It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery paralysis in children is perplexing parents and researchers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com... e4-aa05-1ce812b3fdd2_story.html

BALTIMORE — For most of the children who fell ill last year during an outbreak of enterovirus, the symptoms were relatively mild — fever, runny nose, coughing and sneezing. But then there was this mystery: More than 100 kids suffered an unexplained, polio-like paralysis that struck quickly but even now continues to stump researchers and upend the lives of the families across the country.

This outbreak is perplexing. It seems related to an outbreak of enterovirus D68, or EV-D68 but the connection is not proven yet. It looks to me at first pass as some very serious form of viral meningitis but how it is spreading is not clear yet. Scary stuff.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Quickly now

we must have the vaccines, those same vaccines people take for Measles and then later get measles LoL

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   
A couple of years ago, my mothers husband got a bad chest infection and then came down with guilliam Barr syndrome, sorry prob not spelt right. Anyway this syndrome paralysises your body even down to the lungs, he almost died had tracotomie to have breathing machine and was in hospital for 2 or 3 months, most people can take up to 2 years to get back to normal body function but I think it took him 6 months, he was very lucky. Is this new thing hitting kids permanent paralysis and is it full body or partial like some strokes, and is it attacking only kids or are adults getting it too. If it's only kids then maybe it's dare I say it VACCINES. I must read more info about it. Thanksa reply to: machineintelligence

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   

My first thought was Guillain–Barré syndrome.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Yes apparantly Gillian barre syndrome (thanks for the spelling) can occur after a chest infection or a somach bug. Weird a reply to: greencmp

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

Sorry to hear about your mom's husband but, glad he did get better eventually!

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Guillain–Barré syndrome does sound similar
thanks for the add. I have to wonder how is it mysterious if it is Guillain–Barré syndrome? Should they not be able to make that diagnosis?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Perhaps, that is not a desired speculation given how closely related to polio it is.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   

I'm a GB survivor, hit me at 18 after I nearly severed my thumb in a meat slicer... WORST pain imaginable and I could only move my eyelids. Still have some nerve damage and residual problems, had to learn how to walk and talk again... It is terrifying and I really feel for the kids and parents that must deal with this similar illness.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Wow unlucky you. My stepfather too could only move his eyelids at his worst that was 2 yrs ago now he does boxing at the gym and all sorts of other gym activities and he is 75 this year. He did the blood exchange thingy majiggy can't remember the name sorry and chelation. Poor kids I hope no one else happens to get whatever they got . Strange it only reported to be affecting kids. areply to: seattlerat

join