It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actually Helping the Homeless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I see a lot of those videos that go viral where they do 'social experiments' such as the one circulating a few days ago where they put a pretend "homeless" kid on the street to see who would help. Then the film highlights the numerous people who don't help, until one shining person does help (in this example it was an actual homeless person... allegedly). I feel like these kinds of videos are both good and terrible.

On one hand, they are good because they show that there are still a few kind and empathetic people out there who genuinely care for others. On the other hand, I feel like a LOT of these videos exploit these people just for the sake of creating the next viral video. (I'm a cynic).

Today, I saw this video that just really made me smile inside. It's about a woman who saw a problem, and then instead of creating a viral video about it, she created something to actually HELP address the problem.

She made a coat that zips out into a sleeping bag, or a pack when not in use. And she employs people from homeless shelters to make these coats to then give away to the homeless.

For me, this is the absolute best thing I've heard about lately. This woman saw a problem, and took steps to try to fix (reduce) the problem. She's amazing, and I really hope that her idea and organization really takes off. I think it could make a huge difference in so many people's lives. It gives me hope for humanity.

Here is the video

Her non profit organization also has a website linked at the site above, I won't post it here because I'm not sure about the T&C of that. On that website, you can read the stories of some of the people that this project has helped.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

That's a good idea. I think more people should do that.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I keep water bottles & a ton of quarters in my Jeep & I give some to every homeless person im able to.

I've had some interesting conversations about the state of the world & the imminent destabilization/destruction of society and the world as we know it.
edit on 2-3-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
She'd make a better president than any of the last 20 or so, ha.

I'm curious where the funds came from to get this whole thing started?

Empowerment Plan Detroit website

I guess sponsors....? Cool. Hmm, she could be mayor or something and be the one everyone looks up to because she brought Detroit back to a decent city. Just wishful thinking.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
My friend was asked by a homeless guy for some change for food outside of a liquor store. So he went inside and bought him a beer.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
A local group that helps the homeless in my area has urged the public not to give cash to the homeless. They had cards printed up giving the locations and phone numbers of places that help the homeless, and they hand them out to the public. Instead of giving cash to the homeless they want people to hand them a card.
They say that the homeless are hurt by cash, usually spending it on drugs/alcohol.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
My friend was asked by a homeless guy for some change for food outside of a liquor store. So he went inside and bought him a beer.

Who knows if the video I saw was set up or not, but there was one on social media not so long ago where a homeless guy was begging for money near a liquor store. The people trailed him after giving him money and he actually went and bought food to share with other homeless people.
But 9 times out of ten, they would buy liquor with the money.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The worst part of my day is waking up, & I'm not homeless. Id probably buy alcohol also, if I were. I'm pretty sure most humans in general prefer intoxication over sobriety. Homeless people more so, I would think.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It soo much cheaper to just shoot them......................apparently...

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I don't give cash unless my car stock of "stuff for the homeless" has run out (then I still prefer to run into a store and grab something if I have time). I tend to stick with water bottles and MREs, just because it's the most economical for me. I also like to do hand warmers, chapsticks, socks, and bus passes.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
what bothers me is when people want to only give money if they can control how it is spent.

I get that you feel you have the "right" to control how money is spent once it leaves your hands. Its why folks rant about all manner of donation features. But truth be told: you can either choose to give and be done with it, or you can choose to not give and be done with it. Expecting to control how someone spends the coin you grace their palm with is insanity.

RE: videos/social media as a proxy for activism....Koni2012. Most see in retrospect what many still could see in real time: making a facebook post does not equate to activism. Just think about how many folks spent the past summer dowsing themselves with ice water, yet not contributing to the funding of ALS research. And how many times am I suppose to walk around the track before it pays off for cancer research? I guess that just goes to show that even real life activism is often more about self back clapping and good feels. Because lets be honest: at $20k per dose for chemo, I am unsure what kind of funding is needed for research.

RE: the homeless....to those who want to live in society, i wish them well. To those who don't...i still wish them well. Society is hard to cope with. It demands much of you, and can tend to offer little in return. If given the choice of toiling in the face of daily injustice only to see no reward, it is likely I would want to drop out too.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well put. Most of my interactions with homeless, i get the feeling they feel abandoned, and it only gets worse the longer they're homeless before they accept being homeless as a lifestyle.

Homeless guy video....is on topic.

Hm, after watching that video again, i realize he hasn't fully accepted responsibility for his actions, but maybe more so blames "church". Which i can relate to, ha. Some just need someone to talk to them, encouragement, confidence.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I understand your cynicism. For me, I see a person who is troubled enough, by something, to have to resort to panhandling. To me, I don't care what their problem is, I help them if I can. My wife and children do the same. These people are YOU. LOVE.

a reply to: butcherguy

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Your parents must be as proud as punch of you. I know I am !! LOVE....

a reply to: MojaveBurning

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning
I see a lot of those videos that go viral where they do 'social experiments' such as the one circulating a few days ago where they put a pretend "homeless" kid on the street to see who would help. Then the film highlights the numerous people who don't help, until one shining person does help (in this example it was an actual homeless person... allegedly). I feel like these kinds of videos are both good and terrible.

