It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curt Schilling Goes Full Dad Mode, Gets Revenge When His 17-Year-Old Daughter Is Bullied Online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This is a story about a great dad and daughter and some real scum bags. Former Major League pitcher Curt Schilling (who I have always admired as a human being...not just a pitcher) came to the defense of his daughter after he had tweeted congratulations to her for getting accepted to play college softball. After the tweet, several degenerates made derogatory comments towards his daughter. Curt penned a great response that is shared in the article that I suggest is worth the read.

As a father of my own 17 year old daughter and also a fastpitch softball coach I can tell you how much I can empathize with his situation. There is nothing more important to a father than his children and to have them disparaged...especially when they achieve a major life accomplishment sickens me. I think Curt showed exceptional restraint and focused his anger into a letter which I hope wakes these punks up.

One of these idiot bullies worked for the NY Yankees and another was a member of a prestigious fraternity. It is amazing that these people can't show basic respect and joy for the accomplishments of a fellow young person who is finding success on her journey to adulthood.

Good job, Curt! You showed a great amount of restraint and wisdom in your response. My respect for you has grown even more and I wish your daughter the best in college playing the sport she loves.

Baseball legend Curt Schilling penned a scathing column Sunday targeting a group of individuals who sent sexually derogatory tweets to his daughter over the weekend.

It started when Schilling tweeted a simple congratulatory message to his 17-year-old daughter Gabby for getting accepted into college.

Moments later, Schilling and Gabby’s Twitter accounts were flooded with vulgar, sexually-explicit messages that TheBlaze has chosen not to reprint.

Being a father, Schilling could not stand by and do nothing. The legendary pitcher penned a blistering column on his blog.

www.theblaze.com...
edit on 2015/3/3 by Metallicus because: Fixed Link

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Your link is broken!

Also, there are few things more savage and brutal, than idiots with internet connections and too few brain cells.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I bet Iraq wishes we only got in a tweeting war with them.

Not to say this wouldn't piss me off.

edit on 05331America/ChicagoTue, 03 Mar 2015 15:05:27 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
This is a story about a great dad and daughter and some real scum bags. Former Major League pitcher Curt Schilling (who I have always admired as a human being...not just a pitcher) came to the defense of his daughter after he had tweeted congratulations to her for getting accepted to play college softball. After the tweet, several degenerates made derogatory comments towards his daughter. Curt penned a great response that is shared in the article that I suggest is worth the read.

As a father of my own 17 year old daughter and also a fastpitch softball coach I can tell you how much I can empathize with his situation. There is nothing more important to a father than his children and to have them disparaged...especially when they achieve a major life accomplishment sickens me. I think Curt showed exceptional restraint and focused his anger into a letter which I hope wakes these punks up.

One of these idiot bullies worked for the NY Yankees and another was a member of a prestigious fraternity. It is amazing that these people can't show basic respect and joy for the accomplishments of a fellow young person who is finding success on her journey to adulthood.

Good job, Curt! You showed a great amount of restraint and wisdom in your response. My respect for you has grown even more and I wish your daughter the best in college playing the sport she loves.

Baseball legend Curt Schilling penned a scathing column Sunday targeting a group of individuals who sent sexually derogatory tweets to his daughter over the weekend.

It started when Schilling tweeted a simple congratulatory message to his 17-year-old daughter Gabby for getting accepted into college.

Moments later, Schilling and Gabby’s Twitter accounts were flooded with vulgar, sexually-explicit messages that TheBlaze has chosen not to reprint.

Being a father, Schilling could not stand by and do nothing. The legendary pitcher penned a blistering column on his blog.

Source

These are the kinds of parents children need these days! One idiot lost his job, the other was kicked out of his fraternity! I say good! There ARE consequences for your actions!

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Your link is broken!

Also, there are few things more savage and brutal, than idiots with internet connections and too few brain cells.

I totally agree with you!

Sadly, I make stupid statements and posts from time to time, but I always try to be civil. There is no reason to be cruel to another human being.

