It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Design student from Philly created a Batman suit out of Kevlar to withstand knives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

A student from Philly created a Batman-like suit that can withstand baseball bats, knives, and punches.

An American student has created a Batman-style suit that can withstand assaults from punches, baseball bats and even knifes.

Jackson Gordon, an industrial design student from Philadelphia University, constructed the armoured suit with money raised through Kickstarter – a global crowd-funding platform designed to aid creative endeavors.

Hoping to raise $1000 to begin the project, Jackson received backing from 17 enthusiasts and raised $1255 – more than enough to begin assembling the suit.

Made from Kevlar and silicone moulds, the Batsuit weighs in at just under four stone and took the 21-year-old from Wayne, Pennsylvania five months to complete from start to finish.

Videoed testing the final product with a friend, Jackson is featured being repeatedly punched in the chest, back and sides while wearing the suit.

Laughing as the blows rain in, Jackson showcases the strength of the soft plates on the side and shoulder area alongside the harder ones, which also hold up well against the impact.

Smiling at the camera in admiration for his suit, The student says: ‘I could do this all day. I can’t even feel it.’

This is the second batsuit created by Jackson, who previously made one based on Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight Trilogy a year before.

What a very neat idea! Incredible really! Now I'd imagine they might be expensive starting out if he tries to mass produce these. I can see all kinds of practice applications, but I can imagine the guys that are "Superhero" of their streets and trying to clean of their town would like to use this. Especially with some of the threats they face. I can imagine cops would want these too, though, some cops I don't know.... They might act more like an evil henchmen than a protector. I think arming them with a superhero suit might make them MORE evil, if that's possible. Definitely an interesting suit though.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
If Google is right, and "just under 4 stone" is actually about 50 pounds, no one is going to be able to use this all day or be able to move efficiently while wearing it. That's a LOT of weight, and for cops that's in addition to a lot of weight (not meant to be a fat joke, but have at it) they already carry on their duty belt.

Being stab proof doesn't mean it's bullet proof. I think a common misconception is that a bullet proof vest is also stab proof.

No idea how hard his buddy was actually punching, pretty clear he backed off when he went for the guys back (which is understandable). It looked good, but that's not hard to fake.

I think a bunch of people got swindled for this kid to create a "superhero" suit.

but I can imagine the guys that are "Superhero" of their streets

Unless it can stop handgun rounds and weighs at least 2/3 less I can't see anyone outside of the idiot superhero movement (embarrassed by Seattle) wanting one of these. I would actually be surprised if the idiot superhero dorks would want one. This seems more suited for cosplayers that want to be a little more legit.

It is certainly a cool idea (so are personal force fields), but unless it weighs a lot less, and can withstand actual bullets, it's basically a useless dorky cosplay thing that people stupidly supported.

Unless I missed something (the article seemed rather sparse) this is not anything groundbreaking. It's basically nothing. It's sewing together something useless that looks cool to certain people.

OP I hope I don't come across as being nasty to you (I like you), I'm just peeved this kid got funding, and that he's essentially fleecing people that don't know more about the subject. It may turn out that I'm completely wrong though. Again, the article seemed to be rather sparse, and what I read/saw was embarrassing.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
If Google is right, and "just under 4 stone" is actually about 50 pounds, no one is going to be able to use this all day or be able to move efficiently while wearing it. That's a LOT of weight, and for cops that's in addition to a lot of weight (not meant to be a fat joke, but have at it) they already carry on their duty belt.

Being stab proof doesn't mean it's bullet proof. I think a common misconception is that a bullet proof vest is also stab proof.

No idea how hard his buddy was actually punching, pretty clear he backed off when he went for the guys back (which is understandable). It looked good, but that's not hard to fake.

I think a bunch of people got swindled for this kid to create a "superhero" suit.

but I can imagine the guys that are "Superhero" of their streets

Unless it can stop handgun rounds and weighs at least 2/3 less I can't see anyone outside of the idiot superhero movement (embarrassed by Seattle) wanting one of these. I would actually be surprised if the idiot superhero dorks would want one. This seems more suited for cosplayers that want to be a little more legit.

It is certainly a cool idea (so are personal force fields), but unless it weighs a lot less, and can withstand actual bullets, it's basically a useless dorky cosplay thing that people stupidly supported.

Unless I missed something (the article seemed rather sparse) this is not anything groundbreaking. It's basically nothing. It's sewing together something useless that looks cool to certain people.

OP I hope I don't come across as being nasty to you (I like you), I'm just peeved this kid got funding, and that he's essentially fleecing people that don't know more about the subject. It may turn out that I'm completely wrong though. Again, the article seemed to be rather sparse, and what I read/saw was embarrassing.

No you and I are good. I agree, he need to find a way to get rid of some of the weight. Bring it down to 20-30 pounds. Maybe then it would definitely be more feasible. Kevlar is supposed to be bullet proof isn't it? If I'm wrong, it's ok to correct me. Is it only a specific brand of Kevlar? I'm curious. I thought all bullet proof vests were made out of Kevlar. Considering the kid got $1200, I'm betting the most he got from one person was around $20. I could be wrong though. He DOES have the right train of thought, now he just has to tweak it to get it work under the ideal conditions.

edit on 3/3/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

You are correct that this suit is unlikely to be both sharp force trauma proof, blunt force proof, and ballistic impact resistant. Few personal armour set ups are.

However, I would argue that four stones in weight OVER THE WHOLE BODY, is not the same as wearing four stones on ones shoulders. It seems to me that the suit goes all the way from the floor to the shoulders, and that the weight being distributed properly would lead to one being much more comfortable in the suit, than a simple measure of its weight would suggest.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
One boot to the nuts and a knuckle sandwich would send him down the road.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Suits of Armour (as worn by Knights) used to weigh up to 6/7 stone so not prohibitive for adult males but WTF Kickstarter:

Kevlar already exists, Body Armour already exists , Kevlar Body Armour already exists:.... Hell lets give him some money anyway as it mentions Batman.

I might pitch for a Bat-a-rang..its like a boomerang- but, the clever part is- I'll make it in the shape of ......a bat!
edit on 3-3-2015 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
One boot to the nuts and a knuckle sandwich would send him down the road.

It seemed as if it were padded oddly there, so I think it had Kevlar there as well.

2nd

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

In basic training, we had ruck sacks and gear that totaled around 70 pounds, and we had to do a 12-mile march with all of that on, over night, and it just happened to be raining--all of that while stopping at different locations to do things like live-fire drills, 100-yard low-crawls through the sand, etc. You wanna talk about chaffing in the nether-bits...

I'm sure further research would get the weight down well below 50 lbs, and I wouldn't think that this would be something that someone would wear all day. Hell, this would actually aid in our LEOs getting in a little better shape. Regardless, this seems like it would be something used only in known high-risk situations, not constantly worn at all times.

new topics

top topics

join