "conversion therapy" is so successful. Because being attracted to the same-sex is a choice. oh wait, conversion/aversion therapies and pray the gay away camps are horribly ineffective and unsuccessful because it's not a conscious decision. And people can't change that even if they try with the help of religions, doctors, and various forms of "therapies".

Again, archaic, stone-aged approach to gender and human sexuality.

Still no one coming forward saying when they decided to be attracted to the opposite sex. What? No one remembers the day they consciously said to themselves that they'll be interested in the opposite sex? lol Right, because it's not a conscious decision who you are attracted to.

edit on 9-3-2015 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join