Thank you for letting me know about the link. I think the '/'s in the link were causing problems.
edit on 2015/3/3 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Well to be fair, I said that there are few things more savage and brutal than idiots with internet connections and too few brain cells, not that there were NO things more savage and brutal. Obviously war, and its application as foreign policy, is one of the few things!

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Whatever happened to the old saw "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?" There's a lot of wisdom in that. I guess these days if no one can actually see you to belt you in the face for saying it, you can say whatever ugly little thing pops into you head.

One thing about it, at least the world knows precisely who you are.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

As a father of two daughters....

I believe that filtering is far better than vengeance or standing up.

The internet is the idiots soapbox. Yours truly included.

With my children, we teach them to consider the source. And, if you don't like the input from such a source, turn the DAMNED THING OFF.

Thin skin is often a self inflicted wound. You have the choice to allow something to get through your skin, or not.

And if something does unexpectedly get through your skin regardless of thickness of your skin, raise your head, and turn your back. Walk the f&ck away.
edit on 3-3-2015 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I totally agree with you!

Sadly, I make stupid statements and posts from time to time, but I always try to be civil. There is no reason to be cruel to another human being.

Well there is a difference between being human, by definition occasionally stupid, and being wilfully vile toward people. The difference is that one thing is done through lapses in judgement, and the other is a product of total ignorance of standards of conduct.

Thank you for letting me know about the link. I think the '/'s in the link were causing problems.

No worries! That's the beauty of community after all! We have one another's backs, as it were!

Its a good thread, and it deserved functional links.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Yeah, I agree with and gave you a star. I meant to reply to the OP.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I think we all have opinions that people don't like. I know I do, and I don't hesitate to share them because as far as I'm concerned this is what this forum is for - sharing one's opinion, even if it might not be the most popular one all the time.

But I do try not to be excessively cruel about it. I have failed to keep the sarcasm out of my posts on occasion though.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
So one of the main ones got fired, and the other got dropped from his fraternity, and is being investigated.

Flipping awesome!!!!!!!

People need to learn there is a line. Even on the internet.
You reap what you sow.

And I love how he says it took less than 4 hours to find out who they were. At least he took the time to do so.
More parents should, when it comes to bulling.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
protecting your daughter is a good thing. even for dirt bag that sticks the state of RI for 75 plus million.

The video game studio run by the retired baseball star Curt Schilling filed for bankruptcy on Thursday, while Rhode Island and federal officials began investigating the operations of the company, which was buoyed by financial support from the state.

The state lured 38 Studios from Massachusetts in 2010 with the promise of $75 million in loan guarantees. But on May 1, the company missed a scheduled $1.1 million payment to the state and, by the end of the month, had laid off all its employees.

over all it he owed 115 million to RI. and over 150 million altogether to creditors.

no hoorays from me

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
In short - a big THANK YOU to all the awesome dads out there.

YOU GUYS ROCK!
GO TEAM DAD!

Glad to read some of the jerks who tweeted were subject to consequences for their actions.

edit on 3/3/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
We had something similar here in MN recently. minnesota.cbslocal.com... and just before this a 13 year old boy here in Duluth where I live killed himself over bullying. It has gotten seriously bad lately.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Hmmm, he was lucky. He knew the dumba**es who did it, so he could start a revenge.

Usually, the trolls are staying behind a veil of anonymity.

Man, I miss some of the old internet-times (the 90's, to be more specific). I had this tool, called "BlackIce Defender" (went out of sale in 2007, I just learned googleing this) - it was just like in Neuromancer, it crawled back throught the lines and knew more about the person trying to "hack" me than he about me. At least it made the attempt to.

Usually, I went to some kind of anti-abuse-emailadress of the attackers ISP and notified them of that portscanning. And sometimes I got through, I remember a university in another country which did the feat to find the specific user right at his computer, portscanning the internet. Which was quite a no-go those days. He/she was heavily reprimanded, the university's IT-person in charge wrote some days later to me.

Okay, enough of the past. Today, a portscan is nothing. Today, we need tools to remind people on the net that there are ways to find them, to identify them and to initiate retaliation (legal or.. more personal, like OP's story).

new topics

top topics

join