On one hand, they are good because they show that there are still a few kind and empathetic people out there who genuinely care for others. On the other hand, I feel like a LOT of these videos exploit these people just for the sake of creating the next viral video. (I'm a cynic).

Today, I saw this video that just really made me smile inside. It's about a woman who saw a problem, and then instead of creating a viral video about it, she created something to actually HELP address the problem.

She made a coat that zips out into a sleeping bag, or a pack when not in use. And she employs people from homeless shelters to make these coats to then give away to the homeless.

For me, this is the absolute best thing I've heard about lately. This woman saw a problem, and took steps to try to fix (reduce) the problem. She's amazing, and I really hope that her idea and organization really takes off. I think it could make a huge difference in so many people's lives. It gives me hope for humanity.

Here is the video

Her non profit organization also has a website linked at the site above, I won't post it here because I'm not sure about the T&C of that. On that website, you can read the stories of some of the people that this project has helped.

If I'm near a McDonald's or some kind of food place, I go inside and buy them some food and drinks. Or if I'm at the grocery store, I buy them premade sandwiches and grab some mayo packs, plastic cutlery, bottled water and Gatorade (for electrolytes) and some other things to go with their sandwich. I've been doing this for years! If it's cold outside, I buy gloves as well. There's one homeless guy near my sister's in NC with one leg in a wheel chair, he loves orange Gatorade and sandwiches. Every time I visit her, if I see him outside, I go in and buy him his favorite stuff and come out with two to three days worth of food for him. The last time I saw him it was freezing outside and he was reading the Bible and his hands were red, so I ran into Family Dollar next door and grabbed him some gloves, so he could read, and not be so cold as well. He is really a sweet guy but the shelters are usually full by the time he goes, so he sleeps in a tent out in the woods. I've given him blankets for the tent in the past.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Are you in England? Last year, I listened to a radio debate all about this issue with homeless charities all supporting the idea that giving money directly to homeless people was a bad idea and requesting donations be given to the charities instead.

Not one mention of the fact that cuts to local government services meant many homeless charities were hit by these cuts as local authorities were no longer providing funding to them!

In essence, homeless charities were taking food/drink/bed for night away from homeless people, thereby encouraging dependency upon their services! Do-gooders doing bad.

edit on 2/3/2015 by teapot because: add

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
I understand your cynicism. For me, I see a person who is troubled enough, by something, to have to resort to panhandling. To me, I don't care what their problem is, I help them if I can. My wife and children do the same. These people are YOU. LOVE.

Is it my cynicism? Or is it the group that actually helps the homeless that are telling us that giving them cash doesn't help them as much as it hurts them?
I didn't say anything about giving them food, water or a warm place to sleep. I was talking about what a group that has as it's sole purpose to help homeless people said.
Yet I am the cynic.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: teapot

Are you in England? Last year, I listened to a radio debate all about this issue with homeless charities all supporting the idea that giving money directly to homeless people was a bad idea and requesting donations be given to the charities instead.

Not one mention of the fact that cuts to local government services meant many homeless charities were hit by these cuts as local authorities were no longer providing funding to them!

No.
I am in Reading.... but Reading, Pennsylvania, USA.
ETA:

In essence, homeless charities were taking food/drink/bed for night away from homeless people, thereby encouraging dependency upon their services! Do-gooders doing bad.

Some charities are a business. I knew a lady that worked for a charitable organization that was making 6 figures. Most of her 'work' seemed to consist of going to money raising dinners and attending some meetings. That is wrong, IMO.
edit on bu312015-03-02T15:32:39-06:0003America/ChicagoMon, 02 Mar 2015 15:32:39 -06003u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning

Here is the video

That certainly helps the homeless but the real goal should be ending homelessness (something I realize is beyond the ability of the woman who is, at least, doing something practical). There are two main categories of homeless people: those who have fallen on hard times and, with a hand-up, can get themselves back on their feet and the other, much larger, category: the mentally ill and addicted/severe alcoholics who are run through the social service system over and over and use up 80% of the funds for the homeless. Separating people into these two categories is a first step. The solution to helping the first group is obvious: give them housing and a way to make a living. The problem with the second group is that they won't cooperate. This raises the question of whether they should be forcibly removed from the streets.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
It does exploit them but at least the subject matter is what really counts.

There have been other projects to help homeless awareness that have gotten a lot more critisim.

Take Bum Fights for example.

new topics

top topics

join