It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans are turning away from organized religion in record numbers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

There are more religiously unaffiliated people in the U.S. today than ever before. Starting in the 1980s, a variety of polls using different methodologies have come to the same conclusion: people who do not identify with religious labels are on the rise, perhaps even doubling in that time frame.

If this is true; the broad implications are enormous, politically, culturally and socially.

The nonpartisan Public Religion Research Institute has documented this sea change in its American Values Atlas, which it released last Wednesday. The fascinating study provides demographic, religious and political data based on surveys conducted throughout 2014. According to PRRI director of research Dan Cox, “The U.S. religious landscape is undergoing a dramatic transformation that is fundamentally reshaping American politics and culture.”

On a personal note; I now have a much deeper spiritual connection than I did when going to the Baptist church of my youth.
However I still sometime attend church with friends, usually a Catholic or Unitarian church. The contrast is astonishing!

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Its hard to stay connected to the church when they teach paganism, yet completely forbids paganism.

The information is available to everyone, that the earliest bibles were changed and added to in the third century. The commonalities between the pagan gods like Mithras etc, and Jesus, even the same birthday. Paul was an enemy of the true Apostles of Jesus and changed all Jesus' teachings to reflect the old Pagan Religions. Too many things dont add up.

Anyone with a thinking brain, is beginning to look at the oldest texts and getting a more realistic view of Jesus and His teachings. If you want to live like Jesus did, then you have to become a Jew. Not a Pagan Christian. Most of us are walking away, wondering what was I thinking?

How can anyone continue to support a religious organization that preaches Pagan Teachings?
edit on 3-3-2015 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

Im not dissing Pagans, I think I am a Pagan Gnostic, lol

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Not surprising.

Now if we could only do something about politics too.

Think of how well holiday conversations would go...

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1
What!?

Judaism is just as pagan as Christianity. And Jesus is most certainly pagan. The very roots of Christianity are pagan. Paul had nothing to do with that. He wasn't even born yet when Christianity came into being.

On Topic: Most Christians will tell you this is nothing more than prophecy being fulfilled. "The great falling away", and a harbinger of the end times. In reality, I think it's American's finally seeing the church(generally) for what it is. A business centered around profit and control.

link   

It's a shame.

So many could benefit from moral teachings garnered from religion.

link   

What is this “sea change” you ask?

There is my take: Organized religion is a false authority that people accept because they are not yet ready to stand on their own two feet. It is a kind of dysfuctional Child and Parent relationship that is passed on by tradition (and the programing of social conditioning) Now people are growing up, reaching pyschological maturity... they are getting past the need for Parent validation.... they accepting the responsibility of being Adults.... I see this as a good thing, if it is indeed the case, but then I could be wrong =(

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

No surprise there. The internet allows for more information exchange than ever. While some people use it to reinforce their beliefs others use it to question them. As more and more question and lack the answers given, the numbers of the non-religious grow.

It'll be interesting to see the religious landscape of this country in a few generations.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

It's a shame.

Who's religion?
edit on 3-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

It's a shame.

Morals like condoning slavery?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

It's a shame.

The problem with garnering moral teachings from religion is once those people look beyond the surface of those teachings they realize those religions have some very immoral teachings as well. For some it could be very confusing.

For example how does a young mind reconcile "thou shall not kill" with a death sentence for cursing parents
If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20 NAB) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

That is just an example, but there are many more. IMO there are much better ways to teach morality than using contradictory religions.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It sounds like the NWO conditioning to stamp out religion and establish Government as God is going well for them. This doesn't bode well for the future.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
IMO there are much better ways to teach morality than using contradictory religions.

Then why aren't we teaching anything that might encourage a greater sense of morality?

Or of you the mind that we have a higher sense of morality now?

(I feel that morals and values and ethics are on a steep decline)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Can you give some examples of the decline you are talking about?

Such as a push to send abused children back to the countries they were abused in or those advocating use of eminent domain to acquire land for a private companies pipeline?

If those are not the type of things you mean apologies.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

IMO there are much better ways to teach morality than using contradictory religions.

Then why aren't we teaching anything that might encourage a greater sense of morality?

)

We are...

I think educational institutions teach morality; at least mine did. Perhaps not in a religious context but from a humanistic and ethical standpoint.

Morality doesn't have to be religious...

My parents taught me right and wrong before I ever went to church or school.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

a reply to: beezzer

Can you give some examples of the decline you are talking about?

Are you serious?

You think we live in a better society now?

That our youth respect the elderly?

That we are more polite and understanding of each other?

Really?

If you believe that we (as a society) have a higher moral sense, then good for you.

I see the decay, the absolute disregard for life (through abortions, murders) the absolute disregard for law.

Don't know what else to say.

Enjoy your perspective, I suppose.

I see things differently.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

)

We are...

I think educational institutions teach morality; at least mine did. Perhaps not in a religious context but from a humanistic standpoint.

Too many aprents have abdicated responsibility for teaching their children.

Good for your parents.

But where you see sunshine and unicorns, I see decay.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The moral teachings from the church in my youth, were taught by inducing fear or guilt in a person. I was too afraid of God to misbehave, and when I did I just felt guilty.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

)

We are...

I think educational institutions teach morality; at least mine did. Perhaps not in a religious context but from a humanistic standpoint.

Too many aprents have abdicated responsibility for teaching their children.

Good for your parents.

But where you see sunshine and unicorns, I see decay.

Why do you think I see sunshine and unicorns? You don't know what I think! What arrogance!

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
uh oh

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join