It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RT -Russia ready to repel any nuke strike, retaliate – missile forces command chief

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JonStone
a reply to: KeliOnyx

Normally when you start threatening war or in this case nuclear armageddon, it is usually because the threatening party not getting their way. The only card Putin has to play right now is the rattling of sabers.

Probably so, Putin knows he'd lose a conventional war against the US, let alone NATO.

And lose it badly.

Just the US with nothing but F-15 and F-16s would destroy his airforce.

This doesn't even include drones stealths bombers electronic warfare birds or helicopters.

Russia has a lot if ground equipment, but the US Germany France England all have much better tanks APCs, and now have the trophies systems......

Even in a ground war russia would get spanked, as the sorry Tseries tanks are murdered hundreds to one.

The new T-90 is supposed to be good, but that is yet to be seen, and they are in very short supply.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Indeed. The new F-22 seems to be fairly well so far too.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
I just don't see all the nuke rhetoric coming out of our govt, they seem to downplay any real threats of nuclear war actually..

Because its the only thing Russia has left that worries the west. Russia would not win a conventional war with the West and Putin knows this. It would require nukes on their part.

Personally I think its Russia trying to sabre rattle in hopes no one calls their bluff over their Ukraine invasion. I don't think putin is going to stop with just Ukraine so this is how he softens the ground up for his next land grab. Putin is going to do the old "land grab in country B and if the west gets involved then nukes are a possibility" game.

Putin is banking on the view point that he is detached from reality and the west is afraid he will twist off and go nuclear.

The problem with that mindset is the exact same with the boy who cried wolf. At some point a line will be crossed where the unpredictability of Putin will become a national threat to other nations as well as Russia itself.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

the only difference is one is a capitalist place where you can live ok and the other is a dictatorial corruption cesspool.

Infact internal corruption is the biggest THREAT to Russia.........even bigger than US and NATO!!

Generally common US public does not have ill feelings towards Russians now. They had lots of fear and dislike for Communism which is nearly 25 years into history now.

However, the US foreign policy is much hostile and threatening to Russia. It ignores all the good friendly gestures that Russia has shown in last two decades.

Presidents and administrations can come and go but general foreign policy objectives remain intact on certain lines till the time some secret committee of wise men in WH, Pentagon, CIA etc. decide to change the course. I doubt any President is allowed to deviate from this main course even by 25%. That way US is a dictatorial regime under the strings of some invisible group that general people do not know about.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

If your theory is correct, then where do you think the next land grab attempt will be? The rest of Ukraine, some other Baltic state? Even I doubt he would try to annex a NATO country. If so, then I guess we go nuclear cause like you said, Putin obviously knows he can't win a conventional war with NATO.
edit on 1-3-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Completely disagree. Include the F-22s then you statement gains lots of weight.

The new T-90 is supposed to be good, but that is yet to be seen, and they are in very short supply.

T-90 is good but not as good as M1 Abrams. However, for price of 1 Abrams, 2 T-90s can be bought. 2 T-90s will sure win against single Abram or in a similar 2 for 1 ratio.

Putin is going to do the old "land grab in country B and if the west gets involved then nukes are a possibility" game.

Putin is not interested in Land grab. But he does not want Russia's "near abroad" in NATO or hostile alliance. I will end the comment here as answers from the other side are well known and waste of time to discuss any further.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

If your theory is correct, then what do you think the next land grab attempt will be? The rest of Ukraine, some other Baltic state? Even I doubt he would try to annex a NATO country. If so, then I guess we go nuclear cause like you said, Putin obviously knows he can't win a conventional war with NATO.

I think he will go for east Ukraine. After that I think Georgia and Moldova are on the list. Both nations have issues with Russia and having parts of their territory occupied by Russian forces. Considering they are not NATO he might go for the easy grab first.

I do think it is within possibility that he would go for the Baltics. Right now the view point is an EU that cannot agree on how to handle Russia. A NATO who is in the same boat due to the national leadership of each NATO member. I honestly think Putin would see this as an opening to act with the mindset Europe / NATO wont honor agreements.

My line of thought is based on, imo, Putin. I really do think Putin is acting personally and not nationally. His beef with the west boils down to them not "respecting" him as he thinks they should. If you look at official Russian statements you will see they use the word "equals".

To me putin is throwing a temper tantrum and acting out in order to get attention.

I very much hope I am wrong.
edit on 1-3-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: victor7

Putin is not interested in Land grab. But he does not want Russia's "near abroad" in NATO or hostile alliance.

Possible, but I think he wants to have his cake and eat it too.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: victor7

Putin is not interested in Land grab. But he does not want Russia's "near abroad" in NATO or hostile alliance. I will end the comment here as answers from the other side are well known and waste of time to discuss any further.

Crimea was in fact a land grab.
Abkhazia was in fact a land grab.
South Ossetia was in fact a land grab.
Transnistria was in fact a land grab.

There is no "near abroad" and its exactly that mindset that got Putin into the mess he is in. Putin demanding to be treated equal while at the same time holding the view that another nations territorial sovereignty is null and void is one of the very reasons he is not respected.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

If Putin can manage to carry Russia without western sanctions affecting it, then I can see Eastern Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia as a possibility as well. With that said, I honestly don't think Putin cares about sanctions.

