It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Savings Card Scam - Getting ripped off.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
G'day ATSers,

Just a short post to make you aware of a savings card scam my wife and I were a victim of recently.

We live in Aussie, don't use credit but have a savings card into which our earnings are deposited and pay by that card for bills, etc..

Just did my Monday morning check of the account and found that small amounts have been debitted to the account the last 4 days. (over the weekend) Amounts ranging from 20 to 50 dollars. A check of the company accessing the card revealed - "ORDER.WISH.COM" SAN FRANCISCO CA 0301. Maybe our american friends can help me out with that one.

Anyway, straight to the bank, had the card cancelled and will have to wait until the payments are investigated - about 5 to 6 weeks before any payments can be recreditted to the account.

In saying all that we are very careful with our respective cards and I guess now anyone can fall victim to a scam like this where it appears the card was hacked. Funny that this particular card was not used to purchase on line at any time. I wonder how many others were hit or perhaps will be hit.

I will probably check my account more frequently now down to the smallest withdrawal. The dirtbags have ripped us off and I'm glad I checked the account when I did else it could have been worse.

Cheers' beers and watch you transactions,

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Glad you caught it quickly!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

So am I Elton, so am I. Hope this post might help others.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I check my balances a few times a week, I've had my Credit card info stolen before.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

That's terrible, did the bank eventually recredit you?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I had my card numbers stolen and used to pay for train and bus tickets in Spain. Being in the U.S and not having traveled to Spain, I knew something was wrong. Went straight to the bank, told them what was going on and had them check my account. Only took them about 15 minutes to get my money back.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Yes, it took a month or two and some letters back and forth.

They ordered stuff to an address in Georgia and I've never been there.
The bank was pretty good about the whole thing.
edit on 1-3-2015 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Arround early 2000s my dad had some charges in Russia, it was like 30 bucks and the bank returned it pretty fast.

I don't know how it works but most of the time they don't target you, they steal massive amounts of information from banks and them charge small amounts to thousand of cards.

------

Also most cards now have a chip and PIN, but the magnetic bands ones can be cloned by just sweeping the card in a special reader, in some places there are gangs dedicated to clone cards and sell bulk information to others, this was very common in restaurants and places you gave the card and they took it to the device while you wait.
edit on 1-3-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

link   

I'm glad of that.

link   

There is a company HIGHLY advertised on facebook, wish.com. The are located in San Francisco Contact Info .
I've heard rumors of scams going on with "wish,com".

Hackers suck! I don't know how they got you info if you haven't issued your card number over the net, unless they "hacked" the issuer of the card maybe.

Good luck to you, I'm tired of seeing good people getting robbed!
edit on 1-3-2015 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Leastways, glad you got your money back quickly. Gotta wait a few weeks for mine. I'll be watching out in future for account scams.

Bally

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917

There is a company HIGHLY advertised on facebook, wish.com. The are located in San Francisco Contact Info .
I've heard rumors of scams going on with "wish,com".

Hackers suck! I don't know how they got you info if you haven't issued your card number over the net, unless they "hacked" the issuer of the card maybe.

Good luck to you, I'm tired of seeing good people getting robbed!

Thanks for that. I'll look into this now and perhaps pass it onto the bank. I reckon that might help. Couldn't find anything on the dirtbags myself.

Cheers,

Bally

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I saw a news clip a while back where, if you use your card at a store (Dollar General, Walmart, Grocery store etc.) there is a smart phone app that can steal that data! I'll go try to find it to post...

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

Good stuff,

I sent an email to that contact you provided. Hope to get a reply.

Won't hold my breath though.

Bally

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It appears all you have to do now is have it in your pocket:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

Wow, haven't seen that. Tin Foil cover for my wallet and/or card now.

Great vid,

Bally

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I'm not sure of your card offers it, but I have a card I use only online and I receive a text message almost instantly every time I use it. IT also states the balance in the text so I can see instantly how much I have and how much was just removed.

It might be worth checking into to see if your card offers the same service. At least that way you could catch it right then and there.

edit on 3/1/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Sorry you experienced this. I just read this week that the perpertrators make a habit of just taking small amounts that we'd not really miss or question too much...say $1 or even $.50.

$1 from say from like a few hundred thousand accts from all over that we'd hardly question because its so small...would make them $100,000 or higher...off just a buck from each acct. hacked/charged...and that's on a day to day basis.

Good luck and sorry this has happened to you. Thanks

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Thanks Kanga, haven't looked into that one. Generally I go on line Mondays to budget for the week or irregularly to check how much I got to spend. I like being in the black so to say and have funds to cover expenses. I'll be checking more often now and may look into that bank App if its that efficient.

Thanks for looking after me.

Bally
edit on 1-3-2015 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Cheers mystery man,

I imagine I'm one of many and as you say it could add up to many thousands if not millions from small unnoticeable transactions. I've only been stung for a small amount and in all likelyhood should get it back. I feel sorry for those that lose their life's savings or pensions and are stuck without means of support.

Leastways I can keep going and pay the bills and put tucker on the table.

Bally

top topics

<<   2 >>

join