It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maduro claims Venezuela has detained Americans for 'espionage'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said Saturday an unspecified number of Americans were arrested "a few days ago" for engaging in espionage and recruitment activities.

The President said they included an American pilot of Latin American origin, arrested in the southwest border state of Táchira.

He said the pilot was found in possession of "all kinds of documents" and was being interrogated by the authorities, though he did not identify him. The Venezuelan government has made many similar claims in recent years, without ever substantiating them.

Venezuela has in recent weeks accused the United States of being behind an alleged coup plot.

Maduro claims Venezuela has detained Americans for 'espionage'

I wonder if he will verify this claim, unlike previous claims in the past? I'll be curious. I doubt the US will verify it. At least, not publicly, unless the family of the pilot comes forward to verify it. Any thoughts? Is this another propaganda from either side?

Maduro also announced Saturday a series of measures, including visa requirements for U.S. citizens and the downsizing of the U.S. Embassy in Caracas, to counteract what he called U.S. "interference" in his country.

Speaking at an "anti-imperialist" rally in the capital, Maduro said visas would now be required for all U.S. visitors and that the U.S. Embassy in Caracas would now need foreign ministry approval for any meetings. The Embassy, which he said had more than 100 staff, is to be reduced to a number closer to the 17 Venezuelan diplomats based in Washington.

Moreover, a group of prominent U.S. officials, current and retired, will be banned from entering Venezuela because of what Maduro said was their involvement in "bombing Iraq, Syria and Vietnam" and other "terrorist" actions. The officials include George W. Bush, former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney, former CIA Director George Tenet and several current members of Congress, including Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Bob Menendez and Mario Diaz-Balart.

Things are definitely getting interesting down there. I'll be watching very closely to see if anymore mention is made about the pilot. I have heard mention that 4 Missionaries were detained with the pilot, then I heard another article this morning stating they were released.

Diplomatic staff will now get cut, Visa prices will go up, so essentially everything we are doing to them, they are going to do to us. It has now become a game a "tit for tat". I feel like it's two kids fighting over who's ball it is. Hell with it, it's mine, just give it to me, now you can't fight. If this is seriously how rulers of this country and other countries rule, they should just let parents rule the world. We can stop fighting kids with a look!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Remember, Venezuela cannot even supply enough toilet paper to its people, what is to bet these people arrested will be traded for toilet paper!

www.news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

so essentially everything we are doing to them, they are going to do to us. It has now become a game a "tit for tat". I feel like it's two kids fighting over who's ball it is.

It's the way its done always, it's called Reciprocity

edit on 1-3-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Eh, it's their country, they can enact whatever measures they please. If we're meddling in their affairs (which I do not doubt) then they have every right to react in such a manner. After all, if they did this to us in our country, we'd do the same thing (and probably worse)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Scary. I know people down there from a past life. Sounds like 'harm's way' may well have caught up to them.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
What reason could have USA to spy Venzuela? Are they assisting our enemies?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Errr Regardless of what Maduro do or say USA spy every country in the world, friend or foe

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Well ask yourself what reason do they have to be spying on you

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I had hoped that with the death of Chavez there would at least be a thawing of relations between the countries.Guess i was too optimistic.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I see Russia's nubby dirty finger all over this....

Link

The navies of Russia and Venezuela are planning to hold joint military drills in the southern part of the Caribbean Sea, near US territorial waters, a source says.

The military exercise is scheduled to take place in the second half of the year and will involve a unit of Russia’s Northern Fleet ships and Venezuela's Air Force planes, Interfax-AVN news agency quoted an unnamed military-diplomatic source as saying on Thursday.

Venezuela and Russia have been buddying up for a while.

Russia Boosts Arms, Training for Leftist Latin Militaries
Link

BY: Bill Gertz
February 20, 2015 5:00 am

Russia agreed to provide military training for three leftist regimes in Latin America and increase military visits and exercises following a visit last week to the region by Moscow’s Defense Minister Sergei Shoygu, Pentagon officials said.

Shoygu met with defense and military leaders in Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua and signed several agreements on warship visits and military training during the visit, which ran from Feb. 11 to 14. It is not clear whether any new arms deals were completed during the visit.

Defense officials said the Russian leader is seeking bases in the region for strategic bomber flights that Shoygu recently promised would include flights over the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean.

Need I say more?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

Good call. Something to take the heat off back home in the motherland. The problem is America has it's own dirty history in Latin America working against it in cases like this, but this really does smack of Russian maneuvering.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

He wont.. He is using the same excuse Chavez used. He made the US into a boogeyman and accused them of being behind all of his failed policies.

Since the current President is running the country further underground he needs someone to blame.

edit on 1-3-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AreUKiddingMe
I see Russia's nubby dirty finger all over this....

Link

The navies of Russia and Venezuela are planning to hold joint military drills in the southern part of the Caribbean Sea, near US territorial waters, a source says.

The military exercise is scheduled to take place in the second half of the year and will involve a unit of Russia’s Northern Fleet ships and Venezuela's Air Force planes, Interfax-AVN news agency quoted an unnamed military-diplomatic source as saying on Thursday.

Venezuela and Russia have been buddying up for a while.

Russia Boosts Arms, Training for Leftist Latin Militaries
Link

BY: Bill Gertz
February 20, 2015 5:00 am

Russia agreed to provide military training for three leftist regimes in Latin America and increase military visits and exercises following a visit last week to the region by Moscow’s Defense Minister Sergei Shoygu, Pentagon officials said.

Shoygu met with defense and military leaders in Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua and signed several agreements on warship visits and military training during the visit, which ran from Feb. 11 to 14. It is not clear whether any new arms deals were completed during the visit.

Defense officials said the Russian leader is seeking bases in the region for strategic bomber flights that Shoygu recently promised would include flights over the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean.

Need I say more?

maybe Mother Rusky can be kind enough to give them some toilet paper during the drills. LOL

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Eh, it's their country, they can enact whatever measures they please. If we're meddling in their affairs (which I do not doubt) then they have every right to react in such a manner. After all, if they did this to us in our country, we'd do the same thing (and probably worse)

Oh I know this. I don't have a problem with it for the most part. But eventually they keep piling up the "I got you back",

"No, I got YOU back!"

"No I GOT YOU back!"

"NO I GOT YOU!"

Nuh-uh! I got you back infinity and beyond!"

Until it escalates to a point of no return. Eventually someone has to play grown up and back down and come to reason.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj
Is there anything in Venezuela that worthwhile to spy on? As already pointed out, Venezuela is a basket case and a lesson in how not to run a country. Well done Hugo Chávez, your legacy is just fab.

Regardless, it probably helps to keep the nationalistic chest thumping going, and allows Venezuela to blame someone else.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Is there anything in Venezuela that worthwhile to spy on?

If you don't spy on them you wouldnt know don't you think?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Given the history of the US arranging coups, installing puppets and arming, funding and training death squads in latin and central America, perhaps some of those states are maybe a little bit wary and have every reason to blame the USA for past and ongoing troubles.

new topics

top topics

join