This is a tough situation, especially with the threats/rhetoric of nukes. NATO most likely wouldn't intervene in Moldova/Georgia militarily just due to that threat alone.

I hope you're wrong about the Baltics as well, because that WOULD mean nukes flying. I don't see NATO sitting back in that case, otherwise NATO would completely dissolve.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Putin backed himself into a corner / no win scenario when he constantly portrayed Ukraine as a Nazi state. He used that lie coupled with the lies about ethnic Russians and their treatment to justify his action.

Any action Putin takes that leaves Ukraine a whole nation "could" be seen as Putin "giving in" to "Nazis". Putin was playing both sides of the street and with the truth about Russian actions ion Ukraine coming out I think he just got hit by cars in both directions.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

We will see in the coming weeks, I think if his regime crumbles or regains support from the Russian public. Putin may not care about the sanctions, but the test will always be how much of an effect they actually have. If he somehow manages to soften the blow of sanctions, than I'm afraid Russia will do whatever it wants until the unfortunate point at which NATO actually decides to get truly involved.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I don't think he cares about 'the' sanctions either. Seems a small price to pay for a large ROI.

All things considered X has probably voiced the most plausible reasoning for what's going on. That said, it's sure good to be old enough to not be bothered by it.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

The ruble is still performing like crap.
His government had to "freeze" food prices because of the inflation.
He has had to cut the budget by 10% across the board so far.
He is still expecting his military plans to be fully funded.
Putin has shrunk his inner circle to mainly defense / intelligence people.
The economic plans they have tried have all failed.

Who knows.. 2015 is going to be a massive drama.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

That said, it's sure good to be old enough to not be bothered by it.

I'm actually to the point where I feel it needs to get the hell over with, it's inevitable eventually...I was bothered by it as a child and doesn't bother me now. It does bother me however, for the children left in the aftermath.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Who knows.. 2015 is going to be a massive drama.

Bet that. I saw a news report today which suggested Putin may even try a population purge on a Stalin scale. While I wouldn't buy in to that, I agree with you that we haven't seen any real drama in that region yet.

If you ask me, there seems to be a tug-o-war going on with the U.S. pulling the rope from the ME, and Putin pulling from Easter Europe. It's interesting to watch, but it won't be any fun if the rope snaps. Somebody's gonna end up on their ass.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JonStone

Indeed. The new F-22 seems to be fairly well so far too.

If we only sent our F-22s vs all their aircraft in a one vs one for the end game....lol, we would lose 2 or 3 at most.

The F-22 was designed specifically for one purpose, to kill fighter aircraft.

It is like a shark or a crocodile, it is natures perfect predator.

Hence the name "raptor" , "bird of prey" because if it flies it dies.

The F-15 has be far, and "by far" I mean by multiples, the best combat service record of any plane ever made by man, over 200 combat kills, 0 that is a zero with a Z!!!! Losses in combat.

Several of these vs the F-22 lost, and never even saw the F-22!

These things are no bs, they are the real deal.

They are the finality of human fighter aircraft.

They can pull moves that can potentially kill their pilot.

This machine has pushed human piloted flight to its very limit.

The only thing better will have to be machine controlled, as humans can't take a 15G turn multiple times in a couple of seconds.

Machines can, hence drones coming to age.

They can and will.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: victor7

Completely disagree. Include the F-22s then you statement gains lots of weight.

T-90 is good but not as good as M1 Abrams. However, for price of 1 Abrams, 2 T-90s can be bought. 2 T-90s will sure win against single Abram or in a similar 2 for 1 ratio.

Putin is going to do the old "land grab in country B and if the west gets involved then nukes are a possibility" game.

You are right on the price of Abrams vs T-90, but, the US can make 6 Abrams for evey T-90 russia can, even at that price.

Russia's economy is all but nonexistent compared to America's.

So yes they are cheaper, but we have mountains of cash compared to Russia's mole hills.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
If we ever actually manage to make it to all out war with nukes involved I think it would be in the best interest of the "world leaders" to just go ahead and stay in their sealed bunkers forever. If they were to come out, I think whoever has survived may give them the hardest and longest and most painful day in their miserable lives.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

If your theory is correct, then what do you think the next land grab attempt will be? The rest of Ukraine, some other Baltic state? Even I doubt he would try to annex a NATO country. If so, then I guess we go nuclear cause like you said, Putin obviously knows he can't win a conventional war with NATO.

I think he will go for east Ukraine. After that I think Georgia and Moldova are on the list. Both nations have issues with Russia and having parts of their territory occupied by Russian forces. Considering they are not NATO he might go for the easy grab first.

I do think it is within possibility that he would go for the Baltics. Right now the view point is an EU that cannot agree on how to handle Russia. A NATO who is in the same boat due to the national leadership of each NATO member. I honestly think Putin would see this as an opening to act with the mindset Europe / NATO wont honor agreements.

My line of thought is based on, imo, Putin. I really do think Putin is acting personally and not nationally. His beef with the west boils down to them not "respecting" him as he thinks they should. If you look at official Russian statements you will see they use the word "equals".

To me putin is throwing a temper tantrum and acting out in order to get attention.

I very much hope I am wrong.

Sorry, but as a history buff, you called exactly right.

Putin is like Kim Jung in in the movie the interview.

He is mad they make him sit at the kiddie table.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join