It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, do you agree that the bible is written ambiguously?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
We see the thousands of different interpretations that can be gleaned from the words in the bible, so do you agree that the bible is written in such a way to cause this division in interpretation?

If God wanted himself to be known, why would he do it in such an inefficient and fallible way? The bible is very inconsistent when it comes to human interpretation, if God knew this would be the case then why would he still go through with it knowing the wars that would be fought over it? I think God could have done a much better job at making himself known than through a ambiguous book that would be preserved by thousands of years by those in power.

So what do you think? This thread isn't only for Christians but anyone interested in the topic. I look forward to the replies.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
As a recovered Catholic, I can honestly say that 99.9% of the Bible is most likely just filler material. I've read the book from cover to cover (and it's a good story really) but the problems are that most of it harkens back to mythology from before it. It borrows from sooo many other mythos around the area it was written (The Epic of Gilgamesh, the Mars Cults, the Egyptian Mythos) that it loses a lot of it's credibility of being from "one true God"

It's a very interesting situation..

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It's metaphor. Inner seeking wisdom. Outer control and sort of like a grimms fairy tale.
edit on 4-3-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
An anonymous book of stories about stories from a particularly illiterate part of the world written over 2000 years ago was always going to be disjointed, inconsistent and vague.

That it spawned 45,000+ separate and incompatible denominations says it all really...

edit on 4-3-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The Bible has lots of truth in it .Probably more truth then what we humans can handle . It does have ambiguity in it as well . That is there for a reason as well .It should humble the person enough for them to say they cant say for sure this or that but we humans have this ego pride thing we have to deal with and so the ambiguity or seemingly ambiguity is a corrective measure . Also if God laid out His whole plan then the evil powers in high places could throw a big wrench into Gods plan . Like in Corinthians when Paul said if they had known Gods mystery they would not have murdered the Lord of Glory .

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
We see the thousands of different interpretations that can be gleaned from the words in the bible, so do you agree that the bible is written in such a way to cause this division in interpretation?

You're so concerned with blaming.

Might as well blame a rainbow for manifesting in such a way as to cause this division in the pure white Light.

👣

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

Maybe you're right blue. The question was loaded to begin with, I apologize. I'll have to start picking my topics a little more cautiously and with better discernment.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

If God wanted himself to be known, why would he do it in such an inefficient and fallible way? The bible is very inconsistent when it comes to human interpretation, if God knew this would be the case then why would he still go through with it knowing the wars that would be fought over it? I think God could have done a much better job at making himself known than through a ambiguous book that would be preserved by thousands of years by those in power.

So what do you think? This thread isn't only for Christians but anyone interested in the topic. I look forward to the replies.

the God of the Bible promised to preserve his word to every generation Psalm 12 6-12. Therefore there is one English Bible that must be wholly preserved, complete, and without error that God has put his approval on. It is up to you to find it, call out to God to show you and then believe he will lead you to it. It will possess something none of the other Bibles have. If you are serious you will find it and you will see those things stand out like cherry's on vanilla ice cream.

I did and ever since I found it I have been at peace with the whole issue of which "Bible is right"

edit on 4-3-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

They all tell the same story though and all Christians have come to the same conclusion: that Jesus died for their sins. The argument that only one translation is right doesn't hold any water when all Christians, no matter what denomination or translation they use, have come to that fundamental conclusion as any other Christian.

Ask any Christian what version is the right one, They will say their preferred one 100% of the time. What makes you so sure your preferred version is more right than someone else's?
edit on 3/4/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

They all tell the same story though and all Christians have come to the same conclusion: that Jesus died for their sins. The argument that only one translation is right doesn't hold any water when all Christians, no matter what denomination or translation they use, have come to that fundamental conclusion as any other Christian.

Ask any Christian what version is the right one, They will say their preferred one 100% of the time. What makes you so sure your preferred version is more right than someone else's?

This is not an issue on whether people come to the same conclusions of their faith. It is an issue on whether God is able to keep his word as promised and to fulfill that promise. any god not able to do so is not worth following. Your words show you do not understand this issue.

Again it is not about a preferred version it is about having the one that God has preserved unto this generation which is in the primary trade language of today, English.

What makes me so sure the one I am reading today is the preserved one? Is that it has somethings no other English Bibles out there has. However if you want me to tell you what it is then it defeats the purpose of you seeking God and having him reveal it to you via your search for the truth on this issue.

I had it revealed to me by the exact process I am challenging you to seek it. Only then can that truth make a profound impact in your life

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
It doesn't happen often, but I think you and I can agree on this one. Ancient religious texts written by men, have to be the poorest choice "god" could have made to present himself to his creation. Unless he wanted division, and Jesus own words might be an indicator of such.
Matthew 10

34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 36 and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.

Note that the bible is often referred to as the sword of the spirit by Christians. Maybe Jesus had more than one meaning in mind when he spoke those words?

S&F.

edit on 3/4/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

This is not an issue on whether people come to the same conclusions of their faith. It is an issue on whether God is able to keep his word as promised and to fulfill that promise. any god not able to do so is not worth following. Your words show you do not understand this issue.

Again it is not about a preferred version it is about having the one that God has preserved unto this generation which is in the primary trade language of today, English.

What makes me so sure the one I am reading today is the preserved one? Is that it has somethings no other English Bibles out there has. However if you want me to tell you what it is then it defeats the purpose of you seeking God and having him reveal it to you via your search for the truth on this issue.

I had it revealed to me by the exact process I am challenging you to seek it. Only then can that truth make a profound impact in your life

I'm confused, only bibles written in English will give me true enlightenment?
edit on 4-3-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

this is about a preservation of His word to all generations. His words were preserved to each one according to the trade language of that day. Any foreign language translation from the preserved English will be just fine for you to read. any foreign language made from the wrong English or from Hebrew and Greek will result in not having a preserved word as promised.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If you think any existing translation is even close to accurate or unedited, you're delusional.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

If he could preserve a book from corruption then why not his children? All people are corrupt right? So why could he protect the bible but not us? Is his bible more precious than his creation?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Christians like to celebrate the ambiguity as a positive not a negative though. How else can you justify the, "it's all a metaphor" explanation?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

When taking a single passage on its own, the bible may seem ambiguous, however, the bible is meant to be interpreted by its own scriptures. Once you know how to let the bible interpret itself, it is very specific.

For example, to this day, few scholars can agree on what city Mystery Babylon actually is, but when you take Zeph 2:12-15, Isaiah 47:7, and Rev 18:7&8 together, it is clear that Mystery Babylon is Nineveh. Apart from each other, these verses are very ambiguous, but together, they form a clear picture. This is why context is key.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Oh, Nineveh, OF COURSE! How could I not see it! The biblez is indeed infallible when you use it to interpret itself.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

You know what else paints a pretty clear picture? Being precise, exact, and consistent across the entire document.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Well, is it coincident that Nineveh happens to be a hot-spot right now, and will probably soon become a war-zone? The city of Mosul is currently occupied by ISIS, which is within Nineveh's boundries.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join